What's new

HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Bambi: Diamond Edition (Combo Pack) (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was about to give the DVD to my mother but I noticed this:
"Disneypedia: Bambi's Forest Friends"
this item is listed on the DVD but not the blu ray extras listing. So..does this mean mom does not get the DVD? In other words, the bluray doesn't have that extra?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
No, that extra is not on the blu-ray. It was a carry-over from the older dvd release. But it's only a 4 minute clip of baby animals with fun facts or whatever. Don't be such a stingy hoarder--give that dvd to your mom!!!
(Really, isn't "Bambi" just the perfect Mother's Day gift??)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jason_V said:
I've never been a fan of Bambi and quite honestly don't understand what everyone sees in it.  It's this "moment in time" film without a real driving narrative behind it.  We're simply watching these characters go about a "normal" period in their lives.  The same kind of goes for Snow White with me.  I haven't given Bambi the time of day since the last DVD release, so I *am* looking forward to trying it out again with the BD release.
Really? There's no narrative? We see his childhood, his mother is murdered, he escapes from a forest fire. His father intervenes. I've always thought this film had plot that moved it forward. Is this a normal period in their lives? I guess you could argue that, but the nature of their lives makes it extraordinary.
I understand not everyone likes the film, but not because there's no story there.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Going back to the first time I saw Bambi in theater, it's never been a Disney movie I hanker to see. My mother will tell you I cried through the entire thing when she took me to see it.

Here's my problem, as best as I can remember it: the story before the fire doesn't build to anything. Look at Little Mermaid, for instance. From the beginning, we know Ariel wants to be human and is fascinated with human culture. Therefore, everything that happens is in service of that one goal.

Take non-Disney: Jaws. We know from the beginning there is a shark terrorizing humans. Everything, from Brody's paranoia to getting on the boat with Quint, is in service of that.

What happens during Bambi? Bambi plays with his friends and gets older. It feels like, to me, there came a point in the story where the everyone realized there was no BIG event and the fire was thrown in.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ethan Riley said:
No, that extra is not on the blu-ray. It was a carry-over from the older dvd release. But it's only a 4 minute clip of baby animals with fun facts or whatever. Don't be such a stingy hoarder--give that dvd to your mom!!!
(Really, isn't "Bambi" just the perfect Mother's Day gift??)
She'd love it. But she already knows I'm a cheap bastard! lol
Truth be told: I have a stack of things I'm taking her, including the DVDs that came with Snow white, Beauty & the Beast, and Fiddler on the Roof. She'll act like it's the great things ever because I'm giving them to her. Little old ladies are so easy to pull one over on! lol
(God, don't let mom see this)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I may be a bit of an old man (53). But I think it's a nice thing for you to do, James!

You are giving her something she'll enjoy that she didn't already have.

My dad is a voracious reader and I scour garage sales and library book sales just to keep him busy. He knows where the books are from and couldn't care that they are "used/cheap." He just enjoys 'em and appreciates the effort.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Jason_V said:
Going back to the first time I saw Bambi in theater, it's never been a Disney movie I hanker to see.  My mother will tell you I cried through the entire thing when she took me to see it. 
Here's my problem, as best as I can remember it: the story before the fire doesn't build to anything.  Look at Little Mermaid, for instance.  From the beginning, we know Ariel wants to be human and is fascinated with human culture.  Therefore, everything that happens is in service of that one goal. 
When my wife and I first saw The Fox and the Hound" there was a scene so emotionally wrenching to us, we decided to never watch the movie again. It's not a comment about the quality of the movie, but simply a choice.
As for the movie having no point early one, I can think of another that is similar. To Kill a Mockingbird is, for the first 30 minutes (might not be that long) concerned almost only with the life of two kids. Sure, if you've scene it before you know that's not all of it, but a first time watcher wouldn't. However, I don't find this aimless, but very engaging on an emotional level. The kids are so real, its so easy to identify with them. So it is with Bambi, I recognize myself the the juvenile forest creatures.
Not every moment of a movie must move the plot along. Some of it must be to introduce the audience to (and cause the audience to care about) the characters.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I don't begrudge anyone their enjoyment of Bambi. It resides on my shelf right now. However, it is not the Disney classic for me it is to most people.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Mike Frezon said:
I may be a bit of an old man (53).  But I think it's a nice thing for you to do, James!  :tu:
You are giving her something she'll enjoy that she didn't already have.
My dad is a voracious reader and I scour garage sales and library book sales just to keep him busy.  He knows where the books are from and couldn't care that they are "used/cheap."  He just enjoys 'em and appreciates the effort. 
Mom is 65. She was very happy when I gave her those. She'll probably watch them with my 10 year nieces and/or my 5 year old great nephew (he just moved near to my folks, and I got to see him for the first time this weekend). Anyway, Mom is enjoying getting my DVDs I've upgraded to Blurays for myself. I made her pay a few dollars for a stack once. I'm not happy with that! :blush:
Mom is a hell of a haggler. We went to a big flea market this weekend and she talked them down from $45 to $20 on season 1 - 6 (6 on blu ray) of Weeds for me. She even paid $7 of it for me since I was short. She's also a book collector, has shelves that are double stacked. Dad got her a Kindle for xmas and she's loving the hell out of that thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks