What's new

HTC Evo 4G for Sprint (1 Viewer)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Exactly. Why version 1.6 is beyond me. I personally think they should hold up releasing it until they can get at least 2.1 on it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I didn't see a free trial version and don't feel like forking over 6-7 dollars for an alternate input method.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I do use Handcent, and by God it wipes the floor with the stock texting program. I actually text more now than ever. But the program I was leery of paying for was SlideIT, not Handcent.

Although this is a Verizon story, I'm sure the Evo has similar usage patterns on Sprint:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/22/droid-x-users-gobbling-up-5x-the-data-of-other-verizon-smartphon/

This, Parker, is the reason why Sprint is charging $10 for the Evo or Epic -- they can call it what they want, but it's their surcharge for high bandwidth users without having to go to tiered pricing and data caps. It's not really a 4G charge at all. The only reason Sprint is able to get away with it is because even with the extra fee, the Sprint plans are cheaper than AT&T and much cheaper than Verizon.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ok, now I understand. I went ahead and paid for SlideIT has Swipe was not available for download from the app Market and the Beta is no longer available from Swipe.

I understand and accept the $10 pricing from Sprint for 4G. To me it is a no brainer. Its when they start putting caps on bandwidth and then toggling down access speeds due to

usage that I start getting a bit miffed. If I can use the 4G network with no restrictions, especially with KC being a 4G spot, then $10 is cheap.

I agree that of all the plans out there Sprint has the best pricing. I wish they would include roll over minutes on plain voice calls though. I find it odd really that they don't limit

data and texting but set pricing around voice usage instead.

I really don't like the fact that with their hot spot that Sprint will charge you .20 a minute for VOIP usage when Verizon doesn't.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Android 2.2 roll out for Evo starting 7/30!

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/29/evo-4gs-android-2-2-update-starts-trickling-out-tomorrow-loads/

This is going to he HUGE. Froyo on Evo could be a game changer. If this update (which includes a bunch of HTC updates for drivers and Sense UI) significantly increases battery life and improves video recording, it will be the best smartphone on the market. No contest.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Froyo update news update:

2.2 will officially be releasing starting Monday, but impatient owners who can't wait can initiate the update manually at 12am CST. I'm thinking of waiting up and doing the upgrade!

The link in the above post also has the official Sprint press release.

BTW, there's some funny language in the press release -- they are claiming that the Evo is the first to have a carrier version of 2.2, I assume because the Nexus One 2.2 update was not a TMobile update.

EDIT: It's actually 12PM CST. So it looks like a Froyo weekend for me.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I finally got a call from Best Buy telling me that they got a EVO in. So I went and picked it up. I decided it was best that I buy it now and the Epic 4G is probably going to be another couple of months before Sprint has them in stock. Then I noticed that the Froyo upgrade for the EVO was being made available for download. So I downloaded the update to come back home with my phone to read that HTC had removed the update stating it wasn't supposed to be made available to the general public. So I will be waiting on that unit it get released on Monday or there abouts.

So far I am loving the phone. I can't believe the speed at which everything works on it.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
You're still probably in the free and clear if you want to exchange for the Epic later this month. But it's good that you are able to try out one of the phones you're looking at.

If there's one tip for anyone using the Evo that I'd share, it's that you should calibrate your keyboard. I didn't for the first week and then stumbled onto this setting accidentally. It really made a huge difference. Before the calibration, I couldn't type double letters because the keyboard was not keeping up with me. Now it's no longer an issue. It's in Settings, Lang & Keyboard, Touch Input, Text Input, and then scroll down to Calibration Tool. It probably won't replace your swipe keyboard for you, but it really helps the stock keyboard.

The froyo update is still scheduled for a Tuesday roll out, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It looks like the manual update won't be available until then either -- judging by the number of users complaining about the leaked 2.2 build, I'm guessing it wasn't a final build and we'll see what the real build brings tomorrow. The nightmare scenario is that it was a final build, they read about the issues with cameras not working and flash not working, and they pulled it to ensure greater compatibility. In which case, it could delay the roll out altogether.

I spent most of Sunday reading sci-fi short stories from Feedbooks. I actually dying to get my wife something like the Evo that's wifi only so she can read her books this way. If it plays games and surfs the net, all the better. The Augen Gentouch that was released in KMart this weekend is apparently not worth its $149 price tag -- from all reports, the screen is supposed to be resistive, but it's more like resistant, basically requiring the stylus to register any touch commands. And the consensus was that the speed was breathtaking...ly awful. All screen transitions lagged terribly, and the slowness made the unit barely functional. And for all the noise about being compatible with the Android Market (which was the feature that really piqued my interest), many of the programs refused to install. So there's goes that option.

I am starting my third week with the Evo, and the honeymoon period isn't over yet. My Touch Pro 2 did Google Maps, but I used the turn by turn navigation on the Evo going to a bbq this Saturday, and lemme tell you, it was pretty awesome. I even had music playing at the time, and the program seamlessly transitioned between the music and the turn by turn directions. Oh, and the way I got the directions was so slick I actually yelled, "oh my God!" (my wife thought I had hurt myself). I opened my friend's email, clicked on the Evite link, which automatically opened the browser and loaded in seconds, and was going to copy and paste the address into Google maps when it automatically just asked me if I wanted to map the address. There's a lot of great seamless application linking all over Android, and if they can expand on this kind of integration, the blurring of lines between programs and OS will turn all functions like this into one step procedures. Imagine if the OS loaded the Evite link in the background and scraped the address so that tapping the link gave you the map option automatically. That would be amazing.

I took a bunch of pics and vids at the aforementioned BBQ, and while the pictures aren't quite at the level of my Canon point and shoot (and to be honest, the lack of optical zoom will always make cell phone cameras second class), they're close enough for me to stick with just the phone for now, mostly because the Canon got wet last year and developed a problem where it drains the battery so quickly we have to have two batteries and religiously charge them. It's just easier for me to carry the Evo. The much maligned video on the Evo is still way better than my SD Flip, so that's a no brainer. There are many comments that the photos are much improved with froyo, so that will make my decision even easier. I'll save up to buy a replacement P&S when the time comes.

And after using Wyse Pocket Cloud for RDP for two weeks, I can safely say that it blows the native Winmo RDP app clear out of the water. It's faster, both over wifi and 3G. It's more stable, where the winmo RDP would disconnect periodically as I was using it. And it doesn't do the maddening thing winmo RDP would do where it would almost finish loading the screen and then decide to reload from scratch, and then, sometimes, for good measure, it would do it again. I would curse at the phone all the time. Pocket Cloud has never done this, and even through a 3G connection, the remote session is very smooth and snappy. Plus, the ability to run a 800 X 600 RDP session scaled down to fit the screen is fantastic. You never have to zoom in, which is why I don't even care that Pocket Cloud doesn't support multi-touch -- I would never use it anyway. Now, supporting widescreen resolutions like 1280 X 720? That I would love.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Official froyo OTA update is now available! I updated mine earlier tonight and I'm playing around with it right now. The flash implementation is fantastic -- all flash videos and ads have a green arrow that appears in a box, and it won't download the flash unless you click on the arrow. I watched a video on ew.com in full screen with zero hitches over WiFi. Speaking of which, WiFi antenna is much stronger, and I am now getting 5mbps down and 7mbps down which smokes my earlier speed tests. I also have greater range. I'll find out how the battery performs tomorrow as I will be in NYC all day.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Fill me in for sure. I am postponing my update until the official release is rooted. The beta 2.2 has some quirks I was not happy in dealing with.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
On the whole, the 2.2 release has been positive. The biggest things are the improved radios all around. The wifi is not only much faster, it's a stronger signal that I can get further away from the router. Most importantly, the wifi doesn't drop out periodically, requiring a reset of the wifi service. If I left the phone to charge overnight, I was greeted in the morning with "unable to sync" messages from my email program due to the drop out. I had thought this was a router problem, but I never had to reset wifi last night, and this morning, for the first time, all my emails were up to date when I unplugged the phone. 3G has one more bar at home, and cell service is a bit better in my NYC office (my desk is in a bad reception area, and the calls are less crackly than before so I don't have to pop out into the hallway like I usually do). I have no firsthand experience with 4G, but someone was reporting 11mpbs down after the update. This is the part that makes it worth it for me.

The browser loads pages even faster, and not only is there full flash support, you can choose if you want to pre-load flash or load placeholders and click to load the flash on demand. I really like this feature since the stuff I want to see requires me to request it anyway, and the ads and such are effectively blocked. Since I browse a lot, this is also a big plus.

The stock keyboard is now multitouch capable, which means more accurate typing, especially if you're a fast typist. If you didn't have your finger off one key before hitting the other, it wouldn't register. I can type pretty fast now in portrait mode using the new keyboard and word completion. Probably as fast as I did with the Touch Pro 2 slider.

On the down side, it hosed my playlists. They're all blank when I view them in Meridian and MixZing, although the last playlist I was shuffling through before the update is still working, so I don't know if they're actually gone or if I have to uninstall and reinstall both players (that seems to be the universal solution to program glitchiness).

On the disappointing side, it doesn't seem to have done much to extend battery life, but I will have to have a few more days to determine if the update had any effect. One thing is, if you turned off background synching and Sprint Zone notifications, they turn back on with the update (stocks too). So if you turned those off beforehand, definitely go back in a turn them off again.

I haven't tried the camera and video, but there is H264 recording now, but the max res is 800 X 480. It is presumed that the reason there is no 720p H264 recording is that the stock player can't play it back.

Before you update, uninstall any LED flashlight program. They interfere with the camera functions. Also uninstall Droid X keyboard and Swype. Swype can be reinstalled, but the Droid X keyboard is toast.

All in all, it's not blowing my mind, but froyo is an upgrade for me. If the camera is as improved as some people are saying, then even better.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Also, if you have Flash 10.1 installed before the update, uninstall it before applying the OTA.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I shot a short 720p video in my front yard.

I like the looks of the images.

Also, picked up the Seido Innocell 3500 mHa Extended Battery for the phone. So far so good. I have had the phone on and running for 48 hours with no extra charging done and still have about 48% on the battery. And is with all my notifications on, 4G enabled, Wifi and everything running in the background no problem.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

The flash implementation is fantastic -- all

Can expand on the Flash experience? I take it this is Adobe's newest, "true" Flash for mobile systems? How is its video performance compared to straight HTML5-video (as used when Flash is unavailable)? Is this mobile Flash stable? Not a battery hog? (My recent experience is Flash on OS X which is a sub-par experience.)

What about games? Do all those Flash game sites -- always used as the argument in favor of mobile Flash -- work now?

If real mobile Flash is out, the experiment begins on whether people want it, use it, expect it on handhelds.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The best part of Flash is that I can play any flash video on any site. It is quite stable, and with a good connection (and depending on the site) it's very smooth. I watched videos on Cracked.com and espn without a hitch, and they load much, much faster now. Actually, the youtube videos in the application start almost instantaneously now when I'm on wifi, both regular and HQ. They're just much smoother overall, without any hiccups and stuttering. Someone in another forum mentioned they watched an entire UFC match on justin.tv at a bar. When you have a good signal, it's pretty sweet.

Ah, but the games... I can load the flash games, but here's the catch -- without a keyboard, I can't access the controls. And there is no way I know of to force the keyboard to come up. I presume that if you have a physical keyboard you will be able to play these games, but that would require the Epic 4G with the 2.2 upgrade to tell for sure.

There's another flash gap that was pointed out that is also related to the lack of a keyboard -- if you go to a site that is all flash and has a form on it, you can't fill in any of the fields because, again, the keyboard won't come up. They will have to tweak the OS so that the keyboard understands that flash sites might require text input of at least a way to force the keyboard to come up even if the OS isn't triggering it.

I haven't really noticed the battery difference -- I've become very zen about my battery -- when I'm really just pounding the phone non-stop (which I will do at home) it lasts about 4 hours, which is about how long it takes for the backup battery to fully charge. So I'm never not without power, and I've gotten so used to popping off the back and swapping out the battery that's it's no longer even an inconvenience, especially since I can use my phone literally all day long on the weekends without it going out of commission in order to charge. Yes, my wife is not real happy about it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Re: battery. On my MacBook Pro, I can watch the battery drain much more rapidly when Flash video is playing than when not. I didn't know if Mobile Flash caused such obvious problems. Apparently not.

Curious about the Games. The biggest argument for Flash I've heard is all about the games (a million zillion free games to be played if only there was flash on the mobile device). But it turns out that with touchscreen Flash, they still aren't usable. That's a bit ironic. :) Perhaps that will change in short order.

I've only been hindered from seeing a couple of silly videos by not having Flash on my iPhone. Most video links go through YouTube which caters to the iPhone, and it's not a practical problem for me. I'm not a heavy online video-watcher, so I'm not the core audience for mobile Flash.

Previously, a strong argument for no Flash on the iPhone was that there was no decent mobile Flash anyway, so what's the hubbub. Or more simply, 'put up or shut up.' Not that Adobe's got a real mobile Flash going on first-class smartphones, we can see how useful and important this is for people. And does the iPhone suffer in any practical way for not having Flash.

The other thing to watch for will be apps for Android built on Flash. And are they better or worse than other apps? Do they move developers away from whatever the core Android dev tools to being locked into Adobe's kit. Because that's what Apple fears. So now the experiment can run. :)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Originally Posted by DaveF

I've only been hindered from seeing a couple of silly videos by not having Flash on my iPhone. Most video links go through YouTube which caters to the iPhone, and it's not a practical problem for me. I'm not a heavy online video-watcher, so I'm not the core audience for mobile Flash.
Chicken and egg perhaps? I'm probably not going to become addicted to online videos any time soon, but I'm more willing to watch the videos since I can. The iPhone vs Evo one always gets a huge laugh. YouTube is a gosh darned mess. Absolutely none of the videos featured on the front page of the app have any appeal to me. I'd probably drift to the videos features in the sites I go to instead of what's popular on YouTube at any given time. So that's where having flash is a leg up versus relying on the youtube app.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I rarely go to YouTube just to browse. Rather, anyone posting a video posts it to YouTube; anyone linking to a video links to YouTube. Most of the time, if there's a video worth seeing it's on YouTube. At least when it comes to the FaceBook and email links that comprise most of the videos I watch online. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.