What's new

HT make over (1 Viewer)

foldog22

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Foley
Hello All,

Looking for some advice on replacing my current system. I currently have the following setup

Panasonic 42" plasma - 1080i / 720P
Panasonic Home Theater System - All in One - 5 speaker system.
PS3
Direct TV - With HD
IPOD - IPOD TOUCH

I am working on a rolling budget, meaning, I plan on piece mailing the system together. Right now I have $700.00 to spend, with another $1000.00 coming late "09".

I would guess replacing the TV will be the last piece. So right now, I have $700.00 to spend. What would you all suggest buying first? I am looking for a good all around system. I play PS3 quite a bit, I watch Blu-Ray quiet a bit. I listen to music when hosting a party(I am very intrigued by HD radio, not a necessity).

From what I am reading I would guess the Onkyo 606 would meet my needs. Looks like I could get the 606 for around $400.00 (Amazon). That would leave me $300.00 for speakers or would I better off going with a more expensive receiver such as the 706 or 806 and getting speakers down the road?

I want this set up to be done right, not just buy something to get me by. I want it to last a long time. So I don't mind just buying an expensive receiver now and waiting on the rest but if a cheaper receiver will work, then it would be nice to go ahead and get it with a $300.00 sub maybe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Well, speakers are what will last you the longest. A good set of speakers could last you a lifetime, but receivers and displays will be upgraded every few years. My first suggestion would be to put that $700 in the bank and wait until you get the other $1000 to do something. A new receiver will be nice, but you'll still be using it with HTIB speakers, so I don't know how much of a difference you'll get out of it. If you waited, however, that same $700 9 months from now will be able to get a much nicer receiver and you'll immediately hear the benefits as you'll be able to get decent speakers at the same time.

If you must get a new receiver right now, my recommendation would be to go to videogon.com and look for a Pio Elite VSX03TXH being sold by Will2 (for $499). He's an authorized dealer (I have no affiliation, BTW). Shoot him a message and give him a call. It's an insane price (it's $900 - $1000 everywhere else) on an excellent Elite receiver.

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just be careful pairing a receiver like the Pioneer with those HTiB speakers. You could destroy them quickly (test tones, cranking the volume, etc).

Also, if your old HTiB doesn't have a powered sub, you may not be able to use it all with a new receiver.

If you must spend the money now, I say get a receiver (Onkyo 576) and a sub (SVS - http://www.svsound.com/products-sub-box-10nsd.cfm). Then later spend the $1000 on good speakers.

foldog22

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Foley
Here are the spec's on my speakers, let me know if this helps...

RMS Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode
Front Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Surround Ch 100 W per channel (4 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Center Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 1 kHz, 10 % THD
Subwoofer Ch 250 W per channel (6 ≠), 100 Hz, 10 % THD
Total RMS Dolby Digital mode power 1200 W
FTC Output Power: Dolby Digital Mode
Front Ch 104 W per channel (6 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Surround Ch 34 W per channel (4 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Center Ch 101 W per channel (6 ≠), 120 Hz–20 kHz, 1 % THD
Subwoofer Ch 95 W per channel (6 ≠), 45 Hz–120 Hz, 1 % THD
Total FTC Dolby Digital mode power 472 W

foldog22

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh Foley
Also, I am trying to look at reviews of the Pioneer VSX-03TXH and really can't find anything, good or bad. Does anybody here have experience with this receiver? Is it better than the Onkyo ones?

LD9000

Auditioning
Looks like this reply is old now -- but in the small chance you didn't buy anything yet, definitely check out the Pioneer Elite VSX-03. I got mine about a month ago, and didn't find this thread until now. I upgraded from a Denon 2800 receiver, and while I swore I would always be a Denon fan, I fell in love with this Pioneer from day one. For the price, I say its unbeatable. I'm still tweaking it after a month, and still having fun doing so. The clarity and performance of this thing is unreal and has to be heard. I had a home theater before I bought this receiver - I now have something surreal thanks to the incredible performance of this thing. I also bought a Pansonic Blu-Ray player to go along for the ride and the only word I can think of right now is "stunning". I am now a Pioneer Elite fan for life.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks