What's new

HT Lighting - Advice Needed (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I searched through the old threads to look for past experiences, but really didn't find what I need. Here's my situation:

I've got a HT in my 1-br apartment. My display is a 36" Sony HD set that sits in the corner. Currently, when I watch a movie I turn off all the lights except for the bathroom, which allows just a little light into the living room. The light comes in from the back right side of the room.

I'd like to hear some opinions on other (better) options I have. I've read that I should have lighting behind the TV, is this correct? A friend of mine suggested a blue light placed behind the TV, how does that sound? What about a night light behind the TV?

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
Just my opinion, but I think the best light in an HT is no light at all.

I would definitely not put a light behind your TV as that would probably be very distracting to your eyes.

One idea would be to get a Lutron Spacer dimmer swicth for some light circut that you have in your room. The Spacer series can be controlled with any universal remote so that if you are sitting there during a movie and need to turn the lights on to find your way to the fridge or the john, you just press a button and you have light. The rest of the time you can leave the lights off....

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
That would be pretty cool, but I doubt my landlord would appreciate the DIY electrical handywork... :)

Rich X

Stunt Coordinator
It's really just as simple as replacing a switch. You can always keep the original switch and change it back when you move out! (that is if you have access to the electrical panel to turn off the circut while you make the swap)

You can buy the Spacer dimmers at any Home Depot, Lowes, or lighting store.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
Actually, many recommend a light behind the tv to reduce on eye strain. You would not want any lights on if you had a front projector w/ a large screen. You may want to try searching for info on a "bias light".

I put mine together from inexpensive purchases at Home Depot. I bought a cheap florescent light base and a 6500K bulb. It's not easy to find a 6500K bulb, but you may see them referred to as "daylight". 6500K is the optimum color temperature in a properly calibrated set. If the light is too bright, you can dim it with neutral density filters. I bought filters here: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

The also sell fully assembled light kits. I highly recommend the filters.

One comment about the Lutron dimmers...I picked one up at Home Depot. I think it was about $20. I use it to control overhead recessed rope lighting & track lighting & it's excellent. You do need to point the remote directly at the switch plate. Many have commented that dimmers add "noise" to your system. I haven't noticed, but my HT stuff is on a dedicated 20 amp circuit. You may want to keep the receipt if your dimmer will be sharing the same circuit as your HT & you run into problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks