What's new

HT projector help. (1 Viewer)

blue02ws6

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I think I am going to replace my JVC 70" rear projection with a Black Diamond II 110" screen. My question is about a projector, The screen I am thinking about going with is .8 gain so it doesn't get washed out with the ambient light I have in my room but I need to throw the image about 21' and the gain is low on that screen so I think I will need to have at least a 1600 lumens projector and maybe more to have a nice bright picture with some light in the room and from the distance I need to throw. I would like to have a 1080p resolution but I haven't even looked at projectors in forever and there are so damnn many choices now a days. Anyone have any recommendations?

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Put a hold on that screen until you decide on a projector. What is your budget JUST for projector? Do you want LCD, DLP or LCOS? Do you want to ceiling mount it or put it on a shelf? If you shelf mount it, you'll need one with lens shift. What is your ceiling height? How far from screen will you mount projector? All these things need to be known before you can choose a projector. Go to Projectorcentral.com and click on "Feature Search". Then enter your criteria, and it will show you which projectors will work for you.

blue02ws6

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I don't know which type I want, dlp/lcd/lcos. I wanted that screen because I have some ambient light in the room during the day and it supposed to be the best in these situations, supposedly. I want to mount it to a wall, not ceiling and not a shelf but on the front of the wall, hopefully there is a bracket for this, it would be about 10' off the floor and the distance fromt he lens to the screen would be about 18' after I measured it.

I need something bright enough for some ambient light.
100' screen at a distance of 18'
1080p resolution

this is the basics.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
That won't work. The image size would be between 101" - 182" diagonal, with a 18' throw. Why are you limiting yourself to a 100" screen? What will your seating distance be?

blue02ws6

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeremy
I was only going with a 100" because that would take up a good bit of the wall, I could go 110 or a little bigger but I read that the picture is not as good the larger you go, that could be BS though... What size screen would be good for a 18' throw? Then I would have to have a projector that would be up to the task also though.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Your screen size is determined by your seating distance. You didn't answer that. The rule of thumb with an HD projector, is to sit back 1.5 X your screen width. EX: 8' wide screen = 12' seating distance.

Originally Posted by blue02ws6

I was only going with a 100" because that would take up a good bit of the wall, I could go 110 or a little bigger but I read that the picture is not as good the larger you go, that could be BS though... What size screen would be good for a 18' throw? Then I would have to have a projector that would be up to the task also though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks