What's new

HT subwoofer rattle (1 Viewer)

gduncan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
I just purchased a Philips DVD Home Theater System HTS3544/37, I've only had it for one day and the subwoofer is rattling. I ran a test on it playing a sound that runs from 100hz down to 15hz and the closer it got to 15hz the more it rattled. I know if it is the sub that is rattling and not something in the wall or around the sub. It is s a passive 8" high efficiency 8 ohnm sub.

Any suggestions on what might be the problem and how I might go about fixing it?

I tried to post a link to the HT System via the Philips website but this is my first post. If you google the model you should be able to find it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Since it is a passive sub, it can only be the 8" driver, the cabinet or the wire inside the cabinet causing the vibration. You need to eliminate them one by one. For the driver, remove it from the cabinet and play your test tone through it at a low volume. For the wire, secure it inside the cabinet with glue or duct (duck) tape. You can also wrap it in foam. For the cabinet, tap on each side and listen for rattles. Is it small enough to pick up and shake? Shake it. If none of these are your issue, it may be the driver/cabinet connection. Use closed cell foam weatherstripping to seal the driver to the sub cabinet.

This is a long shot but how loud were you playing the test tone? A 15hz tone at high volume can be brutal on a HTiB sub. You may be pushing your sub to its mechanical limits. If you do that too much, you will destroy the driver and may take the sub amp with it.

-Robert

gduncan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
The test tone was played at pretty low volume. The volume goes up to about 30 and I had it no higher than 12-15. This is a newb question but what is the 8'' driver?

gduncan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
I'm having trouble opening the casing up. I was only able to find two screws and I don't really want to force/pry it open. When I shake it nothing rattles so I'm assuming its not the wire.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There is probably not much if anything you can do. I am guessing it is a plastic housing, and it is most likely just going to rattle. Also, those types of housings tend to lock together with plastic tabs in the inside to make them easy to assemble, but tricky to open.

gduncan27

Auditioning
Real Name
Grant
I've been just kind of playing around with it when I squeeze the two sides together the rattling stops so I'm guessing it's just the casing. I just need to figure out how to tighten the casing and get it to stay

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Here is a picture of a raw driver - link. The sub is the entire system consisting of the driver and enclosure. In most cases, the sub also includes a built in amp. A driver can be anything from a 10mm tweeter to a 18" sub that weighs 80 pounds.

-Robert

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A couple very large rubber bands may be all you need.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Crazy glue? A well-positioned sheet metal screw? Lay the sub on its side and put a concrete block on top? A really big C-clamp and a piece of carpet?

whatever works... :)

Vin_G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Vince
Can you open the cabinet by chance? If so you may be able to add a small, diagonal brace or two to reinforce.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
Maybe the expandable foam they use to deaden car interiors or fill holes in concrete? It won't be very pretty but you could sand it down and paint over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks