Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Night at the Museum

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Michael Osadciw, Apr 7, 2007.

1. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Blu-ray Disc REVIEW

[​IMG]

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I was going to pick this up but that's just plain sad that the A/V are so poor for this being an HD disc. Looks like I'll pass, I really wanted it though as it was a fun family movie. The scores should be 5 and 5 for it being a new movie and BRD.

3. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

Fox is quickly becoming the worst of the worst on BD releases. Mpeg2 on BD-25 still? Over priced, and lack of features, plus poor audio.

I'm only into HD for the new releases but when they come out like this, I'll have to pass.

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    SRP of what? $40. I don't think so, even with the Amazon discount. Thanks for the review, though. Looks like a fun movie, but not at that price.

- Steve

5. Michael Osadciw

Michael Osadciw Screenwriter

Michael Osadciw
    Guys, remember that the A/V drawbacks have nothing to do with the Blu-ray disc. Remember BD is a high resolution medium and it allows us to better compare the best to the best...and then we say what we want about the rest.

The problem isn't Fox or this Blu-ray disc. The 3.5/5 sound score would be no different if I reviewed the DVD because it's the original mix that could have been more creative. The DVD will contain the same sound mix, the Blu-ray has the advantage of delivering it in higher resolution and that's a great thing no matter how average the sound mix is. We all know that not every movie scores high for impressive sound designs. Night at the Museum happens to be one of them.

A disc receiving four out of five stars still delivers very impressive video and the majority of the public will be blown away with the quality. Remember, my reviews are based on ranking the quality of the A/V presentation based on a scale of best to worst. There are some titles I find that look and sound better than Night at the Museum. It has nothing to do with Fox delivering aweful product. Sure, they've released some BD using transfers that are probably ten years old, but their new releases can be just as good as other studios. We can't expect everything to score 5/5 just because it's HD.

Mike

6. Greg Kettell

Greg Kettell Screenwriter

Greg K.
    This is a very fun family movie and I already have it on my preorder list. I just wish it was a BD50 with all of the DVD extras for that price.

7. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer
    Supporter

David
    This is one I had planned to pickup, until I heard that it was missing almost all of the SD extra features. This reeks of a double-dip. I will probably just rent it which is a shame since I really liked this movie.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Regardless, Fox is plain raping us with their prices due to one thing, greed. I don't plan to buy any Fox titles until their prices drop.

9. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Thanks for the review and subsequent explanation re: the ratings.

I pre-ordered a while back because buy . com had a good sale price (not sure if it's still going on). Look forward to seeing it again and I'll rent the dvd for the extras.

10. ppltd

ppltd Producer

I took my Grand daughter to see this film. While I was not over excited to see it, it actually turned out to be a fun film to view. And to see Dick Van Dyke, Mickey Rooney and Bill Cobbs, three Hollywood classics, in the same film was great. For what it is worth, this is a keeper.