What's new

HTF BD REVIEW: Predator (1 Viewer)

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, this is the only reason why I said I was starting to feel bad for Michael. It wasn't that I thought anyone found his reviews lacking; it was that I worried he could begin to think we were unappreciative because all the focus was on Fox's idiocy.

Michael, I too appreciate your reviews! :emoji_thumbsup:

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
God knows I appreciate Michael's reviews--he's saving me $$$ and a mountain of buyer's remorse!

Blu-ray titles I own or currently have pre-ordered, by studio:

Warner: 21
Sony Pictures: 9
Buena Vista: 6 (this is not a reflection of the quality of Buena Vista Blu-rays, which are at the top of the pack, but due to the relative lack of titles of interest from this studio; based solely on the level of quality Buena Vista has established with their Blu-ray releases, they would rank at the very top of my list, and I am eager to support them as a consumer in any way I can)
Fox: 5 (I, ROBOT—which I would not have purchased if Fox hadn’t duped me into believing that all the extras from the SD version had been ported over without being edited; SUNSHINE; THE FLY [1986]; 28 DAYS LATER and 28 WEEKS LATER; in the case of 28 WEEKS LATER, I purchased it new and sealed from an Amazon Marketplace private seller for half of Fox’s absurd retail price)
Lionsgsate: 4
Paramount: 1

I would like to pre-order BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID, MRS. DOUBTFIRE and PATTON but, due to my I, ROBOT “sucker punch”, I am now in a position where I will not pre-order, nor purchase upon release, any FOX titles until I find a detailed review online (usually at HighDefDigest) that clarifies whether all bonus features from their respective SD counterparts have been ported over in unedited form. Fox is the only studio in existence that I have such lack of purchase confidence in that I have to do “due diligence” research on each title I’m interested in before committing to a purchase.

However, this is only half of the equation—Fox could easily dismiss my low purchase numbers for the same reason I mentioned in the case of my Buena Vista titles: relative lack of titles of interest. But that would be faulty reasoning—here is the list of Fox titles I would have purchased (even at Fox’s ridiculous price points) if the full and unedited tier of bonus features from each title’s SD counterpart had been retained:

X-MEN: THE LAST STAND
SPEED
FANTASTIC FOUR
ROCKY
MEN OF HONOR
PLANET OF THE APES [2001]
THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW
FROM HELL
LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD (Unrated)
MR. AND MRS. SMITH
CAST AWAY
ME, MYSELF AND IRENE
INDEPENDENCE DAY
DIE HARDs 1-3 (???Haven’t yet confirmed if all extras have been properly ported over???)
PREDATOR

If I paid a discounted price of $25 per title, that would be another $425 from me in Fox’s coffers, and they would be in first place for the amount of titles from a given studio in my collection. Multiply me over untold collectors in the market and how much money and visibility is Fox losing out on?

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
ditto the reviews...I pay more attention to reviews of Fox BD than any other.

Perhaps it isnt strange then, that I can't find a single Fox BD in my collection. The assininity of their pricing is beyond comprehension and I cannot fathom why anyone would pay them...and no...money is not the object...it's about value. Fox is a disgrace.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I have a few Fox Blu-Ray discs, but only because of those insane Amazon BOGO sales right after Christmas. I ended up paying less than $9 per disc so it was a no-brainer for films like Die Hard, but there's no way in hell would I ever pay anywhere close to full MSRP for a Fox title. I'd like to pick up I Robot and Independence Day, but I have a feeling I'll be holding off on those for a LONG time. :thumbsdown:

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Ditto. That will save me another $28 this month! Might look at it again if i can find it for a BOGO this Christmas!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Yes Travis, Fox is saving me quite a bit of money...I can now cross off another title I will not be buying. Even if the retail price was $29.95, I wouldn't buy it. I have been burned too many times by DVD double dips in the past...HD is a new chapter for me, I have learned from my mistakes.

Perhaps comparing sales from HD films that don't port over all the special features to HD films that do, will make them realize the error of their ways.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Thank you gents, for the kind words.

I have reviewed over 400 titles for HTF over the past five years and I can honestly say that I am both appreciative for fine product and critical of what I believe to be products of lesser value. It is unfortunate that Fox has taken much heat for their catalogue titles even when their day-and-date releases can be impressive. We can only hope that they are listening and will evaluate their catalogue with a close eye and our concerns.

Brian, indeed I use a DMP-BD10A. I don't plan on changing my front end until surround processors improve their audio performance. In my opinion, they are still at the bottom of the barrel for sound quality so I've been directing my cash flow to other areas in the system where a performance increase is substantial. I use an Ayre K-1 preamp for two channel and use each of my Theta Dreadnaughts as monoblocks to my Dunlavys and I have yet to hear a surround processor that turns audio into magic like my Ayre does.

Michael

Brian L

Senior HTF Member

So, you are using the 5.1 analogs? That would mean that you are able to decode the DTS core, rather that DTS-HS MA, correct? Not that I expect a difference on a title like this.

I have been very impressed with the sound of the analogs from my 10a, although I do run it through an ICBM, due to some issues with internal BM on certain types of soundtracks (so says the manual). The uncompressed stuff, such as 5th Element and the Disney titles have been quite good.

Brian

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Yes, the DMP-BD10A decodes core only (although it identifies the DTS-HD). I use a receiver as a pass-through 6-channel volume control and the player does all of the decoding/DAC/volume for the 6 channels for UPCM, DTHD, & DTS core. I wish I had a better solution at this time but I don't see one. It's all marketing claims thrown at me for justification of better sound quality. The last preamp I tried in my system was a Lexicon. I local hifi shop wanted me to try it out. I had to tell them sorry "not for me". Just not enough improvement (if any).

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Let's review:
Old transfer (MPEG 2)
&
no special features.
That's the ticket!

Thanks for the review tho.
(especially the 'realistic' PQ score, even tho I LUV this movie its never 'looked' right too me either)

I've brought this three times on SD, looks like I'll skip this.
(unless its like $12.50US or less used)
Waiting for the 'inevitable' BD doubledip.
Thx Fox!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i have the AvP double movie set on pre order from amazon but only because it was $28 at the time of order.
this is the only way will order any Fox blu ray.
deep discount sale pricing.

i have no intention of buying any fox disc at these ridiculous prices.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
It pains me to say this (since I fear that purchases of this release will only help reinforce for Fox that it's okay to continue presenting Blu-rays in this weak manner), but it appears that Target will be selling the PREDATOR Blu-ray for 50% off ($19.95) five days after its release (the week of April 20-26).

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Rented this Tuesday - save your money. This title desperately needs remastered. As I've seen stated elsewhere, they need to do a brand new IP to HD remaster. It's not like this movie was shot in poor conditions with cheap film stock - I think making a new transfer from scratch would do wonders for this movie. I have to think Fox will do so for the inevitable double-dip - there's just no reason a big budget movie made within the last 20 years should look this mediocre on Blu.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Well, Nick, I guess you and I just had different expectations. I watched this last night, and I thought it looked pretty damn good. Predator certainly has never looked better in any other previous home video format. Additionally, I thought the sound was rather impressive as well.

I will certainly defend what everyone has said it here regarding Fox, their MSRP, and the lack of extras on this particular title. I certainly wouldn't blame anyone for not purchasing this on principal either. But if you love this movie and cannot wait for the inevitable double-dip I think it is a worthy purchase if you can find it for a good price (e.g. $19.99 at Target next week).

For me, it is hard to pass up films I consider to be 'must own' when even the most mediocre BD transfer is generally head and shoulders above the DVD counterpart, and there are so few titles I consider to be 'must own' being offered at the moment.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
For many of us, though, it doesn't make sense to buy a product that's "most mediocre" and very high priced at the same time. We choose not to reward mediocrity and high prices.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

That's fine. That's your right, and I have no problem with it. Again, I tried to qualify my rather lukewarm recommendation for this title with 'if you can find it for a good price'.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that sometimes with the above analysis the movie itself may get overlooked. I'd rather buy a barebones Predator than a suped-up Alvin and the Chipmunks because for me it is my preceived quality of the movie itself that factors into my purchasing decision first and foremost. Extras have little to no bearing to me because I rarely have time to watch them, and I've never understood buying a movie I was indifferent toward or didn't like because it was 'reference quality'.

I guess if I had the iron willpower of the rest of you, then I probably wouldn't be buying many BDs at all. :laugh:

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Well, technically, PREDATOR wasn't made within the last 20 years... ;)

Does that depress the hell out of you as much as me?

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
I just find it sad at how Fox is treating some of there Blu-ray releases, it's not that I'm bother paying the £22+ price tag (here in the UK), or even that they're not porting over all the extras - it's the fact that there's NO extras apart from a couple of trailers and the way they keep skipping the unrated/extended cuts when we all know they could release them via seamless branching.

I really, really want Predator and Commando in my Blu-ray collection but when Fox are treating there releases so badly, why should I buy them and support there efforts?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks