What's new

HT 5.1 downgrade (1 Viewer)

maxwellSmart1

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Hi all,

I'm about to buy a HT 5.1, but as I have to drill some walls before using the 5 speakers, I'd like to know if is it possible to use a 5.1 without the rear speakers, so as a temporary 2.1 HT.

Thanks.

Max

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Any standard receiver will easily allow you to configure to 2.1 (and other non-5.1 configurations). If you get a HTiB, the configuration options may be limited.

maxwellSmart1

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Thank you very much for your answer. Unfortunately I will do start with a HTiB :wacko:... I will ask to the product manifacturer, then.
Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Are you starting with HTiB or a pre-package?

There is a difference.

HTiB=proprietary system with BD player connecting to 6/8 speakers with specific plugs.
Pre-Package=real AVR with 5/7 speakers and a subwoofer that can be upgraded over time.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My son has got one of those Onkyo packages (from Amazon, in fact).

He loves it. And I am quite impressed by it. It is perfect for an apartment, too.

maxwellSmart1

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
tnx for your answers!!! :)

:huh: ... I guess I am confused (newbie confused) :wacko: ... and low budget :(
I was oriented to buy a Samsung, as my TV is a Samsung too. The model I spot is HT-F5500 with 3D blu ray included. I guess it is not upgradable as the ampli is built in.
I read a little here and there and I understand that Onkyo is to be preferred. Your comments confirm this too, but a 5.1 or a 7.1 by onkyo dubles my budget (

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
If the need to go 2.1 is the drilling of the holes in the walls for the surrounds, can't you use speaker stands? Even makeshift ones?

You'll be much happier in the long run with the Onkyo because of its ability to swap out parts when you decide its time to make things better or if something happens to go wrong with one of the pieces. If the Samsung BD player and amplifier are a single unit then you are SOL if that unit goes bad...and to make matters worse, the speakers would probably be rendered useless because of some proprietary connections. Not the case with the Onkyo.

Of course, with the Onkyo you would need to add a separate Blu player (unless you have one already).

But a budget is a budget. Only you know how flexible yours is and how important some of these decisions are.

maxwellSmart1

Auditioning
Real Name
Max
Wow! I'd like to thank all of you for the time spent in answering and important suggestions.
Definitely Samsung is not a good choice, and I won't do a mistake in buy such a thing in a hurry.
I will take my time to think and evaluate all the choice.

Thank you again.
Max

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good luck, Max.

Please let us know what path you decided to travel.

And you can always come back if you've got more questions! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks