What's new

Hsu or SVS boxed sub (1 Viewer)

Eddie Leary

Agent
The VTF-3 and PC+ are both nice products, that is true. The 25-31 has the most output above 25Hz of all the PC+, right?

If you want to push the subs to the limit, with dual subwoofers, the 1220's are probably the ideal choice with their more powerful amp. When you compare a single subwoofer to single subwoofer (especially -10db below reference), the differences are less apparent. That is probably why faziod and KeithBR says one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a VTF-3 and 20-39PC+.

That is the nice thing. Two excellent products - different products for different tastes.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mike,

>>>I own (2) VTF-3's and I think they sound wonderful! If I had it to do over again...I would buy dual Ultras or 20-39 PC+. (side note..the modification to the VTF-3 amp had to do with soft clipping, adding heat sinks to certain transistors and reducing the sensitivity of the auto on circuit.)

BrianKR

Second Unit
That is probably why faziod and KeithBR says one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a VTF-3 and 20-39PC+.
I am KeithBR/BrianKR.
I still stand by what I said that you would be hard pressed to tell them apart musically (and with most DVD's at lower listening volume/levels) but with HT is where SVS walks away from HSU.

When I made this statement " honestly cant make up my mind which sub I like better. Everytime I get a new DVD or CD I play it over and over on both subs trying to convince myself one is better than the other and I just cant." I only had both subs side by side for a few days to a week (if memory serves me correctly).

Once I stopped swapping them back and forth in the same place and simply put them each in their own place, calibrated them and stopped playing at -20/25dB below reference. The differences became more and more obvious.

Yes, both HSU and SVS make awesome subwoofers. You simply can not go wrong with either, but for HT the VTF-3 was not as impressive with DVD's (as "all" my friends and family agreed) as was the CS+, and I did have the updated VTF-3 at the time.

Either way this has grown tiresome. They are both equally fantastic subs and you really cant go wrong with either. Personally I would take an SVS over a Hsu just because of SVS's "AMAZING" CS and support! Hsu's CS & support is also top notch but NO ONE tops SVS in this regard.

Eddie Leary

Agent
He likes the product, good. Most people that I have seen who have listened to both the PC+ and VTF-3 have said they are very comparable, including some people who own both subs.

Eddie Leary

Agent
I am KeithBR/BrianKR.
I still stand by what I said that you would be hard pressed to tell them apart musically (and with most DVD's at lower listening volume/levels) but with HT is where SVS walks away from HSU.
Isn't this getting mighty confusing. It is a pretty big turnaround to say one minute they are very comparable with various music and DVD's, and the next minute there is no comparison at all with all dvd's.

If I remember, you were comparing two 20-39CS+'s with Behringer to two VTF-3's right? You bought the VTF-3's before the CS+'s?

It looks like only one person owns one 20-39PC+ and one VTF-3, the guy named faziod at the other forum. He says they sound very similar and that we would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two. I know that I certainly felt they were very similar.

Some products ideal for some people, other products ideal for other people. That is why it is great to have these good choices

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
>>>That was a simple explanation about why saying 50% more is a skewed statement. Depending on what perspective you are looking at, these percentages are totally different. That is a simple concept. If you wanted to gain a debating edge, you would present the % that was most favorable for your product. That is why use of %'s is almost useless in a reasonable discussion.

Eddie Leary

Agent
You forgot to factor in perhaps the most important issue when discussing porting...the tuning point.
Yes, tuning point can be factored in. But the VTF-3 in the tuning mode for max output is flat to 20Hz. With 2 ports, it should have a big edge over the 1220, and yet it doesn't. The point is that we are comparing two different products, two different designs, oranges and apples really.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Eddie,

Well, I think it is clear we won't agree on the *penny logic* aspect of things. I'm perhaps a little sensitive to this issue because Ron and I are forced to argue at every board meeting to keep the current SVS pricing as low as we have. We are literally going tooth and nail opposing price increases in the $5-$50 range...so the analogy that compares a $235+ price increase to the difference between one penny and two pennies is a little insulting to me(I know that isn't how you meant it).Ron and I are both doing 14-16 hour days, 7 days a week so we have the ammo we need at the board meetings to keep from raising prices $10-50...and now we have someone telling us that a $235+ difference is like a *penny*? Anyway, I hope you can empathize with my POV on this.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You forgot to factor in perhaps the most important issue when discussing porting...the tuning point.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

>>>Yes, tuning point can be factored in. But the VTF-3 in the tuning mode for max output is flat to 20Hz. With 2 ports, it should have a big edge over the 1220, and yet it doesn't. The point is that we are comparing two different products, two different designs, oranges and apples really.

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit
OMG! I haven't been more irritated reading a thread, ever.

Eddie Leary, OK OK, you LOVE HSU. We get the point.:D You are in an endless debate loop. You seem to be just making less and less sense as the thread goes on. You are debating one of the most respected and most knowledgable members on this forum, Tom V. In my opinion, you are losing, badly. His posts make sense to me, yours, do not. Again, IMO.

While reading this thread, everytime I saw another Eddie post, I got more aggrivated and thought to myself, "How come some people just don't know when they are outmatched?". Walk away, Eddie, walk away. :)

I have nothing of any value to add to this discussion except my rant.

Eddie Leary

Agent
So at 20hz...the TN20 tuned in the mid 17s with a 4" flared port SHOULD have the advantage on a design using the same amp power,driver,and approximate enclosure volume...but tuned in the 23-24hz range(I can't remember which exactly) using twin 3" flared ports.
Hsu told you that the VTF-3 is tuned at 23-24 cycles?

Remember that we are only looking at one data point, maximum levels at 20Hz. At this one data point, I agree that your argument is valid for the VTF-3 compared to 1220. We still know that is not a conclusive measure of overall performance. Both the VTF-3 and 1220 are very similar in frequency response, flat to 20 cycles. Having listened to a VTF-3 and 1220, they are both very similar really for the most part. Comparing these two is easier because they have same driver and amp and volume. Comparing VTF-3 and PC+ is different because every component is different. Oranges to apples.

Eddie Leary

Agent
This thread is really going in circles isn't it? Frankly, I am as tired as everyone else about the arguing. Let's agree to disagree.

Hsu and SVS is coke or pepsi. Take your pick, both should more than satisfy.

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Thanks for finally giving up Eddie. Don't you realize that you aren't going to get us loyal SVS owners to all of a sudden change our song and start singing the HSU tune. That would be like trying to get a die hard Chevy fan to all of a sudden talk about how great Ford is. The are both great products it just depends on what you like. That's what makes the world go around my friend!:emoji_thumbsup:

Eddie Leary

Agent
Good deal Bob! It is truly a blessing to have these companies provide such quality products at such reasonable prices, with top-notch customer support to boot!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks