What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
bryan4999 said:
Does anyone know if the 1-disc "blu-ray essentials" disc contains all 3 versions of the film? Is it just the supplements that would be missing? Thanks so much.
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 1 disc blu release but the 2 disc Blu CE3K I just bought was only $14-99 at Amazon.

shazzerman

Agent
Real Name
Noel
Oh man. Bob Balaban's "Close Encounters" diary was the first book on cinema I ever read. Magic stuff. Still the fondest filmgoing memory I have is the day I saw "Close Encounters" on the big screen. It put my dreams up on the screen. The blu-ray is still my most prized (and, more importantly, my most watched).

bryan4999

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bryan Forbes
NY2LA said:
I didn't know there was such a thing as a 1 disc blu release but the 2 disc Blu CE3K I just bought was only $14-99 at Amazon.
I just noticed the one disc version is $11.99 on amazon, $3 more is more than worth it for the additional disc. Thanks!

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Originally Posted by bryan4999 /t/264931/htf-blu-ray-review-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-highly-recommended/30#post_3936424
Does anyone know if the 1-disc "blu-ray essentials" disc contains all 3 versions of the film? Is it just the supplements that would be missing? Thanks so much.
The Blu has all three cuts on the same disc through branching so yes, it would just be omitting the extras.

But really you should just spend the extra three bucks. Bouzereau's Making of CE3K is still one of if not the greatest documentaries he's ever done.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lord Dalek said:
The Blu has all three cuts on the same disc through branching so yes, it would just be omitting the extras.
But really you should just spend the extra three bucks. Bouzereau's Making of CE3K is still one of if not the greatest documentaries he's ever done.
I don't want to tell anyone what to do here but I do like the making of stuff that includes, among other things, an on-camera interview with a grown up Carey Guffey about how it was with Steven on the set... The story behind this move is really interesting and it's fun to watch - not the kind of thing one watches once then forgets - worth coming back to.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/264931/htf-blu-ray-review-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-highly-recommended/30#post_3936494
I don't want to tell anyone what to do here but I do like the making of stuff that includes, among other things, an on-camera interview with a grown up Carey Guffey about how it was with Steven on the set... The story behind this move is really interesting and it's fun to watch - not the kind of thing one watches once then forgets - worth coming back to.

Here's a nice little extra - Hervé Attia's On The Set of CE3K. Very well done.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Sounds good, but I wish that web page offered a good summary description of what exactly is on the DVD. Maybe I'm missing it, or I need to watch all of those clips, or I just need that third cup of coffee this morning. (That's probably it.)

Cinescott

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by Chas in CT /t/264931/htf-blu-ray-review-close-encounters-of-the-third-kind-highly-recommended/30#post_3937129
Sounds good, but I wish that web page offered a good summary description of what exactly is on the DVD. Maybe I'm missing it, or I need to watch all of those clips, or I just need that third cup of coffee this morning. (That's probably it.)
You can find the entire video on Youtube.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
This was found under Blue-Ray rather than the BR-Reviews
I have just started looking at the BR and have started to look at the extras. The BR version (ABC) was bought at Amazon-UK along with E.T. I also bought sometime ago the 3 DVD set from the US. Missing from the UK set is the 64-page Collector’s Book. In the US set there was a multi-page booklet (missing from the UK) which includes info about the performers BUT NOT the boy Barry ( Carry Guffey)!!! Also missing from the UK set was the poster stating about the various versions which was in the US set. It seems with the E.T. from England there are also various extras missing.

PS - Can I get ther missing items for Close Encounters and ET from the US?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation239
Recent bookmarks