What's new

HT subwoofer (1 Viewer)

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Robert_J said:
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/pb12-nsd/pb12-nsd-introductionThat is the driver built in-house by SVS. If I'm not mistaken it was designed by Stephen Ponte after leaving TC Sounds for SVS. You can always ask the V in SVS since he posted above.
Just going by memory here( I left svs in 07, Jim a few months later, and Stephen shortly after Jim) but IIRC we didn't build the NSD series in house. That driver in the link doesn't look familiar at least. Also, a bump in the back plate is usually for coil clearance(not shorting ring/caps).

Tom V.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Robert_J said:
As for DSP, I use it. No matter how accurate your sub is, there will be room interaction
I agree with much of your post, i would first try moving the subwoofer as sometimes moving it just an inch cures major problems, i have a Velodyne SMS-1 for my SVS PB-12 Plus 2 subwoofer and use an SPL meter and like to get the audio correct.

I think Tom who has posted here was at SVS when i bought mine.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
I agree with much of your post, i would first try moving the subwoofer as sometimes moving it just an inch cures major problems, i have a Velodyne SMS-1 for my SVS PB-12 Plus 2 subwoofer and use an SPL meter and like to get the audio correct.

I think Tom who has posted here was at SVS when i bought mine.
I left in 4th quarter 2007 --- just a *FYI*.

Tom V.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tom Vodhanel said:
I left in 4th quarter 2007 --- just a *FYI*.

Tom V.
Yeah i bought mine in 2004/2005ish, not sure the exact dates, probably 2004 since i moved house in April of 2005 and i know i was at the other house when i purchased it, i swapped a few emails with SVS before buying it.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
would a Radioshack freq/SPL meter using an in line graphic EQ or perhaps the Audessey in-room EQ would help with setting up my subwoofer?

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Tom Vodhanel said:
Just going by memory here( I left svs in 07, Jim a few months later, and Stephen shortly after Jim) but IIRC we didn't build the NSD series in house. That driver in the link doesn't look familiar at least. Also, a bump in the back plate is usually for coil clearance(not shorting ring/caps).

Tom V.
Any idea what the group delay is for the PB12-nsd? I think its going to be a close candidate for a new HT subwoofer. I really appreciate the ML dynamo 1000 for reaching down to 24hz in a sealed enclosure but Im not quite ready to spend $1000. when I can get a PB12-nsd that digs deeper with no reported port noise.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Yeah i bought mine in 2004/2005ish, not sure the exact dates, probably 2004 since i moved house in April of 2005 and i know i was at the other house when i purchased it, i swapped a few emails with SVS before buying it.
IIRC we discontinued all the ***/2 models before I left. (nsd/2, plus/2, ultra/2....I might be mistaken though. Good subs, they offered very good value if you could fit the larger enclosure into the room..:)

btw, I have no idea what the first two quotes are in your signature. Is the third from the original "The Thing"?

Tom V.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Relic1Golf said:
would a Radioshack freq/SPL meter using an in line graphic EQ or perhaps the Audessey in-room EQ would help with setting up my subwoofer?
Audyssey will use its own mic. The SPL meter could be used to verify Audyssey got the calibration correct though. If you are going to try manually EQing the bass response you will need some way to measure the FR. You can do that with a SPL meter and test tones. But if you have a notebook or laptop you should consider a free(or inexpensive) measurement program. REW(free) for example.

Tom V.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Relic1Golf said:
Any idea what the group delay is for the PB12-nsd? I think its going to be a close candidate for a new HT subwoofer. I really appreciate the ML dynamo 1000 for reaching down to 24hz in a sealed enclosure but Im not quite ready to spend $1000. when I can get a PB12-nsd that digs deeper with no reported port noise.
The PB12nsd was measured by Josh Ricci. You can find all the data (including group delay) here www.data-bass.com
Tom V.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Tom Vodhanel said:
IIRC we discontinued all the ***/2 models before I left. (nsd/2, plus/2, ultra/2....I might be mistaken though. Good subs, they offered very good value if you could fit the larger enclosure into the room.. :)

btw, I have no idea what the first two quotes are in your signature. Is the third from the original "The Thing"?

Tom V.
Excellent subwoofers, i think the drivers were updated, mine has 2.2, i think you did a final revision to 2.3 but i'm happy with the subwoofer, it can be driven very hard and loud without much noticeable distortion and produces great quality bass.

The first movie quote is from Spartacus, the second is from An American Werewolf in London and you are correct with the third.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
Tom Vodhanel said:
Audyssey will use its own mic. The SPL meter could be used to verify Audyssey got the calibration correct though. If you are going to try manually EQing the bass response you will need some way to measure the FR. You can do that with a SPL meter and test tones. But if you have a notebook or laptop you should consider a free(or inexpensive) measurement program. REW(free) for example.

Tom V.
thank you much, I have a Kindle Fire HD at home, I could probably find an app through the play store. theres a few programs I found for my laptop but they were close to $200 depending where you look. I think it would def help with my DIY projects too.

As far as the group delay. 60ms at 30hz, yikes. as the review said you probably wouldnt hear the difference in a normal listening environment so we'll have to see. I would assume its so high b/c the subwoofer is tuned all way down to 20hz. the best quote Ive heard/read is theres no such thing as a free lunch or something like that.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
Excellent subwoofers, i think the drivers were updated, mine has 2.2, i think you did a final revision to 2.3 but i'm happy with the subwoofer, it can be driven very hard and loud without much noticeable distortion and produces great quality bass.

The first movie quote is from Spartacus, the second is from An American Werewolf in London and you are correct with the third.
I should have gotten all 3. I'm slipping.

Tom V.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Relic1Golf said:
thank you much, I have a Kindle Fire HD at home, I could probably find an app through the play store. theres a few programs I found for my laptop but they were close to $200 depending where you look. I think it would def help with my DIY projects too.

As far as the group delay. 60ms at 30hz, yikes. as the review said you probably wouldnt hear the difference in a normal listening environment so we'll have to see. I would assume its so high b/c the subwoofer is tuned all way down to 20hz. the best quote Ive heard/read is theres no such thing as a free lunch or something like that.

REW is free although you should verify you have a decent soundcard in he laptop and you'll need a microphone too(usually $75-100). If you will be DIYing this will be some of the 'best spent" money I can think of. As they say, "without measurements you are just guessing".

The tuning point of the subwoofer enclosure won't be much of a factor except incidentally to other design considerations. Often the biggest contributor to poor group delay measurements is electrical filtering that produces a sharp "knee" in the FR at the bottom end.

Tom V.

Relic1Golf

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jed
ahh, that makes sense. the software I was looking at included a mic so that makes up the difference in price. I noticed group delay and FR response was quite smooth. that must be some of that DSP black magic thats spoke about so often, I tell ya its the work of the Devil. praise Jesus and bring me back my trusted A/B power as it is written in the good book.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here's a quick tutorial. I'm missing out on the sound card but I found one for $30. Based on Amazon comments the UCA222 and UCA202 are the same equipment but the 202 has a smaller software package for a few dollars less.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks