What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF Blu-ray Review: Friday the 13th Uncut (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Okay, but the thing I don't understand here is that you mention the HORROR OF DRACULA framing, yet it was you who used to spend post after post after post defending Warner's transfer, saying everyone was over-reacting ... remember?

But in the case of Warner's HOD, I felt uncomforatbly crrmped while watching it, with the tops of people's heads constantly cut off. I felt there was something wrong from the start.

Also, I didn't mean to come across that Rhett was "trying to stir up trouble". BUT I will say this -- the screen shot of the dark camp at night is NOT as "washed out and brightened" as it appears on the site's screen grab, not at all. That's a misnomer.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

OK, my bad there. Now that you mention it, I did notice the same thing there. Perhaps that was the one time I'd felt we needed a little more on the bottom.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

That's certainly good to know as I was able to rent the disc (not paying $30+ for it). I haven't gone through it yet but I've got the other two versions here to compare. I will say that the screenshots appear too light but if it's just the screenshots then it's why I said earlier that I don't put too much credit into them (nor do studios who see them as a joke).

I think one has the right to question if Paramount screwed up again because they did screw up on the opening titles of part 3. A minor mistake, perhaps like the framing here, but still a mistake.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

It's still not verified whether the framing of new release (and keep in mind it's not just the Blu-ray, but also the new SD) is "correct", or if it's the older ones have been "correct". But I do think the end with the too-tight closeups of King and Palmer tell a tale.

I think the bottom line is to watch the new release and see if it makes you uncomfortable. Many reviews went out already and nobody was aware of any "zooming". The question is, can you still enjoy it, or are you bothered by it? At least that's the way I'm getting as I turn older. Some things just aren't as important. But I guess it depends on the release in question, too.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The screenshots don't reflect what I'm seeing in regards to brightness. While it didn't bother me, the zooming is open to debate but I don't see any problem with the brightness level.

I'd recommend this disc to any F13 fan but if anyone is worried about the questions that have been raised, I'd say rent it and make up your own mind.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
In another prime example of why it pays to be patient with these things (here I go again dispensing advice I don't follow
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
), as The Dude would say, "New shit has come to light"! :D

caps-a-holic.com - DVD Vergleiche - Freitag der 13.

On second thought, the European uncut version may have always had tighter framing. Certainly, the screen shots on horrordigital.com don't look the same, but the ones on cap-a-holic.com show a very similar difference between the Friday the 13th US boxset DVD framing and the DE uncut DVD framing and what we're seeing with the new US BD/DVD framing and previous domestic releases.

Take a look at Comparison #7 in particular. Mrs. Voorhees' chin has been hacked off with the machete of questionable framing! ;)

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
It would seem they used a similar print as the European release for the purposes of uncut. Any idea why the framing would have been adjusted? Print damage perhaps?

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Don't some European countries have 1.66:1 as the widescreen standard? Perhaps this framing was done in an effort to make it more accessible to that market?

Edward Schatz

Second Unit
Any one try contacting Paramount yet? There contact number was not easily available on their site. Found it on DVDtalk but have not tried it yet. I'd take an uncut print in the original aspect ratio over this.

I watched the disc last night and the cropping is pretty noticeable in some shots. Headroom on some objects is gone completely (look for the gas pumps as an example). Sigh.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Then you're too busy worrying about headroom instead of just enjoying the film. I'd doubt Paramount will address this, because it's not a big deal at all, and only of interest to a relatively tiny cluster of people whining on the internet. The majority of consumers won't even notice or care.

MattFini

Supporting Actor

Not at all. I'm overly familiar with the film too and, having watched it last night, found myself somewhat distracted by the obvious cropping. It didn't stop me from enjoying the first Crystal Lake bloodbath, but it IS there and it IS noticeable.

I'm not sure that Paramount will care very much, but I would be interested see if they'll comment.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Not Paramount, but I did bring the issue to the attention of Jeff Kleist at thedigitialbits, who indicated he would bring it up with the studio.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If you can notice the cropping betwene the two releases, you have a near photographic memory of the movie.

Like I said before though, what's to say that the DVD was right in the first place? I'm not saying that the DVD wasn't correct but I don't see any way to say which one is the correct one.

MattFini

Supporting Actor
^ Luckily, this movie is playing on the big screen in Boston next weekend. I'll be checking it out.

Nothing concrete, but it should be interesting to see.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I was very pleased by the transfer, which looked filmlike and overall seemed outstanding, with no sign of EE or excessive filtering, the latter of which has been a problem on many Paramount HD titles.

Manfredini's score sounds incredible in TrueHD; the presence of the musical instruments and their clarity drops them right in your lap. I'm not usually a fan of 5.1 versions of mono tracks but this is an exception.

Too bad about the cropping, though a tighter European version might make some sense; I'm not familiar enough with the different variants of this movie around the globe to know for sure. You certainly wouldn't want shifting aspect ratios for the uncut stuff.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Having only seen the film twice (from the 1999 dvd), I'm looking forward to the Blu-ray & probably won't notice the cropping much. But an explanation would be good to hear from Paramount.

(And I'm trying to get through all sequels before seeing the remake. Made it to Pt 7, but some it has been tough going!)

RogerH

Supporting Actor
I just ordered this from amazon. I probably won't notice the cropping either. Hopefully we do get a reason and Paramount gets to releasing the rest on Blu.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks