What's new

HTF BD REVIEW: Predator (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

even the lowest budget production can shine if you properly master it (and care to).

The use of the word "shine" conjures of visions of applying a heavy coat of wax. In other words, DNRing the hell out of the thing to get rid of film grain. As Malcolm said, the film is what it is--inherently grainy and NOT intended to look "shiny".

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Alen: Yeah, the studios are notorious for making people buy their products two, three times. But usually, third (or fourth) time's the charm when it concerns the transfer, extras, whatever.

Malcolm: I absolutely DON'T want them to DNR this or otherwise try to "clean up" any grain. I just find it hard to believe that a film of this caliber, with a top-notch cast and crew, that they didn't have a big enough budget to afford the best equipment and use the best film stock. I mean, wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know, a big star in those days? He wasn't making low budget independent films - he knew he was making a BIG movie. I've seen DVDs of no-budget slasher flicks from the 70's look as if they were made last week.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Luisito34

Alen: Yeah, the studios are notorious for making people buy their products two, three times. But usually, third (or fourth) time's the charm when it concerns the transfer, extras, whatever.

Malcolm: I absolutely DON'T want them to DNR this or otherwise try to "clean up" any grain. I just find it hard to believe that a film of this caliber, with a top-notch cast and crew, that they didn't have a big enough budget to afford the best equipment and use the best film stock. I mean, wasn't Arnold Schwarzenegger, you know, a big star in those days? He wasn't making low budget independent films - he knew he was making a BIG movie. I've seen DVDs of no-budget slasher flicks from the 70's look as if they were made last week.

He was making his way in the film world but this was not a big budget film, it was not low budget either since they spent $15m dollars on it, a year later they paid Arnie over half of that ( $8m dollars ) for Red Heat.

To put that into perspective i believe The Running Man from the same year had a production budget of $30m dollars.

When you take into account the conditions they were filming under and the fact this was a movie which required action and effects sequences to work then they did a really good job with the money they had at their disposal. It's a better movie than The Running Man which came out the same year and cost double the budget.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
I too am curious as to what will happen with this film on the next release. But I do believe that no work has been done on the video...so it will most likely be the same.

BTW what the heck happened to the formatting of the review?? Yikes! Looks like a forum conversion casualty. I'd better fix it.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/37514/update-new-predator-blu-ray-way-from-fox

No idea who their source is but this website is saying a new transfer is being made. Holding out hope....

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I can't see this looking significantly better than it does now - even with a new transfer - unless it undergoes a multi-million dollar Lowry-style digital restoration.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks