What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-Ray Review: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (1 Viewer)

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
You know it's funny that "Happy Days" was a conceived as a television version of "American Graffiti", so Lucas is directly, and indirectly responsible for both sayings!

Maybe somebody will come up with a "Six Degrees of George Lucas" game/theory where everything bad about movies will somehow always connect to Lucas!

And I agree with the contrast. "Happy Days" was a nostalgia show about small-town 50s life, so "jumping the shark" would seem out of place. And as argued countless times before, the Indy series is a homage to old serials and pulp novels, so using a refridgerator as a makeshift bomb shelter really isn't out of he realm of possibility given the fantasitical nature and tone of the series. As I said, I can't see why it's perceived as anymore than an minor annoyance, if even that and certainly not something to start a whole internet subculture on.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This thread has jumped something, but not sure if it is a shark, a fridge or dog poop.

The movie was enjoyable. I didnt' love it, but I certainly found enough in it to enjoy a 2nd viewing on BD at home. Harrison Ford really did a good job as always.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

It's probably because most people have no idea of the real effects of an atomic blast, and just assume that everything is vaporized.

Doug

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
What I don't get about all the backlash against Indy 4 is the amount of energy expended discussing how much people DIDN'T like it. Okay, you didn't like it, why prolong the agony by discussing it again and again some five months later?

For instance, I've loved Spider-Man since I was a kid. Loved the first two films, but despised the third. After a few days of grumbling, I let it go. I don't think about it anymore (until using it in this example). I've moved on. Why would I dwell on the bad when there's so many other movies I DO like I can discuss and reminisce about?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thought the "nuke the fridge scene" was extremely unrealistic (in the first place, there was no reason to line a fridge with lead in an A bomb test, other than to set up the "escape"), but my problems with the film go far beyond that. Fundamentally, it's a dull, uninteresting story. Indy isn't going after a Macguffin he's even really interested in (his pursuit is forced on him. Bleah). Crystal skulls carry zero historical weight (they were made in the 19th century), and have NO connection to any ancient culture (the connection to Mayans, etc. is PURELY made up). It hardly seems accidental that the actual discovery of the skulls is left to a proxy Indy (the John Hurt character). So other than the cliffhanger stuff, Indy doesn't really act like Indy. And the villains were boring ("I want to know!" Yawn).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

There is every reason for the fridge to be lead lined. The test is obviously a civil defense test as indicated by the presence of suburban homes. In real world Civil Defense tests they put all kinds of things in the blast zone to see how they would hold up. Its not unreasonable to assume they would be testing a lead lined refrigerator for future use in fall out shelters. The preserving of food was a major concern of U.S. Civil Defense planners.

Quite a bit of the "myths" around the Ark, the Holy Grail and the Sankara Stones was made up out of whole cloth too. With these films they have always taken real world items and bent them to the needs of their plot.

Doug

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What would you power a refrigerator with in a fallout shelter, when power is utterly knocked out for an indefinite period? It makes no sense at all to think people would live on frozen TV dinners or last night's lasagna, as opposed to, say, canned goods (which need no power to preserve).

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Most fall out shelters plans were designed to have their own power for a limited amount of time. And it was never assumed that all power would be lost and all infrastructure would break down, that is only a recent invention of the movies. Remember that EMP doesn't happen unless the device is exploded in the upper atmosphere.

Also fallout shelters were only intended to be used for the first 48 hours after an attack, where people could wait till after the fallout had settled, hence the term fallout shelter. For most people the biggest threat would be exposure to radio active fallout.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I don't know, she, through her men, murdered 6 or 8 Army guards right off the bat at the start of the movie. That's pretty awful to me.

Doug

James@R

Second Unit

But when Mutt catches up to him, Indy really doesn't have anything left in his life. It's not so much a quest for a Macguffin as a search for meaning. I think that's an interesting approach- especially for an aging Indiana Jones. It beats just sending him after a random artifact- the way most of his stories (books, videogames, etc.) have been over the past 20 years.

As for the skulls, what they lack in historical basis is made up for by other elements of the plot. Indy has always been about exploring various belief systems, and here we have several- both modern and historical- woven together: El Dorado, Roswell, Crystal Skulls, Nazca Lines, etc.

Ultimately, Indiana Jones is more of a pulp hero than a historical one. The latter seems to be a common misconception, and where the new film lost a lot of people. But as noted, the previous two films took a great deal of fictional liberty with their Macguffins as well. It's also trend that has been reflected in nearly every incarnation of Indiana Jones: The comics had him fighting skeleton armies and demons, the videogames had him exploring Atlantis and entering other dimensions, etc.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

That's no different at all to any of the previous entries (hell, he downright resents the Grail quest, because it was more important to his father than his son was). In each film, it is a human search that fires Indy's passions--the Macguffins are always secondary to him. He is more interested in finding Abner Ravenwood than the Ark. He is more interested in exploring the issue of stolen children than the Sankara stones. He is more interested in finding his father than the Holy Grail. Now, he's more interested in finding Professor Oxley than he is the crystal skulls. It is identical to the preceding three. The only thing that is different from them is that the mini-adventures at the beginning of the first three INDIANA JONES flick show Indy pursuing a treasure that actually is of paramount (no pun intended) interest to him (the golden idol, the ashes of Nurhachi, the Cross of Coronado)...

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member

Of course, we didn't even see those guards get killed (nor the Ugha Warriors later), which is one of my big criticisms of the film. Spielberg didn't hesitate to show people getting killed in the old films, and it helped to create tension, etc.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member

But we didn't see any "innocent" people getting killed on screen in either Raiders or Last Crusade.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
Looking forward to watching this. I just got it from amazon.com. However I got only the basic plastic blu-ray case, I think I read somewhere that the blu-ray came with a shiny cardboard slipcase? Did anyone get that version?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

I haven't always gotten those when I've ordered from Amazon.com. The slipcases are usually made in limited numbers (i.e. a title that comes out with one today probably won't still be being made with it a year from now), and their primary purpose is to make the box more eye-catching for retail shoppers. It's possible that the shipments that Paramount sold to Amazon were sold without the slipcase to save money. That said, I've got one on order from Amazon and if it were up to me, I'd prefer to have the slipcase (but I probably won't cry over it if it's missing).

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I rented and watched this for a second time. The Blu-ray seems to be pretty faithful to what I saw in the theatre as far as PQ and AQ goes. Generally, when I watch a film a second time I find it kind of grows on me. Unfortunately, this is one of the few that doesn't. A second viewing made me reassess my original feeling about it. I now think that this is the weakest out of all four films. I originally thought "Crystal Skull" was better than "TOD", but I can now see that that is not the case.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't say for sure but over the week, I saw copies at Best Buy, Wal Mart, Toys R Us and Borders and none of them had a slipcase so I don't think there is one. Target's exclusive version came with a book and that had a slipcase that fit over the book/package but that's much bigger than something that would fit around a standard Blu-ray case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks