What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: HELLBOY: DIRECTOR'S CUT - HIGHEST RECOMMENDATION! (1 Viewer)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
ronsreviews_covers_83710.jpg">

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Thanks for the review Ben.:emoji_thumbsup:

Got the disc yesterday, but haven't had the chance to watch it yet.

Great to hear about the picture and audio quality!:cool:

Paul

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I watched this Tuesday night. It is a great BD of a great comic book movie. I didn't check out any of the special features, but the PQ and AQ were top-notch.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Ben, another great review. I have not received my copy yet, but after reading your review, and some of the comments (Thanks Paul), I can hardly wait. It is going to be a long weekend, with all of the new releases...
  • Rio Bravo
  • Hellboy
  • The Cowboys
  • T2
  • Smokey and the Bandit
  • Trading Places
  • Coming to America
I may need to take a week off.:)

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Unfortunately, all the special features are in SD... they are ported straight from the DVD release. :frowning:

However, that "...seeds of creation" doc is definitely worth your time!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I ordered this at DD. I think I only ever watched my DC DVD once. And didn't look at many of the extras.

Oh, the double-dippers remorse! At least it's not a triple-dip, since I held off on the theatrical cut.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Argh, I was trying to hold off on this double dip...doesn't look like it's going to happen ;)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Very little is added to the film in the director's cut, however it does help flesh out the narrative, make the film a little larger in scope. They are transitory elements.

The three-disc set looked stellar on DVD, I would only hope this new version improves on that standard. I'm glad the documentary is included, since it is a marvel, showing how to make a medium-budget movie look like a billion bucks.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Watched this the other day and wow, great presentation. :emoji_thumbsup: As for the movie, I'd never picked up the DC before but I've only watched the original cut once so I couldn't tell what was added back. I think the story flows better and I was surprised how much more I really enjoyed it this go round. I'm glad I picked it up.

Whats not to like about a comic book adaptation rooted in the mythos of HP Lovecraft. ;)

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I did not get a chance to watch this release last weekend and some of the comments being made are making the wait for next weekend that much harder to take.:)

Ben, I must admit that Disney is about the most consistent studio in quality control. I hope they keep this up.

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
Love this film. Question about the international distribution - is there any shot at an HD-DVD release from like Spain or somewhere? It's going to be a while before I can purchase a BD player. Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Jason

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Since Sony and Disney own the international rights and do not support HD DVD, then the chances of this coming to HD DVD are slim and none and slim left town a while ago.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

Can't wait to hear your comments, Thomas! I think you are going to be VERY happy with this one!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Well, I finally had the opportunity to watch Hellboy over the weekend, and I have got to say, Sony, you have done it again. The colors are vibrant, the picture is sharp, and the detail is superb in even the darkest areas.

Sound quality with PCM is always very good. In the case of Hellboy, it jumps. More to do with the source than the codec.

To all studios releasing in the HD formats, look to the Disney releases to see if you compare. Currently, IMHO, no studio comes close.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks