HT-in-a-box VS. decent system for under $700?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Stefanich, Jul 13, 2001.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Kevin, I put together a small home theater setup about 10 months ago with a budget of $700. I picked up an entry level DD/DTS Pioneer receiver for $200. Today, one may be able to get the VSX-D510 or whatever they're calling the newest model for around the same price. Also, I grabbed a set of Sony speakers including active subwoofer for $300 - SA-VE315? (they sound decent to me in our small den and my wife loves the small satellites - that was a requirement) and finally a Toshiba DVD player for $200. Today one could pick up the SD-2705 which is a 5 disc changer for around $200.
    good luck,
    --tom

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I have set-up an HTB 504 at a friend's house. Good deal for the money and frankly quite nice sounding for something in that range. The DPL II also is quite fun. While I only had time to watch a few scenes from a Jerry Maguire ( did I spell that right?), it was fun to hear some LFEs and ambient surround sound from an old VHS tape. But needless to say, the system proved itself worthy when I put in my DTS Demo DVDs, Godzilla and The Patriot. That part where Mel rescues his son Gabriel has been a favorite of mine for demonstrating discreet channels. Really puts out the "wows" from the audience.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

4. bryan knott

bryan knott Extra

5. bryan knott

bryan knott Extra

6. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

$700 is pretty tough, but I'll suggest the bookshelf RCA speakers from Radio Shack. They have Lineaum dipole tweeters which are quite good for the price, and the build quality is decent too. You won't mistake them for NHTs or B&Ws, but they'll blow away any of the HT in a box speakers, and the stuff Best Buy carries (Bose, JBL, Cerwin Vega!, KLH, etc.). The RCA speakers go on sale all the time for around $120 pr. The matching center is about the same price as well. Radio Shack also carries a powered sub, but I don't know how good it is. I think it's around $150. I'd then look for a cheap DD/DTS receiver (Technics, Pioneer, Sony, etc.) which should run around $200 or so. Then look for a cheap $150 DVD player from Toshiba, Sony, Pioneer, or Panasonic. This is a little more than $700, but your friend could forgo the rears for a while. This system should provide far better sound than the Sony or Kenwood HT in a box. If he could extend his budget by a few hundred dollars, however, he could move up to some mid-fi gear instead of low-fi. Sometimes it's better to wait and spend a bit more to get something decent than to spend a bit less and be disappointed. The Wegas are nice TVs, and deserve an HT to match.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"
    [Edited last by Justin Doring on July 15, 2001 at 03:01 AM]

7. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I just put together the 504 HTB package (5.1 & DTS sound-- ROCK) today with the help and guidance of HTF man about town Jared Butler, who deserves sainthood for his help and patience. My laserdiscs look a million times better and the sound -- which I haven't had the opportunity to really test out as it's 2 AM and my neighbors will kill me -- is astonishing. Threw in my Criterion Sid & Nancy LD, as well as Gladiator, Last of the Mohicans DTS and Requiem For a Dream. All sound great.
    Now I can finally understand what all the griping is about with sound on the forum as I'm no longer listening through my TV speakers!
    For those who live in apartments/condos and don't want to spend a ton of jack, this is a solid option (Fry's had 'em on sale for $399 last week).

8. David Ki

David Ki Agent

Get the Kenwood 504 and a 5 disk Toshiba player. That will give the most bang for the buck for that price. That is unless he is willing to buy used.
    No sense wasting time mixing and matching on something the end user may not even hear a difference in. Most people around here will just knock these "low end" systems at "low end" prices just to justify their overpriced equipment. Tell him to buy what he wants and that is what will make him happiest.
    I bet if I posted that I bought a duck for $10, somebody would post that they bought a duck for $100 and it quacks better than mine.

9. Henry Colonna

Henry Colonna Stunt Coordinator

10. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

For everyone recommending the Kenwood HTB-504, is it really worth ~$200 more than the HTB-204? I notice the HTB-504 has 100 additional watts of power and S-Video input, but is the added cost justified for what is an interim system for most people?
    I only ask because I've been considering both the HTB-204 and the HTB-504 for my new studio apartment (500 square feet). Cost is a bit of a factor since I'm trying to pay a few things off, and (considering my previous neighbor) I'm also not interested in making that much noise. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    He obviously misinterpreted what it meant to "be bullish."

11. David Ki

David Ki Agent

the 204 is fine too, I think everyone was just tring to spend the full $700. Be sure the subwoofer is powered, their website doen't say it is and I know they throw the passive subs in sometimes.
    [Edited last by David Ki on July 16, 2001 at 01:16 PM]

12. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

lmao...
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

14. David Ki

David Ki Agent

How good are JVC theater systems?
    I noticed next weeks Best Buy ad (July 22) will have the JVC DSTP450 system for $500 (100 watts/channel and 120 watt powered sub), and you get a free $130 Apex DVD player and home theater coupon book free instantly.
    P.S., my duck does quack DTS, I bought an add on Vocal cord for $5. He also has a 1000 watt powered subwoofer in place of his butt. Better stand back when he farts.
    [Edited last by David Ki on July 16, 2001 at 01:12 PM]

15. JerryW

JerryW Supporting Actor

My vote is for the Kenwood 504. It's pretty outstanding considering it's price.

16. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

I got my information on the Kenwood HTB-204 and HTB-504 specs from Circuit City's site (I know, I know).
    According to them, the HTB-504 has "600 watts of total power" and a powered subwoofer. The Kenwood site does say the system is only 100 watts x 5, but the powered subwoofer has a separate 100 watt amplifier, so that could be where CC gets the 600 total. Kenwood makes no mention of whether or not the HTB-204's subwoofer is powered, but CC's site says that it's passive.
    If I may be so ignorant, how much difference will the HTB-504's amplifier make?
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

17. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

Looks like the 204 doesn't have a powered sub.
    The 504 is a newer model and offers Logic II, 6 channel inputs and the powered sub. Also has universal remote, banana plugs for speakers front and center speakers, front S-video input. It has L/R/C speakers with dual woofers and a tweeter. Probably get a little better sound.
    The 204 just has full range speakers.
    Since the guy has $700 to spend I'd recommend the 504 with the carousel Toshiba, Panasonic or Pioneer changer.
    It sure is easy to spend other people's money.

18. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

If the guy likes Yamaha, Good Guys is clearing out the YHT-33 system for $499. Includes 5240 receiver, powered sub, 5 2-way speakers (5" woofer 2" tweeter) and DVD player. Player is not a changer though, just single disc. Great deal for $499. He could still buy a separate carousel CD player with the leftover money.
    http://yamaha.com/cgi-win/webcgi.exe...RSY00010YHT-33

19. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer