What's new

HT and PC Setup feedback and advice (1 Viewer)

JeffLambas

Grip
Hi all,

Have just purchased a new home and am in the process of setting up my HT system. I am new to the HT game but know the basics, and combined with plenty of research I have come up with a design.
Some of my musts are:
1. To link all components as best as I can
2. Use the best cable for that paticular job
3. Be able to recosd cable TV through my DVDR
4. Be able to wirelessly trasmit audio and video from PC to HT (DLink DSM320 wireless media player)
5. Be able to transmit cable TV wirelessly via AV (wireless AV sender)

Anyway, I have drawn up a design > it is below.

Any comments and feedback is much appreciated before I go ahead and kick this thing off. If you have any feedback on the wireless components and your experiences that would be great also. More importantly I am interested about the cabling and whether or not I have got it right.

Cheers,
Jeff

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Hi Jeff,

A couple of things jump out at me.

You’re sending from various sources composite, S-video, and component video to the AV receiver, and component video from the receiver to the TV. Your receiver will have to be able to upconvert the first two to component, or you’re going to run into problems.

You mentioned you want to be able to record cable TV to the DVD recorder. That will require a connection between the cable box (labeled “digital set-top box,” I presume?) and the DVD recorder.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

JeffLambas

Grip
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for that.
Regarding point 1 you make....
How can I find out if the receiver will upconvert the signals as I dont see this in the specs of many. If it canot upconvert, will I need to have multiple connections from the receiver to the TV ie component, S-Video and Composite?? For the record I plan to get a mid - high end receiver from Pioneer - Probably the VSX 814

Re point 2, I am a bit mixed up to be honest. My cable TV is that labelled Pay TV / Foxtel. I hav this running through the DVD recorder which flows onto the receiver. I have a seperate Digital Set top Box, and to be honest I dont know what that does and what it needs to be connected to exactly but have heard that HD plasma TV's are useless without them. Any info you have on that would be great.

Regards,
Jeff

Christo Ramo

Stunt Coordinator
Everything looks great to me, I just do not like the wireless. I might just have had bad expeiences with it, but there has been loss of conectivity at times and slow data streams. I would hard wire if it is not too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks