What's new

HTF Blu-ray Review: Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1 Viewer)

jmk56

Agent
Real Name
J. M. Kauffman
ronsreviews_covers_14535810.jpg">

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin

It is (or was) also the fanafare for the Morgan Creek production company logo, which produced this film.

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Where is the theatrical of Robin Hood? The extended edition sucks. The filmakers made an inexcusable editing mistake in putting back in all this deleted footage. Two of the major scenes they put back into Robin Hood had to do with the Sheriff of Nottingham cutting out his scribe's tongue, the first when he gets a knife to do it, and the second is a long scene in which the scribe has to write down every question now because he can't speak (because his tongue has been cut out!). Fine, but then near the end of the movie, when Robin and Azeem are sword fighting their way into the castle, Robin grabs the scribe and puts his sword to his neck and asks him where the maid Marion is. The scribe then VERBALLY responds "Up the stairs, that way!" This final scene was in the original cut and stayed in the extended DVD version, but it makes no sense given the inclusion of the extended scenes in which the scribe's tongue was cut out! This is an inexcuseably editing mistake. The theatrical edition is my wifes favorite movie but we wont be buying this. We are really disappointed.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Was hoping for substantially better PQ as the DVD was very soft/blurry in many scenes. Sounds like we don't get that much needed PQ upgrade here. :frowning:

_Man_

I am seeing light horizontal lines scrolling upward in dark scenes, especially at the beginning of the film (the scene with Robin's father, and the establishing shot of the moon.) Is this in the film, or my cables?

Anyone? This is the only blu-ray I have ever seen do this. It is almost like watching tv with bad reception. This is noticed in dark scenes (especially with Rickman in the castle). Was this transfer taken from an HD tape?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recall liking the film (perhaps for Alan Rickman's performance more than anything), but I don't think I've ever watched my blu-ray.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I need to revisit this. It was one of my earliest Blu-ray purchases. Rickman made the movie that’s for sure. I saw this in the theater with my mom and brother, I remember my mom was so happy Connery made a cameo appearance.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I thought it was terrific fun but the transfers have always been lousy.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
The video quality is terrible. I watched this a few days ago, and was shocked to see how poor it was. I thought something was wrong with my TV, I fiddled with the settings for about five minutes, and just gave up realizing you can't polish a pig no matter how good the TV is.

It needs a new scan, 4K update. I'm also bothered that it is only the "extended version". I saw it in the theater when released, and couldn't tell which scenes are new. Some sort of indication of what the "extended scenes are would have been nice. as would have been the ability to watch the normal theatrical version.

waltodonnell

Agent
Real Name
Conor
Coming in 4K from Arrow Video November 28. U.K. only?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks