What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: METROPOLIS (a/k/a "The Complete Metropolis") (1 Viewer)

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
See? There you go again, criticizing people who have who are being critical of the product. These people aren't criticizing you, urbo. But it seems you are taking at that way.

Guess what? Consumer pressure helped bring us anamorphic DVDs, higher quality masters and supplemental material to home video releases. Funnily enough, there were lots of people back then who hated all of the constant critisicm coming from people who wanted anamorphic releases of their favorite films. They couldn't care less about anamorphic and tended to shout down anyone who dared criticize their latest favorite release for being less than what it could have been. So here we go, deja vu all over again.

Sitting around whining about people who are raining on your love parade accomplishes nothing, urbo. Again, if you are happy with something, fine. But you should at the very least allow people to vocalize their opinions without the constant backbiting. Hell, you may even benefit from their efforts someday, like all of us benefitted when anamorphic became standard.

Originally Posted by urbo73

Yeah, sorry to spoil the negativity....I'm willing to settle for owning my favorite films in the best possible format at the time. Do I wish sometimes things were better? Sure. Case in point being this release of Metropolis as I said in my first post in this thread. But not at the expense of not owning something I love. How can not owning something you really like be more than "less"?? Can you believe there are people that actually enjoy watching their favorite films rather than whine all day about this and that? This forum is not just for whining..Nothing is ever perfect, and one can do what he or she likes, but if you keep waiting for perfection, you'll be a sorry camper.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

It seems no one can have a negative opinion around here without this guy jumping in with comments like this. So you're willing to settle for less? Fine. But please lay off those of us who want something better and are making our opinions heard. I don't think anyone really cares about what you find depressing.

Originally Posted by Scott Calvert

See? There you go again, criticizing people who have who are being critical of the product. These people aren't criticizing you, urbo.

LOL. Oh really?

You know, people are also allowed to disagree with your point of view without being criticized as well. That's a two way street, but apparently you think only one direction should be respected. The old "anyone who disagrees should just keep it to themselves."

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JohnMor
LOL. Oh really?

You know, people are also allowed to disagree with your point of view without being criticized as well. That's a two way street, but apparently you think only one direction should be respected. The old "anyone who disagrees should just keep it to themselves."

Do you honestly not see the difference between criticism of the product and criticism of others opinions about said product or are you merely being disingenuous?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Yes, I see the difference. What I am saying is you did exactly to him what you accused him of doing to you. You didn't simply engage in a discussion of why "whining" can yield a positive outcome, but you attacked him simply for expressing HIS opinion.

"It seems no one can have a negative opinion around here without this guy jumping in with comments like this..."

"So you're willing to settle for less?"

"I don't think anyone really cares about what you find depressing."

"See? There you go again..."

And the ultimate irony: "But you should at the very least allow people to vocalize their opinions without the constant backbiting."

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Not one criticism regarding his opinion or value judgement on the release. That's the difference. I really don't see why that is so hard to understand...

Originally Posted by JohnMor

Yes, I see the difference. What I am saying is you did exactly to him what you accused him of doing to you. You didn't simply engage in a discussion of why "whining" can yield a positive outcome, but you attacked him simply for expressing HIS opinion.

"It seems no one can have a negative opinion around here without this guy jumping in with comments like this..."

"So you're willing to settle for less?"

"I don't think anyone really cares about what you find depressing."

"See? There you go again..."

And the ultimate irony: "But you should at the very least allow people to vocalize their opinions without the constant backbiting."

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Never saw Metropolis until this evening.

I watched the restoration on Netflix. Sorry, not Blu-ray,

but I didn't want to purchase this film blindly without

seeing it first.

Very much enjoyed the film. Way ahead of its time.

Visually, it's mesmerizing to watch. Was very surprised

as to how much I enjoyed it.

I do have a problem with the ending and perhaps it's

because I missed something....

We are led to believe that the real Maria is being

burned at the stake. While she is burning we see

the robot machine Maria dancing and carrying on with

the group of men as we have always seen her.

Did I miss something? I thought that the film clearly

defined where each Maria was located within the story

but suddenly there is a switch-a-roo that doesn't make

any sense.

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein
I do have a problem with the ending and perhaps it's

because I missed something....

We are led to believe that the real Maria is being

burned at the stake. While she is burning we see

the robot machine Maria dancing and carrying on with

the group of men as we have always seen her.

Did I miss something? I thought that the film clearly

defined where each Maria was located within the story

but suddenly there is a switch-a-roo that doesn't make

any sense.

I think what you're referring to is a flashback, or at least someone's inner thoughts. I watched the restoration last week and don't recall any switcheroo like that. Maybe it someone else in the crowd who looks like her?

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Originally Posted by Martin Teller

I think what you're referring to is a flashback, or at least someone's inner thoughts. I watched the restoration last week and don't recall any switcheroo like that. Maybe it someone else in the crowd who looks like her?

It's not a flashback or inner thoughts. I don't think this really requires spoiler protection, but I'll continue the practice.
In one of the many restored sequences, the crowd of angry workers chases the real Maria, believing that it was she who encouraged them to destroy the machines and flood the lower city. (In fact, it was the false Maria.) The real Maria flees for her life, but her path crosses that of the false Maria, who is leading a group of revellers from Yoshiwara. When the workers catch up, they grab the false Maria, and that's who they burn at the stake. Once the false Maria is pulled from the crowd and bound to the top of the pyre, there are no more shots of her drinking and carrying on. She does, however, continue to laugh and celebrate, just as she's been programmed, even while she's being seized and burned. That's how you know she isn't the real one.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
With the studios' insistence on pushing downloads and streaming as the inevitable next step in video delivery, this may very well be the last release of METROPOLIS that is available to physically own. Just something to think about. It's depressing, but most signs point toward Blu-Ray being the last physical video format.

I was first exposed to METROPOLIS, like a lot of people my age, through the Moroder version. Through the years, my appreciation of the film has grown as I've become aware of its influence on the films that followed it. When I heard the news about the discovery of the complete negative found in Argentina, I don't think I have ever been more excited about something film-related. Sitting down to watch the complete version in HD was a revelation. The film, in its current form, is exponentially better than any of its previous incarnations. The damaged footage is not a distraction at all. What it adds to the film's story and pacing far outweighs its physical condition.

Supplements be damned, anyone who loves METROPOLIS cannot go wrong purchasing the film on Blu-Ray.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by Brian Kidd

Supplements be damned, anyone who loves METROPOLIS cannot go wrong purchasing the film on Blu-Ray.

I agree. To judge the quality of this release based on what's not on the disc instead of what is offered seems ridiculous to me. This version of the movie is amazing and deserves to be in any fans collection.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Russell G

I agree. To judge the quality of this release based on what's not on the disc instead of what is offered seems ridiculous to me. This version of the movie is amazing and deserves to be in any fans collection.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I finally pulled the trigger today and bought the BRD for 20.89.

Crawdaddy

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I will be purchasing this title as well within the week.

Thanks to Netflix for this one. Would have never
watched Metropolis if not for the fact it was available

for streaming. Now that I have, I want it as part of my

collection.

Douglas_H

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, surprised that so many cinephiles haven't seen Metropolis.

I guess I was lucky taking a SCI-FI literature class in college in the 70's.

The prof had Metropolis on film and played it for us.

To say I was blown away would be an understatement.

Saw it again later on a local PBS station and then the Moroder in the theater.

Got the Kino DVD and now the MOC version.

As others have said, the additional footage finally gave me a complete appreciation of this film that I never imagined possible.

I'm glad that you guys are discovering and appreciating Metropolis.

After watching the BD, I tried to imagine what it must have been like to watch this movie in 1927.

Probably hated it or were totally astonished.

All I can say is that for me, this is a true milestone and a unique creation.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I received my BRD today and will try to watch it this weekend in order to compare it to the previously viewed 2003 DVD release in my collection.

Crawdaddy

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
I have read a number of very positive reviews for Metropolis on Blu-ray, but also the same reviews mention the poor video of the source material. Granted Blu-ray would give a much better video image, but regular DVDs shown on a 1080p receiver also give a superior picture than an interlaced receiver. No one has compared the DVD v Blu-ray version of Metropolis when both are played on the 1080p receiver. Considering the poor qualility of the source material, is the image that much better, lets say on a 32" 1080p, 60 mhz receiver, of the Blu-ray version over the same DVD issue of Metropolis?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by haroldS

I have read a number of very positive reviews for Metropolis on Blu-ray, but also the same reviews mention the poor video of the source material. Granted Blu-ray would give a much better video image, but regular DVDs shown on a 1080p receiver also give a superior picture than an interlaced receiver. No one has compared the DVD v Blu-ray version of Metropolis when both are played on the 1080p receiver. Considering the poor qualility of the source material, is the image that much better, lets say on a 32" 1080p, 60 mhz receiver, of the Blu-ray version over the same DVD issue of Metropolis?

The new scenes are very poor quality, certainly, but about 75 percent of the film (those parts of the film that were previously held) is still in excellent condition, coming I believe from restored 35mm prints, and look really great.

I have the Masters of Cinema region B-locked version, and it really is great. One difference that people may want to be aware of - the Kino version reviewed here has English intertitles, while the MOC version has the original German intertitles, with English subtitles.

(Other than that, the MOC release also has a very good 50-odd-page booklet and an excellent commentary that is not on the Kino.)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I've just learned that BB has The Complete Metropolis for $15 and I've got a $5 coupon. Since I don't have a multi-region player, is the kino version a slam dunk choice for me?

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell

I've just learned that BB has The Complete Metropolis for $15 and I've got a $5 coupon. Since I don't have a multi-region player, is the kino version a slam dunk choice for me?

I think so. I just picked it up using the combo you described and I'm happy to retire the old (interlaced) DVD for a sparkling HD version of Metropolis on Blu-ray for a whopping $10.69 (including tax) - 1/4 of the original MSRP. No brainer!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks