What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: North by Northwest (50th Anniversary Edition) [Highly Recommended] (5 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The other option is to pre-order it from the BB web site for in-store pick-up.
Why not just do that? That's what I would do. Not much point in going to the B&M store looking for it and possibly have them be out-of-stock or priced higher, if you can basically reserve it online for pickup at that price. And near as I can tell, cancelling seems completely pain-free, if you need to do that later.
_Man_

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Pre-order it today for pick up next week before the price goes up. I've seen the weekly ad for Best Buy for next week and the price goes up to $24.99
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /forum/thread/294299/htf-blu-ray-review-north-by-northwest-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended#post_3622938
I'm going to gamble that Best Buy will retain that sale price for North by Northwest till next week. If they don't have that price in the store, I'll have them match their web page price, which they've done for me before.
The other option is to pre-order it from the BB web site for in-store pick-up.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Okay, pre-ordered at BB. First time I ever did this at BB. Now I hope they will actually have it in-stock on Tuesday! Waiting now for confirmation email that it is in stock for pick-up.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong /forum/thread/294299/htf-blu-ray-review-north-by-northwest-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended#post_3622887
I wonder if Amazon might still stick NxNW into the daily Gold Box deals just in time for release day. /img/vbsmilies/htf/smiley_wink.gif"> Today's deals (for me anyway) include a few recent BD releases plus Inglourious Basterds. If NxNW gets included in the next couple days (before BB possibly ends the sale price), you can save another buck on it w/ yet another cancel/re-order.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I got an email confirmation for my pre-order of NxNW at Best Buy, so it worked with the price locked in at $20 before tax. My first time doing this!

And I see that Mike's Bargain page shows Best Buy selling it at $24 as you guys said it would be. And I check Amazon and they dropped it to $19.99.

Must be some guys at Amazon and Best Buy watching each other's prices and doing a Spy vs. Spy thing in order to beat each other. Pretty amazing for us!

dbailey100

Agent
Real Name
David
BB usually can't compete with Amazon; not surprised about the lower price at Amazon. I can't wait to see this film in two weeks..../img/vbsmilies/htf/smile.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"He's assembling the General Assembly..."
Nice review, one of my favourite films from my favourite director.
Looks like I've gone Blu just in time to pick this up! /img/vbsmilies/htf/thumbsup.gif

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just picked this up today. It looked fantastic on the most recent DVD special edition...I can't imagien how it will look on BR. Very much looking forward to it!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Eric Scott Richard /forum/thread/294299/htf-blu-ray-review-north-by-northwest-50th-anniversary-edition-highly-recommended/30#post_3624311

Did a spot check. One word comes to mind....velvet. The image is pure velvet.
I love images on velvet! /img/vbsmilies/htf/biggrin.gif

VelvetElvis.jpg

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
You guys are killing me. I'm trying to cut down on the number of Blu Rays I buy that I already own on DVD. And here I go reading this thread.

I mean, the DVD still looks good, right? If I watch it I won't be pining for the BD, right? Bah. Why do my hobbies have to require so much cash and spousal reconciliation?

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by John Alderson
You guys are killing me. I'm trying to cut down on the number of Blu Rays I buy that I already own on DVD. And here I go reading this thread.
I mean, the DVD still looks good, right? If I watch it I won't be pining for the BD, right? Bah. Why do my hobbies have to require so much cash and spousal reconciliation?
Ha! Too true. I've owned the old 2000 edition of NxNW since it came out, and for its time, it was a very serviceable transfer. However, my current television doesn't do it justice anymore. I'm going to have a very difficult time resisting a double dip in this instance.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the first 20 minutes of the film in blu. Yum. Good stuff. The sound is as much improved as the pq. Outstanding film, and one that you can finally view as it was meant to be seen. Worth a buy, imho. Love it when James Mason and Cary Grant are circling each other like cats in the beginning. And that battle continues on to the end of the movie. It's pretty deep too, when you look deeper into this film. It's eye candy overload with some thought provoking stuff when you dig deeper...

LOL Mike! I was debating on whether or not to use that word, because the Elvis paintings came to my mind!! But it is pure velvet.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman
The DVD was good for it's day, but if you watch it and the Blu-Ray back to back, well - toss the DVD. I've watched the first fifteen minutes of the Blu-Ray (and now have to run to a meeting, but will be finishing it as soon as I get back) and it's as good as you could hope for. As I've posted elsewhere, there's been a change at Warners, one I doubt they'll acknowledge, but it's very clear because suddenly we're seeing accurate color transfers and I now give full kudos to whomever is supervising these transfers because they've embraced the color blue again. The interesting thing about this particular transfer is how dense it looks - a very close approximation of what the IB Tech prints looked like - and that's saying something because it so rarely happens. I'll post more after I've finished it.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Watching this now, crop dusting sequence. Looks and sounds fantastic.

So glad I picked this one up. Finally an excellent Hitchcock film on blu.

Doug

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I watched the Blu-ray last night. It was nice and sharp and detailed. I thought the TrueHD sound was a big improvement over the DVD. The score leapt out of the speakers, but did not overpower the dialogue.

However, to my eyes, I thought it looked a little on the brownish side. Everybody here is saying the color in a Warner restoration is now "finally right". Maybe Grant's incedibly dark tan was so overpowering I just thought it was brownish?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks