What's new

HTF AWARDS 2005: Official Results Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's the only reason that I would say that Universal is the worst studio. I don't have to buy the (many) re-releases that they put out and I wish they had better extras on catalog titles but since they won't fix an obvious problem, they earned the 'distinction'.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Ep.III best audio over War Of The Worlds...?!?!?!
hmmmm..... Not in my apartment.

And yes, Universal sucks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

I got in here late, but the answers provided already
are correct.

The following is not necessarily my opinion, but those
reasons listed at the time of nominations....

The 2005 Limited Edition was a re-release where
Fox could (or could not)have easily gone back
and fixed the audio issues that they were aware of,
but didn't.

The *actual* winner for WORST AUDIO was Fox's
attempt to create stereo mixes from mono masters,
however, some members protested that was not a
valid answer for the category. To compromise, I
decided to post both results.

Universal was voted worst studio primarily for their
use of DVD-14/18 discs. There were so many problems
reported throughout the year regarding incompatability
issues.

Hope this helps.

Mark Anthony

Second Unit
Patrick I'm afraid the disc compression is partly to blame, as well as excessive dvnr, on Oklahoma as apparantly the HD master it was derived from doesn't look anywhere near as soft or "enhanced"!

- regardless the film does a need a full photo-chemical & probably digital restoration, but until/if this ever happens the HD home versions shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as the dvd.

As for Universal, they have made huge leaps and bounds in quality and availability of titles over the last few years, it's that final 20% of care and attention to each product that they need to address.

M

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Mark: You're right. The problem is that due to the level of DVNR, I can't really tell what's compression artifacting and what's noise reduction smearing. After looking again, pretty much any shot with camera movement has tons of blocking. According to the bitrate program from Gary Tooze's website, the avg. bitrate is only 5.33 mbps. In comparison, the first half of Around the World in 80 Days (Warner) is 6.17 mbps (second half is 6.8 mbps). The first half of 80 Days, running 112 ninutes, takes up 5.08 GB while Oklahoma! (152 min.) takes up only 5.77 GB on the disc! In comparison, another film around the same amount of time (162 min), The Bridge on the River Kwai, takes up 7.77 GB!

Another black mark on the DVD, then. Fox is usually terrific at compression.

[url=http://img328.imageshack.us/img328/7099/oklahomaca0ru.png] [/url]

Lots of pixelation on Curly's belt and a big splotch on the right side on the sky.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
So is there a way to see the runner's up? Theres a couple of discs that I voted for (well, many actually) that didnt win. I'd like to see how they placed.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I agree with everything Patrick McCart said in this thread.

I also think the Star Wars obsession is getting pretty exhausted and seemingly futile since it's apparent that the fans are still not satisfied. I think the only thing this fixation adds to is a false stereotyped perception of your typical messageboard fanboy which isn't an accurate image of HTF at all.

And I agree that what Warner Bros has done with The Wizard Of Oz is far more impressive than any digital transfer of a CGI film produced less than 5 years ago.

I am glad to see the results of the Worst DVD categories though, they are quite accurately represented. After announcing complete, uncut and chronological box sets of Tom & Jerry at the HTF WB Chat 2 years ago... these are easily the most dissapointing, thoughtless and disrespectful releases I've seen yet for films of such caliber... which are clearly not held in similar regard amongst a select people responsible for bringing them to DVD.

The worst candidate has been adequately chosen. :thumbsdown:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

You know, Paramount is letting John K fix everything with Ren & Stimpy with a comprehensive box set...

Why not offer a complete box set of all Tom & Jerry films, transfered in Ultra-Resolution (like the color Looney Tunes on the 4-disc sets), completely uncensored, with more commentaries and extras for a premium price? Maybe better, perhaps offer 4-disc in Looney Tunes style with a mix of MGM cartoons? This way, we could get 60 cartoons consisting of T&J, Tex Avery, Harmon-Ising, and all the misc. shorts.

Maybe this would just be a better project for HD?

Just a few figures...

There are 144 Tom & Jerry cartoons (Hanna-Barbera, Gene Deitch, and Chuck Jones combined). There are 86 Tex Avery cartoons. 36 Harmon-Ising cartoons. There's probably less than 30 others (The two Count Skrewloose cartoons, the rest of the Droopy and Barney Bear shorts, the two Chuck Jones "special" shorts). All in all, they could do 4-disc sets with 60 cartoons each in about 5 sets.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I think that we all share some frustration in the sense that we wonder whether these polls reflect us as individuals. But, of course they don't - they reflect key demographics.

HTF's demographic is

Mostly Male

Mostly Young

With a bias towards technology (check out some of the other sub-forums)

So when the votes add up more to a popularly poll, we really shouldn't be too surprised.

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I despise these results. I rented The Incredibles and watched all the special features and I don't see what the big deal is. I haven't seen Star Wars Episode III at the movies or on DVD, but there is no doubt in my mind that it could not top The Simpsons: Season 7 for best menu design. The Simpsons were robbed! Also, it pains me to see the most overrated movie I've ever seen voted as the most anticipated DVD of 2006. People push for this worthless movie while movies that I love which are far more deserving of a good DVD are still not planned for a new DVD release. The only decision I agree with is picking The Simpsons: Season 6 as the DVD set with the worst packaging.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

I despise these results. I rented The Incredibles and watched all the special features and I don't see what the big deal is.

To be fair, one must take in account the very small participation that accounted for these results. The average total votes for all the nominations combined in each category was less than 200, in some cases the "winner" received less than 50 votes. Thus, the results may not entirely reflect the opinions of the majority of HTF members, just the majority of the few HTF members who participated.

Quote:

So is there a way to see the runner's up? Theres a couple of discs that I voted for (well, many actually) that didnt win. I'd like to see how they placed. So is there a way to see the runner's up? Theres a couple of discs that I voted for (well, many actually) that didnt win. I'd like to see how they placed.

Unofficial final results from the midnight deadline:

Best DVD Overall
  • 78 32% The Incredibles
  • 63 26% King Kong (1933)
  • 42 17% The Wizard Of Oz
  • 40 17% Sin City: Extended & Recut
  • 18 _7% The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection
Worst Overall DVD
  • 30 20% Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection Volume 2
  • 29 19% Star Wars Original Trilogy Limited (2005 release)
  • 22 15% Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities
  • 21 14% Shrek: The Story So Far
  • 18 12% The Big Leboswki SE
  • 11 _7% The Graduate Special Edition
  • 10 _7% The Pacifier
  • _8 _5% Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season One
Best DVD Transfer
  • 72 33% Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
  • 57 26% The Incredibles
  • 33 15% The Wizard Of Oz
  • 29 13% Sin City: Recut & Extended
  • 25 12% Toy Story 10th Anniversary
Worst Overall Transfer
  • 47 42% Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities
  • 29 26% Oklahoma: Todd-AO Version
  • 18 16% The Man Who Knew Too Much
  • 14 12% Meet The Fockers
  • _5 _4% Jaws: 30th Anniversary
Best Video Transfer
  • 82 41% Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith
  • 49 25% The Wizard Of Oz
  • 32 16% Toy Story 10th Anniversary
  • 23 12% Sin City: Recut & Extended
  • 14 _7% Titanic: Special Edition
Worst Video Transfer
  • 45 41% Walt Disney Treasures: Disney Rarities
  • 36 33% Oklahoma! Special Edition
  • 11 10% Meet The Fockers
  • _8 _7% Lois & Clark: Season One
  • _5 _5% The Pacifier
  • _3 _3% I, Monster
  • _1 _1% The Resurrected
Best Audio Transfer
  • 58 28% Star Wars Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith
  • 53 26% The Incredibles
  • 41 20% Batman Begins
  • 34 17% War Of The Worlds (2005)
  • 18 _9% Titanic Special Edition
Worst Audio Transfer
  • 58 46% Fox's fake stereo tracks from mono original
  • 30 24% Star Wars Original Trilogy: Limited Edition (2005 release)
  • 21 17% Mary Poppins: 40th Anniversary
  • 11 _9% Sin City: Recut & Extended
  • _5 _4% Vertigo (mono track)
Best Features (Supplements)
  • 70 33% King Kong 2-Disc (1933)
  • 62 29% The Wizard Of Oz 3-Disc
  • 24 11% Sin City: Recut & Extended
  • 20 _9% Titanic: Special Edition
  • 19 _9% Gladiator: Extended Version
  • 17 _8% Twilight Zone: The Definitive Collection
Best Menu Design
  • 58 32% Star Wars Episode III - Revenge Of The Sith
  • 35 20% Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volume 3
  • 33 18% Batman Begins (2-disc)
  • 29 16% Sin City: Recut & Extended
  • 24 13% The Simpsons: Season Seven
Best Packaging
  • 64 32% King Kong Collector's Tin
  • 49 25% Wizard Of Oz 3-Disc
  • 48 24% King Kong: Peter Jackson's Production Diaries
  • 21 11% The Muppet Show: Season One
  • 17 _9% Saw: Unrated
Worst Packaging
  • 69 42% Collectable Homer Simpson Head Boxed Sets
  • 65 40% Tabbed DVD Cases
  • 11 _7% The Munsters Season 2
  • _9 _6% Ghostbusters 1 & 2
  • _9 _6% Gallagher: Smashing Watermelon Collection
Best Restoration
  • 99 45% King Kong (1933)
  • 47 22% The Wizard Of Oz
  • 42 19% Bambi: Platinum Edition
  • 17 _8% The Harold Lloyd Comedy Collection
  • _7 _3% The Sting
  • _6 _3% Doctor Who: The Mind Robber
Best Studio
  • 159 77% Warner Brothers
  • _21 10% Twentieth Century Fox
  • _12 _6% Criterion
  • __8 _4% Paramount
  • __7 _3% Walt Disney
Worst Studio
  • 88 52% Universal
  • 34 20% MGM/Sony/Columbia
  • 24 14% Alliance Atlantis
  • 11 _7% Twentieth Century Fox
  • _9 _5% Walt Disney
  • _3 _2% Orbit Media
Missed Opportunities
  • 35 23% Office Space Special Edition
  • 33 22% The Muppet Movie (Disney)
  • 21 14% The Big Lebowski Collector's Edition
  • 19 12% Friday The 13th Boxed Set
  • 16 10% Oklahoma 50th Anniversary
  • 16 10% Alfred Hitchcock Presents: Season 1
  • _7 _5% Veronica Mars Season 1
  • _6 _4% Hell's Angels (Universal)
ONE Title for 2006
  • 81 29% Blade Runner: Special Edition
  • 77 28% Star Wars: The Original Trilogy as originally released
  • 63 23% Superman II: Director's Cut
  • 40 14% The African Queen
  • 15 _5% Hamlet (1996)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

It pains me that you somehow think your personal opinion is the end-all, be-all opinion when it comes to BLADE RUNNER.

Vincent

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I never said it was the "end-all, be-all opinion". I don't believe that such an opinion exists. I just take a shot at Blade Runner whenever something like this inspires me to. I honestly think that it's a very shallow movie, and the fact that so many people praise it shows how shallow movie fans can be, as they are so dazzled by the special effects that they fail to see its deficiencies in all of the most important aspects of a film such as acting, writing, and story.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Nils!

Well done!

How did you get those figures? I deleted the
threads as I tallied the results. Next year I
will post the runner-ups.

I am very thankful you actually got these results
intact - how did you do it?

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

The simple fact that you call people who like BLADE RUNNER "shallow movie fans" most definitely indicates that you consider your opinion the be-all, end all opinion when it comes to BLADE RUNNER. I have yet to meet a BLADE RUNNER fan who loves the film only because of its "dazzling special effects", which is an absurd accusation on your part. I frankly don't see any of the "deficiencies in all of the most important aspects of a film such as acting, writing, and story" that you do, and it has nothing to do with the me being blinded by the "dazzling special effects"- it has to do with the fact that in my opinion, those elements you point out are not deficient, period.

You're perfectly entitled to dislike BLADE RUNNER all you want, but don't call me and others who love the movie "shallow" and expect not to be called out on it. The fact that you were "pained" because people expressed an opinion about a movie that was contrary to yours in the first place is more than a little telling.

Vincent

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Ocean,

You're among film lovers here where differing opinions about films are welcomed (and expected) but 'holier than thou' attitudes are not.

Frankly, I don't know what effects that are in Blade Runner are all that special. To me, Blade Runner has always been about the story with it being a nice mix between science fiction (the science fiction that seems every year one year closer to reality) film noir and 'human' drama. A terrific film.

Moving on, I didn't vote for Blade Runner because:

a. I don't see any evidence to suggest this film's release is a reasonable possibility.

b. There is already a release, so others are more deserving to (at least) get a release.

c. Swing a vote to something that film fans love but is more actionable, where HTF can be a conduit for getting the darn film out.

That's why I voted for African Queen. ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I didn't really like Blade Runner much, but I have to agree that the current DVD is one of the worst from a major studio.

Although, I think requests should go for underdogs. A special edition of Blade Runner is an obvious one since WB was working on one anyways a few years ago. It's obvious we'll get The African Queen soon (probably this year since it'll be the 55th anniversary). However, how many requests has Paramount gotten for their copyrighted silents? Fox's 1930's films? Columbia's cartoon library?

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
Okay, I didn't mean to convey a "holier than thou" attitude. I wouldn't want to do that, because I hate when people do that, so I'll simply say this: when I saw Blade Runner, the only thing about it that impressed me was the special effects, so the fact that so many people love it baffles me. I think part of the reason why I'm so negative towards it now is because it was such a letdown for me since I was really excited and had high expectations when I saw it.

I love a lot of the science fiction movies that are considered classics, I tend to enjoy Harrison Ford's acting, and I've liked all of the Ridley Scott movies that I've seen, so I really expected the movie to be a new favourite of mine when I saw it. I guess it's hard for me to get over what a colossal disappontment it was for me, after so many elements lead me to believe that I would love it, and maybe I'm even a little jealous that so many people can enjoy it while I cannot. It's as if everyone else can see something in it that I cannot...or maybe they love it because they interpret it in a way that I do not and therefore "see what they want to see" :D

From the first time I heard of the movie (thinking it had a cool-sounding title) I wanted to like "Blade Runner", but the movie just didn't cut it for me. Part of the problem may also be that I've disliked almost every movie I've seen that's been a "straight film noir" or had "film noir elements" to it. That's just not my genre.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

First, Blade Runner HAS been released. You want to root for an underdog fine, but there are many films that still haven't been on any form of video yet AND no way should Blade Runner be on anybody's worst DVD list. Cold Mountain yes, Blade Runner no. It's anamorphic widescreen with decent video and audio, there are many DVD releases that still don't have those qualities. Blade Runner may seem to be an "obvious" contender, but it seems to have contentious rights issues that are even more obvious to anyone that has followed the matter over the course of years.

The African Queen "probably" coming out this year? I hope you're right. But not based on any 55th anniversary logic. After all, they mucked up the 50th anniversary opportunity, didn't they?

Ocean,

No problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks