What's new

HTF AFI 100 Challenge Revote Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure on a cutoff date just yet. Let's shoot for the end of Feb at the latest and maybe pull it in if a lot of us can get going on this. I was asking for Jan 31, but I'm wondering if everyone can make it. Still a lot of people to hear from that I know have opinions on the subject. :)
I am finding it pretty tough (which is a lot of the point I think). It's easy to throw rocks from the sidelines, but when you get in there and have to think about it all, there's a lot to ponder.
I've seen some very good replacement choices.
I'll put up my prelims for bottom 25 in a bit, just for discussion as others have already done.
And a side note, we are getting ready to slam some films that others love. Let's keep it pleasant as this will surely be the ultimate exercise of personal tastes.:)
I happen love Ben-Hur, so you just can't tell I guess.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
BTW, keep the replacement talk going to, that is helping me. I'll put up some of mine in a little bit too.

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I found I could pretty easily come up with 15 to "cut" from the AFI 100, but after that, it starts to hurt. Still pondering those last 10 that I'd conceivably want to replace...

(And I haven't given much thought at all to the 25 I'd propose, other than a handful of personal favorites.)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Remember it's not a "cut" list even though we all want to think of it like that. Think of it as the first 25 films ABOVE films 101-200 if you want to. :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Here's a film that I forgot wasn't on the list - Halloween.
An amazing film, beginning of a new genre, and probably the best from a very popular American director. Actually I think his direction in The Thing is better, but Halloween is mega-famous.
Plus, isn't it the most lucrative independent film ever made?

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
Halloween is also one that I am considering. It definitely defined a genre.
Did Blair Witch take over as most profitible independent? What about Deep Throat :)

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Just giving this thread a bump to remind people to work on their 25 lists over the weekend. Is end of February really necessary? End of January seems more reasonable and would help keep focus (which you'll notice has been lacking, since no one has posted for a week now). Just a thought.

Scott Dill

Stunt Coordinator
I agree on the end of January. I expected more discussion to be generated, but now I doubt that extending another month will really help that much.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, Bill, when I got laid off it did make me feel better that I wasn't in the first wave of layoffs. :)
Your not our worst employee, you are above every other SOB that we didn't even hire in the first place.
Does that mean I still get a paycheck? :D
BTW, I've been meaning to get my lists up here for some talk. I'll try to get to that this weekend. We could end at January if anyone would freaking join in. We have like 5 or 6 people here and a lot more than that busted ass on the challenge and talked like they would like the chance to alter the list.
Let's go people, start cutting. :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Seth, I think it would be a good idea if you emailed or private messaged everyone who finished the AFI challenge, see if they want to participate in this, and tell them what exactly you would like them to do for the revote.

~T

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Here is an early draft of my ON/OFF lists. No real order to them just yet, this is just for some discussion.
Possible adds
Touch of Evil
Halloween
Pinocchio
The Lion King
Night of the Living Dead
Animal Crackers - (in place of Duck Soup)
The General (I haven't seen it yet, but know it's rep)
The Great Escape
Manhattan
Cool Hand Luke (maybe in place of Bonnie and Clyde)
Brazil
Blade Runner
Empire Strikes Back (the best of the OT, come on)
Stalag 17
Notorious
White Heat
Adventures of Robin Hood
Arsenic and Old Lace (over Bringing Up Baby)
The Hustler
Blazing Saddles (this feels like one of the biggest oversights to me)
A Christmas Story (so good it's now a holiday tradition)
The Right Stuff
Spinal Tap
Die Hard
Terminator 2
My first draft of the bottom 30, not in order yet...
(Borderline films first)
Fargo
The Searchers
Forrest Gump
From Here to Eternity
Stagecoach
(my current 25)
Duck Soup
The Apartment
Fantasia
Mutiny on the Bounty
Patton
My Fair Lady
Midnight Cowboy
Amadeus
Treasure of the Sierra Madre
Network
Bringing Up Baby
The French Connection
Giant
The Deer Hunter
Shane
Bonnie and Clyde
Easy Rider
Jazz Singer
African Queen
Dr. Zhivago
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
An American in Paris
The Gold Rush
Birth of a Nation
Yankee Doodle Dandy
I think I will do another post or 2 to talk about specific films in more detail. I definately want to here some thoughts on this before making something permanent. It's a pretty tough call to make on some of these.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Seth, I think it would be a good idea if you emailed or private messaged everyone who finished the AFI challenge, see if they want to participate in this, and tell them what exactly you would like them to do for the revote.
Good idea Thi, I will look into organizing that list, probably by email.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Seth, you missed The General on TCM last Sunday. If anyone hasn't seen Greed, it's showing tonight on TCM.

~T

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
DAMMIT. That shit happens so many times to me.
I constantly check TCM when I'm surfing and look ahead in the guide, yet the films I'm waiting for always elude me.
The only way I ever catch them is by going to the website, finding the play dates and having them emailed to me. :)
Or when someone nicely mentions it here. I'll get my tape for Greed going, another film I hear about but have yet to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks