What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Planet of the Apes (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

ronsreviews_covers_apesbd.jpg

PLANET OF THE APES

Distributed by: 20th Century Fox
Film Year: 1968
Film Length: 112 minutes
Genre: Science Fiction

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Colour/B&W: Colour

BD Specifications:
Resolution: 1080/24p
Video Codec: AVC @ 26MBPS
Disc Size: BD-50

Audio:
English DTS 5.1 HD Master Audio
English Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Spanish Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
French Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround

Subtitles: English, Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean
Film Rating: PG

Release Date: AVAILABLE NOW

Rating: :star: :star: :star: :star: / :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:

Starring: Charlton Heston (George Taylor), Roddy McDowall (Cornelius), Kim Hunter (Zira), Maurice Evans (Dr. Zaius)

Screenplay by: Michael Wilson & Rod Serling
Directed by: Franklin J. Schaffner

Somewhere in the Universe, there must be something better than man!

Film legend Charlton Heston takes on the apes in the film that took audiences by surprise. Based on a novel by Pierre Boulle, the film creates an alternate reality, a time when humans are treated as apes and apes represent the advanced intellectual race, the film was hailed as being both entertaining as well as influential on the science fiction genre. It’s heavily political and religious as it mirrors so many beliefs of the human race. Our ideas of human superiority, society and class, and the animal kingdom below us, are put into the hands and minds of the apes while man is considered to be the lowly animal. The conflict between religion/faith and science is thrust forward as the main theme; scientists try to defend and prove their hypothesis, and the all-knowing faithful do what they can keep society in line with the established belief claiming all other belief as heresy.

A team of U.S.A. astronauts are returning home after a 700-year journey through space where technology allowed time to not alter their lives. But the return home fails as they find themselves on a foreign planet where men are the lowly animals and apes are at the top of chain. Unable to speak because of a throat injury, Taylor (Heston) becomes the lone astronaut who is bound by the apes by collars and cages; he is the animal. But there are two scientists, Zira and Cornelius, who believe he is a special specimen and study him. Their findings are dismissed by the head of ape civilization, Dr. Zaius, and it is this challenge between science and religion that will determine Taylor’s fate in their society.

VIDEO QUALITY: 4/5
:star: :star: :star: :star:

The HD image is fantastic as it reveals the various quality levels of quality in the image. Most shots deliver excellent detail; rocks in the distance, blades of grass, and the reflecting beads of water rolling off the bodies of the astronauts as they refresh in the waterfalls (that one is for the ladies). In fact, the beards on the men don’t even look real anymore as I could almost see the glue marks. Colours are not pumped up; I found them very natural. In HD, inconsistencies are noticed shot to shot, so don’t be surprised to see it blurry sometimes. There are minor artefacts such as little black specs and a bit of grittiness, but nothing that stands out. Grain is intact and doesn’t appear wiped out. I did not notice any compression artefacts.

AUDIO QUALITY: 4/5 :star: :star: :star: :star:

The film has a 5.1 remix although it’s still heavily mono. Dialogue, music, sound effects, etc. are all kept intact. There is a bit of stereo spread among the front channels and the surrounds remained quiet most of the time. I’d still label this as a mono recording and that’s fine by me. The audio is clean, free of heavy distortion, and the enjoyment of the film wasn’t hindered. Those with good center channels will enjoy it more. If you have a small tinny one…well, then that will be the sound of this soundtrack. On my Dunlavy HRCC-I (a virtually full range center), the bass is deep, midrange is not muffled, and the highs are not sibilant. Overall, a nice experience.

TACTILE FUN!!: 0/5
TRANSDUCER ON/OFF?: OFF

Don’t bother!

SPECIAL FEATURES: 4/5 :star: :star: :star: :star:

You’ll go ape over the special features loaded on this disc. This could be in both a good and bad way, depending on your point of view. Two audio commentaries are included, one featuring actors Roddy McDowell, Kim Hunter, and Natalie Trundy, and make-up artist John Chambers. The second is with composer Jerry Goldsmith. I found the first commentary too much of a patch-job. What is said is interesting (and it’s the three participants reflecting back on their participation with the film), but how it’s put together it just didn’t always work. My first complaint is that there are too many moments, and extended moments, of silence. This didn’t keep my interest in this track too long. Secondly, it’s clear that all three people are not in the same room at the same time so the result is a bit of a hack and patch, tying the commentaries together so they somewhat relate in topic. I didn’t catch any words that were related to what was happening on screen, so my assumption is that these participants were asked to say a few words without actually watching the film in front of them. It’s a bit of a disconnect when comparing it to other commentaries I’ve heard. But if that’s the best that could be done, (and considering the age of the participants), I’ll accept it. The Jerry Goldsmith commentary also seems to suffer the same. Even though he’s alone on the track, there are obvious edits where he should have taken a breath. Again, the commentary is filled with silences, although it appears Goldsmith is watching the film. Why so quiet? Why not talk more about his music? The bare minimum seems to have been given with this film.

A text commentary by Eric Greene, author of Planet of the Apes as An American Myth gives consistent in-depth information about the Apes films and is much better than the audio commentaries.

Science of the Apes BonusView (38:53, SD) – when activated, video pops up on screen giving information not relating to the Apes film, but to the science of space exploration and evolution. There are a variety of guests who speak of this, mostly professors and scientists. This can also be viewed as its own or as a “play all” function.

Beyond the Forbidden Zone adventure game tests you with trivia as you watch the film. Get the answer correct and you move around the board game.

Public Service Announcement from ANSA (6.06, HD) – a nice piece of ANSA’s plan of sending men to the nearest star 4 light years again. This piece is a springboard for the astronauts’ trip into deep space…

Featurettes

Evolution of the Apes (23:37, HD) - Boulle’s pessimistic novel, The Planet of the Apes, is explored.

Impact of the Apes (11:39, HD) – how the film impacted so many people’s lives.

Behind the Planet of the Apes documentary with interactive mode is over two hours long. You can watch the documentary on its own or you can play along with the prompts on the screen to learn more information about what the documentary is talking about. Very cool.

Behind the Planet of the Apes Promo

The Archive of the Apes features loads of information: Original Makeup Test with Edward G. Robinson, Roddy McDowell’s On-Set Footage, dailies and outtakes, N.A.T.O. presentation, vintage, Planet of the Apes featurette, teaser, trailer, and original theatrical trailer. Phew!

The Galleries of the Apes features an interactive pressbook, notes on advertising, lobby cards, makeup, costume and design, props, and behind-the-scenes stills.

IN THE END...

The Planet of the Apes is available as a 40th Year Evolution Blu-ray Collection featuring all five films with HD bonus materials. Conquest of the Planet of the Apes comes with eight additional minutes of footage. The box is packaged nicely and comes with a book, although I do not have one on hand to check it out. I’m sure Fox has put much effort into this set to make it the best Apes set available. I’m surprised to see such a collection being offered by Fox, but I’m very happy with Fox’s progress and look forward to seeing more high quality releases in the future.

Michael Osadciw
November 09, 2008.

Review System

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey, Michael! Great review.

While it wasn't originally in my plans, I might consider pulling the trigger on the original PotA movie on BD. Your review (and comments from others) makes the video presentation sound revelatory.

FWIW, one piece of cosmetic feedback, however, is that the choice of white for the font in the first main box of the review makes it VERY difficult to read on my monitor.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

Yup, and the new special features in addition to the old ones make this disc unbeatable for content. At least for a single disc release
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
thanks for the reply guys. this is a nice disc. can't wait to check out the rest of the set someday (I do not have copies for review)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched this last and thought it looked pretty good, overall. I have one nitpick. Despite film grain seemingly intact, the image lacked the detail I was expecting (as compared to other movies I've seen on Blu-ray from this era). It was almost as if the image had an ever-so-slightly smeared or out of focus look at times. I assume all of this has to do with the source material (or maybe cameras used) and this film probably looks as good as it can. I was definitely happy to see grain present and virtually no EE. I was viewing on an ISF'd calibrated 60" SXRD A3000 and Panasonic BD35 at 1080p/24 (sitting about 8' back). Definitely recommended for anyone who likes the film.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think you are on the mark about the slight softness being a result of the cameras or rather the lenses used. These were fairly early Panavision taking lenses (may have even been first generation) and they are not going to exhibit the sharpness of a film from this era shot with spherical lenses.

I'm still amazed at how clean the blue screen optical effect is at the start of the movie, when Heston is walking toward the back of the ship.

Doug

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
A little bit confused here. It's mentioned that 'Science of the Apes' has a video pop-up function. During the movie? Yet it's indicated as SD.

Also, the featurette 'Behind the Planet of the Apes', mentions video pop-up functions. Again, is this during the movie, or during the course of the featurette? And again, is this SD or HD?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Anyone else experience a lockup at 00.37 seconds for about 10 seconds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks