What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Spartacus 50th Anniversary Edition (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvdirv

Anyone know why Universal replaced the "Intermission" titles? The replacement on this disc is on a blue background which were not the original titles.

What is your perception of the original titles?

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member

I hae always wondered about the blue backgrounds for the Intermission card and the end title.

I think it was always that way, but it really does look tacky.

My big problem with the new bluray is the sound. It has been processed so that the high end is completely gone !!!

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The blue titles for Intermission and End are fine. It is the Saul Bass designed main titles which IMO are a mess and do not look like the 70mm print of the 1991 Restoration. The Criterion DVD is the worse with wrong colors floating around(green comes to mind) and the aspect ratio is not the same as the rest of the film. Though I've only watched the new Bluray once the main titles-though better than the DVD are still wrong.

While I recall the original 1960-61 prints to be extremely sharp the new Bluray seems to have the wrong color mix. Something is just missing. As far as the sound I believe that the Bluray has it all over the DVD as far as clarity, channel separation, bass etc. However, it is nowhere near the sound mix of a 70mm presentation.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Regarding the blue Intermission and End cards, I will assume until told otherwise that Saul Bass was going through his 'Blue' period as the Main Titles to Exodus 'appear' to be the same shade of blue.

If produced today-besides not having an intermission I would have utilized something in the vein of the main titles for both Intermission and End titles and have seen TV showings over the years that do just that...

dvdirv

Grip
Real Name
Irv Haas
The original titles (Intermission and The End) had a dark background with sculpted Roman heads--just like the opening credits.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Don't recall that at all. Not any of the versions I saw outside of TV including the 1960 Roadshow presentations

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Paul Rossen

Don't recall that at all. Not any of the versions I saw outside of TV including the 1960 Roadshow presentations

Agreed. They were always that style from1960 onwards in their theatrical presentations

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Quote:

Originally Posted by john a hunter

Agreed. They were always that style from1960 onwards in their theatrical presentations

The blue Bass title cards were a part of the original separation masters, produced (as I recall offhand) c. July of 1960.

Although the placement of the intermission changed during various cuts of the film, the titles remained as they were.

At one time intermission was after beach sequence.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks