What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Kill Bill, Volume 1 (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

So here's what sucks: in order to get the $10 rebate, you've gotta cut the proof of purchase tab from both the DVD (no big deal) AND THE BLU-RAY. Fuck! So, let's see.... I got both volumes for $40.00 combined (Best Buy online deal, with in-store pickup). If I chop a chunk out of the back covers, I'll get $20.00 back. So... $20.00 for both, with slightly molested back covers. Maybe that's reasonable.

EXCEPT....

On the reverse side of the back cover is the beautiful alternate cover artwork (actually the soundtrack covers, which are vastly superior to the DVD/Blu-ray covers), which can be flipped over and used for the FRONT cover. So this'll have a chunk cut out of it. Double fuck!

*Sigh* Is all this worth $20.00? Sheesh. It almost makes me long for the days of the Warner snapper case, where the tabs could be taken out without ruining the outer covers at all....

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, if that's the case I could probably forego the rebate since I actually bought my Kill Bill DVDs from Hollywood Video for 8.33 apiece. Not sayin' the rebate requirement isn't lame, but it's not a huge loss to me.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Oh, the one problem with the reversible cover is there's nothing on the spines!

MatS

Screenwriter
agree as if the original receipt by itself shouldn't sufice on its own
is it so darn difficult for the studios to put a proof of purchase on an insert that is not part of the displayable packaging
at the very minimum at least do it on those titles you know you will be offering a rebate for
clearly they hope others like myself won't bother defacing their packaging/artwork to get the rebate

mike caronia

Second Unit
I hear ya Craig. I'm not cutting mine.
I like the reversible cover.
I'll make spines to drop in there...the images are way cooler than their original choice.

Vol. 1 looks gorgeous. And the sound punched a hole through my chest. Good stuff.
Vol. 2 on deck...

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

B&W was specifically noted in an early draft of the script for that sequence, so it seems pretty clear that it was always intended to be in B&W as a homage to the way Hong Kong films were shown on American TV in the 70s.

As someone else pointed out, the hong kong films were not shown in B&W on TV in Asia and as a result that audience wouldn't get the joke, hence the use of very saturated colors in those countries.

Doug

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Well, excactly Mat. The thing is, I believe the percentage of people who actually end up applying for their rebates is quite low. You're tempted by the rebate, buy something you might not have otherwise, and never get around to sending in your rebate. The studio wins!

Having you deface your covers is another strike against people bothering.

I don't like cut up covers, so never even considered doing it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Vol1 looks and sounds really great - except the B&W fight sequence is MUCH more annoying in HD.

Why couldnt we just get a unrated version with the sequence in color??

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Not to speak for him but I assume he's talking about it being the R rated version instead of the NC-17 version*.

*Until I read or see an interview with Tarantino saying that he was intending to tip his hat to TV edited versions of kung fu movies (which would probably rate as one of the most obscure references in history), I'm assuming it was done to placate the MPAA- just like the other edits to violence that were made to get an R rating.

mike caronia

Second Unit
If anyone prefers the interior art (probably everyone)...I've been farting around in photoshop trying to make custom spines
Print and slice it apart for each disc:

Still playing around...may put the KILL BILL title on each spine...still not sure if I like this..

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
According to a posting over at High Def Digest (which I can't quote right now because the site is down) The color version of Kill Bill V.1 was NEVER submitted to the MPAA, so the idea that it was converted to b&w just to get an R rating seems not to be true.

It appears that it was an artistic choice from the start and it was always intended to be shown in b&w. The fact that pre-production versions of the script talk about b&w for that sequence seems to confirm this.

Doug

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I thought the B&W fight sequence was to get a R rating.

Ive seen captures of the sequence in color and would like to see it that way.

Watching it in HD, when it switched to B&W, I actually was taken back a bit. I thought it almost looked like a xray effect for a minute there.

Or maybe its just the meds Im on;)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I watched Kill Bill last night. Phenomenal presenation. The movie was filmlike, detailed, nice color production, film grain structure intact, and the black levels were very rich. The PCM track was equally as impressive. Whoever worked on this release needs to work on all Disney releases! This is how BDs should be done. Period. I may even write a letter to Disney letting them know they got it right.

Watching Kill Bill II tonight.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

KurtEP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kurt
Arggh. Ordered it a few days ago and its estimated arrival date is a week from now. Damned islands! :frowning:

John Stuart

Agent
Real Name
John Stuart
Question: Is the uncut japanese version available on Blu-ray? Or it will be in the near future?

Just wondering, since I came across to the japanese DVD these days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks