What's new

HT receiever will not stay on. Please help. (1 Viewer)

Clint B

Second Unit
Hi, folks. I've got a Yamaha RX-V596 5.1 receiver...it's about 3 years old. I went to fire it and a CD up earlier today and some problems ensued. At first the CD played, but I noticed I had little to no bass coming out. I then figured that someone didn't hook up the subwoofer correctly, which is vital for me because I have a sub/sat system. Anyway, I went to hook up the subwoofer, but stupidly I didn't turn off the power to anything. While it seemed like everything hooked up just fine, now when I turn on my reciever it will stay on for about 2 seconds and then automatically shut off.

I've tried unplugging and replugging power cords and the subwoofer cable, and I tried shutting off the surge protector and then turning it back on after about 30 seconds. Nothing is working. There were no weird noises, the receiver wasn't hot, and there was no smoke billowing, so I'm not sure what it could be (maybe a fuse, but I don't know).

Does anyone have a suggestion on what this might be and what it may take to fix it? I know a bit about this stuff, but not too much, so please try not to be too technical in your reply. Thanks for any help you can give.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Check all the speaker wire connections. It's possible there's a strand shorting out somewhere and causing the receiver to shut off to protect itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks