What's new

HT Power Issue (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
OK, so my HT isn't the greatest, but I need a little help. I have a small refrigerator in the same room as my HT. When the fridge's cycle ends, I get a small flicker on my screen. I have the TV (and the rest of the HT) plugged into a surge protector. Is there anything I could route the HT through to remove this regularly-occurring flicker? I was thinking a UPS, but not sure if that would work.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
A UPS will not do anything and neither will a surge protector. In fact, the best thing to do is try to find if there is another outlet in the room on a different circuit. If the room was wired properly, there should be. Then plug the refrigerator into that outlet instead, using an extension cord if you need to. If the TV is a CRT, not a flat panel, and the refrigerator is sitting close to it, that also might be the cause, since the refrigerator creates a very strong magnetic fluctuation when it turns on or shuts off.

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
John, your suggestion will be taken. But something still doesn't seem right. I also have a computer monitor plugged into the same surge protector that the TV is plugged into. It doesn't suffer the flicker issue that the TV does. Any ideas?

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Are the computer monitor and the TV both of the same type (both CRT, both LCD?) If not, they will react differently. You really should list the make and model of all of your equipment so that we have some basis for figuring out your problem.

Regards,

Joe

Real Name
Shawn Lilianstrom
Sorry about that Joseph. both displays are LCDs. the computer monitor is an Asus VH202T-P, and the tv is a Toshiba 32AV502U.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Hmmm... both LCDs, eh?

I also have a computer monitor plugged into the same surge protector that the TV is plugged into. It doesn't suffer the flicker issue that the TV does. Any ideas?

Try swapping the outlets on the surge protector that they are plugged into. Could be something as simple as an SP problem.

Regards,

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks