Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Predator: Ultimate Hunter Edition

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Matt Hough, Jun 24, 2010.

1. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

Talk about taking a section of text and misrepresenting it. My statement was about representing something as fact vs. opinion and nothing else. The text you lifted "This has nothing to do with one side being right or wrong" was in reference to representing something as fact when it was really opinion. I was purposely stating that right or wrong has nothing to do with misrepresnting opinion as fact. I was not making a statement about whether the manipulations were right or wrong.

2. smithb

smithb Screenwriter

As far as your statement that "changing the look of an original film is wrong. No if or buts." I will also disagree with you on that. I hate absolutes. So on a case by case basis if something can be improved upon then I'm for it. Now not everybody will agree with what is an improvement since it can be subjective in nature, and if they disagree they don't have to purchase it. For an example of another dramatic change to film, the Star Trek TOS. You may not like them either, but I think they brought new life to the series and i'm glad they did it. You can claim that was wrong as well and I can claim it was right. Guess what, it doesn't change the fact that both are opinions.

3. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch

Okay, without splitting hairs, would you at least agree that in the case of Predator, had the filmmakers been involved we would have more than likely not gotten the release we just got?

4. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou

But it's still the same effin' film senor Roberto, just a bit brighter and clearer. Haven't you ever turned the brightness up when watching a film, or reduced the colour, sharpness? Does that make you a supporter of pan and scan? I'm sure this isn't the last release of Predator, others will appear in future with less DNR. I still have my two DVDs of the film, I might put one on during the week to compare it with this one.

5. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    For UK HTF'ers and those with Virgin Media, Film4 HD launches Thursday...and Predator is showing the same night at 9pm.

EDIT; Film4 HD launch has been delayed until July 20 apparently...

6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

So what is a fan to do now? I've been sitting out getting Predator in hopes of a new remastered version and when it comes out, it's been DNR'd.

I have the last DVD release box set. It sounds like getting both the old blu Ray and the new blu Ray to have an overview with the addition of the last DVD set might be one way to go, though a little crazy.

Seems that given how difficult it was to film and from what I understand, the conditions and film stock made the film elements less then ideal. But wasn't filming The African Queen as arduous? That disc looks great.

7. Jamie E

Jamie E Stunt Coordinator

Get the original Blu-ray release--that's what I did. It's not as bad as everyone made it out to be. It's light years ahead of UHE, mostly because it looks like Predator--gritty and dark, not bright and sunny. For the extras, you can rent the DVD--they are almost identical.

8. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Nelson,

If you already own the 2004 DVD then you probably don't need to update.

HTF member Colin Jacobson recently compared the most recent DVD release to this release.

This is what he had to say:

"

2004 SE DVD? Audio was similar, as I didn’t think this disc’s lossless track did much to surpass its predecessor’s DTS mix.

Visuals were a different issue. The DVD came with the often heavy grain that was always a part ofPredator. It also had source flaws and a few other issues. The Blu-ray eliminated the grain but also took away definition and made the movie look like some sort of hi-def video production. While the DVD suffered from print problems and the format’s limitations, I’d still prefer to watch it because it actually looked like Predator.

Here's the link to the full review:

http://www.dvdmg.com/predatorbr.shtml

The general consensus seems to be that the first Blu-ray release looked more like film, but was limited by MPEG-2 compression issues and source flaws. It also lacked any of the supplements that were present on the last DVD release.

So it's a tough call either way.

I purchased this disc, and it left me in tears: It was obvious that a new HD master was struck for this release (the source flaws were gone); and compression issues were mostly minimal. If they had just eased up a bit on the DNR it would have been a perfect release. *sigh* But due to all the DNR it looks more like "video" than "film" when viewed on my front projection system. As the Bard stated "It Is to Weep ..."

9. Nelson Au

Thanks Jamie.

It's really funny to look at the Amazon reviews of the older Blu Ray, calling it a horrible dark transfer and lauding the brightness and beauty of the new Hunter Edition! That should tell you something!

Hey Joseph! Just saw that you posted just as I was replying. Thanks for the additional review info. I'll have a look at Colin's site.

It's a shame as you saw, they went a little too far with the DNR on this new release. I think I'll get he old disc first while I can. Maybe they'll do another HD release later.

10. Nelson Au

FYI, I got my copy of the original blu ray from Amazon, and it was $11.00!