Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: District 9 (Highly Recommended)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Richard Gallagher, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    XenForo Template

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Richard:

Nice job, as always.

Picked this up today as a blind buy. Very much looking forward to it after your raves about PQ, SQ & story.

3. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Thanks for the review Richard. I have this coming tomorrow from NetFlix. Looking forward to seeing it. Also, i cant believe i am getting a new release from NetFlix, the week it comes out!

4. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    That's terrific to get a hot new title so quickly from Netflix. You'll love it, I'm sure!

5. mike caronia

mike caronia Second Unit

I agree 100%

After my huge disappointment in a blind buy of Tarantino's latest last week....watching this tonight I had the complete opposite reaction. What a great ride this film was from start to finish.

I had no idea what D9 was about other than an alien ship had come to earth and we had them among us. What a unique take on the sci-fi genre. Can't wait to recommend this to friends.

6. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    You hit the nail on the head. I did not see this in a theater and I deliberately avoided reading about it because I knew I would be reviewing it when the BD came out. I was immediately caught up in it.Great from start to finish..

7. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Doesn't that review give up the entire movie except the end?

anyway I liked the movie it was great to watch something as original as this.
    I think the menu let's you choose either alien or human, but I didn't notice what the difference was.

There was 2 things that had me confused.
    Did...
    His father in-law put him in charge with the intention of causing Wilkus to be infected?

What was the plan of the aliens.
    When the alien was in his house with his son at one point I thought he was saying to his son that their plan was ruined or something like that.
    Just seemed like there was something more to what was going on with them.

8. Alfonso_M

Alfonso_M Second Unit

well, I was waiting for a review of this disc, and it sounds like my kind of flick.....I'll pick it up tomorrow. Thanks.

9. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

I thought the plan was just "escape and get the hell back home". But the plan was ruined when their fuel source was confiscated.

10. Neil Middlemiss

Neil Middlemiss Producer
    Reviewer

Neil Middlemiss
    Thanks for the great review, Rich. I pre-ordered this a while back and it arrived yesterday. After I catch Invictus at the theater today, I plan on spinning this - which I am now, thanks to your review, even more excited about watching.

Neil

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Supporting Actor

Good review although I do believe too many plot points were divulged in the film synopsis.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I almost rented this today. Saw it once in the theater and while a fantastic film, there's just not enough there to warrant a purchase, no rewatch factor in it for me.

Great review though and a rental at some point.

13. PatW

PatW Screenwriter

Patricia
    Great review. Was going to rent this first but the steelbook at futureshop beckoned me and I wasn't disappointed. Great movie.

14. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    You can't write a decent review without talking about the plot, and the question of how much information is too much information is a subjective one and not always an easy one to answer. In this case, I decided to address what happens to Wikus in part because the packaging clearly states that one of the extras is called "Metamorphosis: The Transforrmation of Wikus." Anyone who sees that is not going to be surprised that Wikus undergoes a metamorphosis.

That said, we reviewers try to be sensitive to spoilers, but there may be occasions when we reveal too much.

15. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Interesting that you talk about it being very "film like". District 9 was shot completely with the Red One 4k digital camera. I wonder if they added grain to the image to help it look more like film?

Doug

16. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

This certainly was one of the impressive looking films I have ever seen. The effects were just so transparent. I tend to have a keen eye for CGI and normally find it annoying when too much is on the screen, but this film did a great job. The story is pretty original and enjoyable. My only complaint is that the lead character is pretty much completely unlikable. As others have said, he is this strange mix of the manager from "Flight of the Conchords" and Michael Scott from "The Office". Not a good mix.

17. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    My personal approach is that I don't look up the technical specs before I write a review, because I don't want them to influence my opinion on what I see. To my eyes, it looks like film, and as someone else pointed out the CGI doesn't look like CGI.

IMDB says that the source format is 4K Redcode RAW, the master format is Digital Intermediate, and it was printed on 35mm film.

18. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I was going to mention in my review that this BD was a bit slow to load, but then I realized that my BD50 didn't have the latest firmware update, so in fairness I didn't want to make a negative comment which might be unwarranted. I just installed the latest update (2.1) and now the disc loads pretty quickly.

Anyone who encounters slow loading might want to check his or her Blu-ray player and make sure it has the latest firmware installed.

19. Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce Producer

Oh I wasn't questioning that it looked like film, I just thought it was interesting how film like it looked when it was a completely digital product. I imagine the 35mm prints were strictly for theatrical presentation. I suspect the blu-ray comes ported directly from the digital master files.

Doug

20. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    Whatever they did, they did it right. I certainly didn't have the feeling that I was watching a digital print. I wish now that I had seen it in a theater so I would know how well it compares. I just now read Roger Ebert's review and he talks about the seamless merger of the CGI, so I suspect that the Blu-ray accurately reflects how it looked in theaters.