What's new

HT Pictures - Updated Front Projection - CRT (1 Viewer)

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
The pictures are not the best, and I will add more when I get a little more time. just added a couple of THX (tex) screen shots.
The image size of the projector is 96" diagonal.
Fornt projectors are not easy to set up, but this one is not too bad, I didn't even have a manual. the folks over at the AVS forum were most helpful.
http://www.geocities.com/d_cowmeadow/theater.html

Eric Gan

Agent
Hi Bill,

Awesome setup. I love it everytime I see HT's on a budget. Your setup really reminds me of my own....and you paid even less for the projector!

If I may suggest something....have you thought of putting a black border around the screen? I find it makes a big impact by framing the image. I made mine out of MDF molding from Home Depot for ~50 cents/ft.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

Eric

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
Finally let me in!Very nice!I keep hoping I can come accross an fp for that kind of cash,I just dont know where to look...

Whats that screen shot from?

Kevin Coleman

Second Unit
Very nice Bill. I am glad to finally see your Barco.
I would still like to get together sometime to compare our amateur CRT setups. The guys on AVS also helped me a ton. It would also be interesting to compare our homemade screens.
Kevin C. :)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I like it. I especially like the way you have the dvds and equipment in that shelf system. Looks good. :emoji_thumbsup:
Jon

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Don't fret about image quality yet. It takes practice to get the techniques down and build ones skills. Keep asking for and looking for hints at the AVS forum. (Sorry, but that forum IS a more knowledgable source for CRT front projection topics) Your projector will get better and better as you learn and redo the setup. It's a lot of patient work, but very satisfying.

In terms of keeping things in perspective, it takes me 12 to 16 hours of pretty continuous work to fully tune in a projector. That's knowing what you are doing and not doing it the first time.

Bill Cowmeadow

Second Unit
Eric, I plan on putting a black drop cloth accross the entire wall with the sreen, I just haven't got around to it.
Chad, to find the real bargains, go here. http://www.surplusbid.com/index.cfm
The screen shot was from 'Exit Wounds'
Guy, could you tell me of a setup dvd with a very fine grid lines for setting convergence. The built in grids of the barco have pretty thick lines, and it's hard to be precise.
I would like to project the fine lines after I do the best alignment I can and then use the grid to see just how close I am.
Thanks for the comments.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Wait to Jan and pick up Sound & Vision's Home Theater Tuneup. The bonus video pattern section has exactly what you want, a very fine (single pixel) convergence grid and also a finer detail focus pattern than previously available. People have commented that the patterns in AVIA are fine, but the one in HTT is twice as fine as in AVIA.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks