What's new

HT Meet in Toronto? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Add Eric Strong to the list. He's a buddy of mine and an HT newbie.
We should start a list of dvd's we would like to demo.
I also have the Avia ht set up disc so we could do a demonstration of a system calibration.
My buddy Eric would also be able to set up a web site with pics from the meet that we could display for HTF.
I'm really looking forward to this.
If you need any more help email me ([email protected])...I check it every day and would love to help set up anything.
------------------
Oops...I dropped my eardrums
could you pick them up for
me

Kevin Royal

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Guys!
I'm interested, as is a friend of mine, though we're not sure if we'll be able to make it just yet. I'd say 50/50 at best. I'm really into the DVD side of things with over 100 DVD's, and my buddy is more of a home theater fan(because his parents'll fork over the dough!)
That said, we are young guys, both 16 (Just got our G1's). Let me know if our age'll be a problem, we're both mature responsible guys so no worries there. Getting rides shouldn't be a problem either.
Please keep me updated via email with any developments.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Thanks for mentioning the Avia disk Ryan. I have that as well as the Radio Shack Sound Meter.
We could compare techniques on how we all calibrated our own systems.

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I definitely think Star Wars: The Phantom Menace is great thing to watch. I haven't seen it since it was in the theater and would love to watch it...if not the whole thing, just the race scene. That scene blew me away. I also haven't seen laser discs in a while and would like to see how they compare to dvd, maybe, Braveheart and T2...if someone have them, I have the dvd's.
I'm gonna email Paradigm and see what they say about a tour. They can probably give me some info on what there stance is on giving tours.
Peace out.
------------------
me

Joel Cohen

Auditioning
Hi guys.....
Allow me to introduce myself. Other than the obvious - that my name is Joel Cohen - I am a fellow home theater enthusiast located in Toronto.
I heard about this get meeting on a US based forum which I regularly monitor and contribute to. I have attended many meetings in the US and would love to have some in Toronto.
That said, I was wondering whether you have room for one more. By reading the posts I will clearly be one of the "senior citizens" at age 36. I would also be willing to give a few people lifts.
In terms of my contribution -- I can bring any of my 100 DVDs or pick up any that are of particular interest.
Please let me know.
Later,
Joel

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Within reason I think we have a full house, and if interest continues this way a regular event could be had.
Depending on places to hold it of course..
We could even plan it around a BIG opening weekend and go to the theatres downtown that have concierge service....we could have a viewing just for us.....
AGE is NEVER a problem, just a sincere interest in home theater!!
I'll email Paradigm and Energy in the morning..
Brent L
------------------
Closing in quickly on 2000:)...Posts that is :)
{ well not quite as quick now:)

Miles_W

Second Unit
Okay so let me see now, I think that we should probably call it a full house so the names that I put in this email will be it for now ( my home theatre room is big but some of us will be sitting on the floor / kitchen chairs :) )
As for the time frame... not really a problem we can adjust it according to what the finalized agenda is! The only rule in my HT that I insist upon is no consumables... ( or if we do have pop corn make sure it lands in your mouth!)
Perhaps we can skip the Factory tour until we are holding a meeting more out in that direction... plus it may have to be something that occurs during a week day. I wonder if they are open on week ends!
We can order out for lunch / supper depending upon timing...
I think that the Calibration idea is cool but as I mentioned previously the Tv I have isn't great so It probably needs a good tweaking. We can also try the bass challenge ( it was not something that I particularily wanted to try alone...)
I guess that means that Ryan you should bring your avia, I too have the RS SPL meter so we don't need another (unless you want to have 2 to confirm...)
I do have a pioneer CLD 704 LD player but it would be great Lou if you could bring your demod! ( save me the hassle of disconnecting my sony 9es...)
Favourite scenes on a DVD is good idea, Lets copmpose the list now so we can determine if I have the DVD already.
The TPM on ld would be great...
Deals on "B" stock PSB and Paradigm can probably be arranged... again I want to gauge the seriousness, I'm not going to pursue it if there isn't some serious interest ( the paradigms are pretty easy to arrange I have a pretty good relation ship with a deal!) the PSB's was a pretty new idea.
ok the confirmed names are... ( the envelope please)
Andrew R ( Andy_vx)
Ryan Peddle
Lou Stysma
Craig A
Elliott Willschick
David Ely (*)
Norm Lalonde
Walter Feddern
Brent L
Massimo Nigro
Eric Strong
Kevin Royal and Friend
Joel Cohen
If I have emailed some one else and you haven't responded please do I think that we are at around 14/15 and that is a pretty good size!
that's it for now ( we do however need to arrange lifts/transit...)
Miles

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
AS it pertains to b stock speakers. I need a new center channel. I would preffer a sheilded paradigm mini monitor, but a cc350, or 370 or an LCR 350 would do just fine.
Eric Strong is looking for a brand new Paradigm set up from top to bottom.
So there is definite interest in these speakers.
------------------
me

Massimo N

Stunt Coordinator
If anyone has any cool remotes (Pronto, R2000), I'd be interested in seeing them and how you program/customize them. For those that are interested, I can show anyone how to program the Radio Shack 1994 remote. It does a lot more than manual says (I've programmed it to operate all commands of 4 remotes including the Yamaha RXV-995 remote).
I have an SVS sub on order (I ordered 20-39PC Jan. 2nd). If all the planets are aligned I might receive it before the meet. A guy can hope can't he? I can bring it if anyone's interested and if it arrives in time.
Mass

Miles_W

Second Unit
Massimo I have both the original Pronto and the original RC 2000... as for the SVS subwoofer wow if it arrived in Time that would be awesome!! Yes bring it on...
Miles

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been around in the last few days. Been quite sick
frown.gif

Hmm, looks like the meet has really taken shape since I last was online. That's great.
As for my favourite scene on a DVD, I would really like to watch the Ice Field scene on Titan A.E. The reason is, my audio setup is not yet complete (no sub yet), and I know that I was missing a lot of LFE on my current setup.
Plus, I thought the scene just looked cool :)
Miles, if you don't have the disc, I will bring it. (so long as no one has any objections to watching that scene)
Just so that you know, I am not looking for any PSB speakers.
TTYL
Andrew
P.s. Hmmm, am I the youngest out of the bunch of us? (19)
Oh well, I hope no one minds!
biggrin.gif

------------------
My Growing DVD Collection
ICQ# 69241437

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
Hey andy...don't worry. Eric and I are both only 22. Eric is a growing HT enthusiast and I have been for years and am now taking Electronic Engineering here at Durham College.
I don't consider myself 22 though...I am a total kid at heart. Plus when it comes to HT I don't think age is an issue. Sure some of us might know more than other but that makes for a great learning experience.
As for the remotes. I'd love to see the pronto, although it is way out of this college student price range, I can dream too.
I'd like to see the Radio shack remote as well. That one is in my price range and am in dire need of an all-in-one remote since the one that comes with my Yammy 595a is horrible.
This is really shaping up to be a great event, I'm glad it finally took place. Thanks guys.
------------------
me

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Oh, I seemed to have missed that... The remotes idea is great! I'm going to need one soon enough, better to see how they work now, before I take the plunge. :)
Andrew
------------------
My Growing DVD Collection
ICQ# 69241437

Craig A

Stunt Coordinator
I can bring my Pronto too. It would be interesting to see how differently they can be configured.
I don't know what kind of audio equipment Miles_W has. If you guys were interested, (and if I got a ride :) ) I'd be willing to unhook my McIntosh MC7106 amplifier and bring it along. If Miles has a receiver with pre-outs, it might be interesting to compare the sound before and after...
Oh yeah, and The Haunting (DTS). I just watched it. Not a great movie, but some incredible bass demo stuff in there.
------------------
"This is never going to end, is it?"
-My girlfriend, her first words upon seeing my new Amp and realizing the full extent of my HT addiction.

Miles_W

Second Unit
I have Titan AE so no worries... I am sort of hoping that I have most of the source material people want to see ( except some of those LD's that I refuse to fork over extra money for!
Craig I would love to hear your amp... ( isn't it kind of heavy though!!!) I am running a pre-pro so no worries if you want to bring it along... As to the equipment I am running I'd rather keep it a surprise..
Miles
ps... All this age stufff. I know for a fact as an old fart of 38 I'm still a kid at heart especially when it comes to toys!
edit
Craig I do not have the Haunting DTS dvd so bring her along!

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Miles you've definitely got me curious as to what you are running!!
Let's see - you have a LD player, a pre/pro setup hmmm this could be good.
I can cover off certain LD requests - I have several DTS LDs as well as the SW-SE and the Prologic ie original versions.
The remote idea is great - I'm currently running with about 5 remotes and the Yamaha is a pig to use and program.
Any interest in some music DVD's - Clapton, Fogerty, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Orbison - you know old fogey stuff? Sorry no Metallica et al in my collection.
As far as speakers go I'm running Paradigms all around - currently have the CC350 for the centre. Wouldn't mind moving up to the Reference version.

Miles_W

Second Unit
Ok for music DVD's I have the obligatory HFO dts, Fleetwood Mac The Dance, on LD I have some Janet Jackson and the Madonna Immaculate Collection ( Both Pro-logic)
Hey we didn't even discuss 2 channel stuff... Lots but since my taste is pretty bizarre you had better bring your own stuff...
Miles

Miles_W

Second Unit
Oh I just though of something else... Is there anyone with a non-pioneer DVD player that they would be willing to bring along... I have an experiment I would like to carry out...
Thanks
Miles

Ryan Peddle

Second Unit
I have a great Proscan that has a superb 4:3 downconversion. I have no prob bring it along. What did ya have in mind?
------------------
me

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks