What's new

HTF BLU- RAY REVIEW: G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Watched this last night, fun, enjoyable popcorn film with non-stop action. Most of which is good but there are several scenes throughout that suffer from poor CGI. Other then that, I really enjoyed it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
There's a part of me that thinks there will be a double dip on this one at some point. For a summer popcorn movie which did respectable business around the world, I can't believe there's under an hour of non-commentary special features here.

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Still on the fence about this. I never did get to see it in theaters and the purist in me kind of rails about the changes I hear have been made. On the other hand, getting to see Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow duking it out on the big screen, and the Baroness in black leather....that's a powerful incentive. :)

Mayhap I'll rent it first and see what I think.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I remember posting in this film's thread before it was released how I had zero hope for it being any good, but I still went to see it and was pleasantly surprised by a fun film. I agree with the review about the quality of this disc, looks great, and the soundtrack is very active and loud. It's also nice seeing more and more blu's selling for $20 at release which made buying this a whole lot easier to take.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I fully expected this movie to suck, but I quite enjoyed it. It's silly, but it's fun. IMO it more resembles the big, splashy Bond films of the '70s and early '80s than it does Transformers.

Did anyone else catch the Star Wars references during the final action sequences?

One thing that should be mentioned is that this film is way more violent than The Mummy or Transformers. There's a fair amount of blood and dozens of on-screen deaths. Absolutely not for young children!

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

One thing that should be mentioned is that this film is way more violent than The Mummy or Transformers. There's a fair amount of blood and dozens of on-screen deaths. Absolutely not for young children!
Agreed. But then, I think the prologue served as fair warning on that... *shudders*

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
There was blood in this? I never noticed any when I saw it. I wouldn't consider this film any more or less violent than Transformers:ROTF. They both contained loads of frenetic violence.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:Originally Posted by Edwin-S I mean, Saw 12 it wasn't, but for a movie based on toys. . .

I only saw the first 15 minutes or so of Transformers: ROTF, but what I saw was clearly more violent than the first one, so you may very well be right about that comparison.

The first Transformers had plenty of "frenetic violence" but it was very light on blood or death visible on the screen. G.I. Joe was an entirely different story. (Transformers showed a bus explode -- G.I. Joe showed people's heads exploding.)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman ">[/url]

Quote:

[snip].. [b]G.I. Joe[/b] showed people's heads exploding.

[/QUOTE]
I must not have been paying close enough attention to the movie and missed this. I may have to rent this thing again.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I was disappointed in the audio mix for this one. I watched it after watching the 15th anniversary edition of Stargate and that 15 year old movie blew the doors off of this 2009 flick.
It should have been so much better.

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I'm only familiar with the G.I. Joe of the 60's, the 12" action figure since that was my childhood era, so I have no idea what the cartoon series was like. I found the movie to be a pleasant surprise, just a popcorn action movie, nothing more, nothing less. The Blu-ray disc was under $20 and gave a fine presentation, audio and video-wise. The small amount of extras doesn't bother me, as I usually don't bother with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks