What's new

Hsu STF2 vs HSU VTF2 Any difference on low extension. (MERGED THREAD) (1 Viewer)

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
im sure I will but my neighbour wont. Now my next plan is to buy the yamaha rxv1400 and give it a test with the hsu vtf2

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Unfortunately, CompUSA doesn't have "dedicated" rooms for their home theater gear. The equipment sits out on racks which used to house other computer gear. Since this is the case, the listening area is roughly 200,000 cubic feet. :frowning: :frowning:

AaronJB

Second Unit
I wandered into a large local CompUSA recently after not having been there in a while and was rather shocked to see that 1/3rd of the store suddenly turned into something resembling Circuit City (not a knock against CC, I like CC). The HSU stuff sounded pretty good, as did the Wharfedale stuff I saw/heard. I wasn't so pleased with the little, lower-end of the new JBL E-series (I think they had the E10 and E20.), so I guess I'm glad I got the S-series stuff on sale online due to its discontinuance. Overall, while obviously it's not the best listening space, I was pretty pleased with the set-up at the Comp I visited. Their stuff was well-organized and most of the sets seemed decently calibrated, although some didn't. They also had a decent selection of receievers, including some Pioneers.

Michael__M

Stunt Coordinator
The only problem with CompUSA is there return policy. 15% restock on any open item. Ask me how I know about this? Hard to take a chance on things from them when you have to pay the penalty.

SteveW

Agent
I was considering the STF-2. But with the fact that most CompUSA stores are sold out and I would have to pay shipping from the HSU store, I decided on the VTF-2. Price is $449 right now with free shipping. A mere $25 more than the STF-2 shipped

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I was looking at the STF-2 at CompUSA the set up was horrible! The salesperson told me all down firing subs sound bad. I turn it around it is in max volume and 40hz crossover setting! I turned it down, moved the crossover up to 90hz and low and behold it didn't bottom out on every note. I also noticed that the sub "cable" looked like something they'd taken off a pair of computer speakers. Then I looked at the Ventriliquist set-up and the satellites are hooked up straight from the receiver thereby defeating the whole principal of the design. I told them how they should be set-up but I might as well of been teaching Latin to a pig.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Eddy,

I suspect you will appreciate your Hsu V-2 immensely.

I just received my VTF-2 last week and am extremely impressed. I sold off my older Def Tech 15PF 15" because it just was too boomy in my HT dedicated basement room.

I listen to quite a bit of music so the Def Tech simply wasn't cutting it. Bam! The Hsu VTF-2 shows up and I am a very happy customer. On movies, it will do just fine as well. Taught me a good lesson-- buy your sub based on your rooms response and listening habits. I wanted an accurate and quick and punchy bass. The Hsu delivered, and more. Very impressive for the price tag. Received it in 5 days--- CA to MA. Not bad.

Enjoy,

BOK

EddyObregon

Stunt Coordinator
is it powerfull. Mine shipped out today. Does it rattle a room. if you set the receiver crossover at about 80 or 90 do you also set the hsu crossover as well

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

If you have the crossover set at 80 or 90 Hz at the receiver level, you should do one of two things with the HSU subwoofer (or any subwoofer, for that matter.)

1) Turn off the crossover on the sub (if a switch is provided.)

- or

2) Set the crossover to the highest position to disable it (e.g. - 160 Hz.)

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
I auditioned the STF-2 at the CompUSA I bought it from and it sounded horrible in the 200,000 cubic foot space. Had I not heard the sub at a friend's house first, I would never have bought it. I was just testing it at the store to make sure it was ok, I really don't think the set up at CompUSA is a good place to decide on a sub. I bought the STF-2 nonetheless and I really like it.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

Hmm ... I wonder what this salesperson's opinion is regarding computer cases - whether towers on the floor, or desktop cases are better performers.

:roll; :roll;

Accepting any type of opinion from a CompUSA salesperson makes me shudder.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
IMHO the only place a sub can be properly auditioned is in your room.

And you can not A/B one sub against another unless they figure out some way for two subs to occupy the exact same space at the exact same time.

As others have said, I do expect you will be happy with your HSU once you figure out where to put it, and get it dialed in with the rest of your gear.

BGL

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

Me too. I needed an adapter for a keyboard awhile back and I was pressed for time so I asked for help. The manager didn;t know what I was talking about (so he told me) but he told me who to ask. The problem was, every other customer w/a question was told the same thing. This poor guy, a regular associate,was getting slammed while the cashiers and managers were hanging around. I turned around headed to the door, but made sure I told the manager that I was taking my business across the parking lot to Best Buy.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Eddy,

Yes, very powerful for a 10" downfiring box. Thus kudos to Mr. Hsu for his design. And that is the first and last word about this < $500. sub. The design is remarkable to be so flat and accurate and get down to 25hz. For a $449. shipped sub, no less. Remarkable.

It is not going to win the "exudes craftmanship" award for eye appeal. MDF with sprayed textured flat black matte. Hell, I don't care about that at this price point. Don't get me wrong. It looks minimalist slick and portrays that less is more functionality. Just kidding. This sub is a knockout below the fashion radar IMO.

For movies (used my reference LF DVD--Titan AE), it shook my basement and the entire first floor above. The wife even stuck her head down into the basement and laughed.... ' liking your new sub I hear'.

It was more dynamic, more accurate, delivered more visceral impact below 30hz, and easily outperformed the now gone Def Tech 15" wonder sub of 5 years ago with little sweat involved. I am not a bass-head per say, but I like it like most of us do--- in the gut, flat, and fully supporting the entire soundtrack.
The Hsu VTF-2 is all that. And it EXCELS with music ;^)

Regarding crossover.... I run line level out from my EAD Ovation+ set at 65hz, and bypass the Hsu altogether. 25hz extension (one plugged port) and just let the EAD do the cross. Highpass cross just set to max. Probably the best way to run it if your pre/pro or receiver complies with line level out. It should.
But, I also bought a used 5 meter (Analysis Plus Oval One)single line "sub" cable so I could move the Hsu around my room some for best palcement. And I did relocate it from its previous position. You may want to give yourself this flexibility... as sub placement is so critical as we all know. A longer sub cable affords you the possible sub placement flexibility.

Enjoy yours,

BOK

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Dudes....

What is going on at CompUSA that they are now selling subwoofers? Jesus Christ how weird....Anyway, I was thinking about my VTF-2 that sits in my living room. It sounds EXCELLENT in my Magneplanar system. Tight rattle-your-wood frame-house BIG base that makes me want to give up women and see what I can do with the VTF's big fat port. Let's see..that room is 12 feet wide by 19 feet long by 8.1 feet high which translates to: 1,846.8 cubic feet of sound dampened, balanced airspace. Now I think my local CompUSA measures 150 feet wide by 175 feet long by 30 feet high which translates to 787,500 cubic feet of harsh reflective airspace.
The difference is a ratio of 426.4 to 1. Now if my VTF-2 is producing 150 watts and makes my living room BUMP then it would have to be slightly upgraded to produce around 63,960 watts to make CompUSA THUMP. Maybe the dudes at CompUSA didn't use a big enough amplifier which would account for the bad sound quality? Or maybe they ran too small a cable than the -5 guage overhead powerline they should have used...

Dunno....

Dudes,

Chester II

p.s. If I were Doctor Hsu I would drag my products as FAR AWAY from mass merchandise chain stores as humanly possible....but that's just me...

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Chester II

Dr. Hsu signed up to sell thru Good Guys an electronics chain out in the western US. CompUSA bought Good Guys and thereby the contract with Hsu and now Hsu products are in a big box computer store. Which I doubt was ever in Hsu's plans.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Chris Dude,

That sucks dude...for Dr. Hsu that is. At least Good Guys has dedicated theater listening rooms. Not that that actually means a lot......sigh

Dude,

Chester II

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks