How's your handwriting?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Nov 2, 2001.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I used to have pretty decent handwriting, but nowadays, I rarely have to physically write stuff down, other than endorsing checks and signing credit card receipts. So I noticed after leaving a written note to a co-worker, I tried to read my note, and was aghast at my handwriting. Sure, I could read it, but I had my doubts for others. It's now probably worse than a doctor's handwriting! Eek!
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

2. Dave L

Dave L Stunt Coordinator

Never was terrific, but it's certainly become near illegible since I rarely write anything long hand anymore, except my signature. When I write notes, I have to print or even I won't be able to decipher them. It's embarrassing to have someone ask what I wrote and I can't figure it out.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I find that I make a lot of slips of the hand when write, for example, a "w" with 3 dips instead of 2, etc. I type much faster than I can write.
    ------------------
    http://webhome.idirect.com/~orange1
    ------------------
    My Favourite DVD's

4. Kurt B

Kurt B Stunt Coordinator

Mine is horrible, always was, always will be. I think it was from my youth, I'm left handed and the nuns tried to force me to be right handed [​IMG]

5. Chris Wittry

Chris Wittry Stunt Coordinator

It's always been horrible, but I've been typing everything since I was in 4th grade, so I don't really notice it. The only comment I ever get is that I should have been a doctor because I already have the handwriting to match. [​IMG]

6. Kolya

Kolya Stunt Coordinator

Mine was illegible in highschool (about 10 years ago), but I've made an effort over the last few years to make it more readable.
    I don't write for other people very often; the last thing I can remember writing was the track listing on a TOOL comp CD I made for my girlfriend.

7. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

I can write very well when I want to. The problem is, I can type many times faster than I can write. If I write well, it takes forever! I'm so used to being able to compose my thoughts at 120+ words per minute, I can't stand the length of time it takes to write anything anymore, so I just scribble things out as fast as possible. I've got my signature down to less than half a second... That's full first name, middle initial, and last name. You can't read it for anything, but what does that matter? [​IMG]
    ------------------
    -Ryan ( http://www.ryanwright.com )
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

[Edited last by Ryan Wright on November 02, 2001 at 02:07 PM]

8. TimDoss

TimDoss Second Unit

Mine used to be pretty good... I used to do some
    calligraphy and that tends to improve your overall
    penmanship... but after so many years of just typing,
    when I do write anything I don't want anybody to see it.
    It pretty much sucks now.

9. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I underwent the handwriting equivalent of brainwashing in 7th grade. Up until that point my cursive was jagged and sloppy, but we had this crazy teacher who took it upon himself to re-teach the entire cursive alphabet to a group of restless and miserable Jr. High students.
    He looked like Captain Kangaroo, the voice of Winnie the Pooh, wore suspenders and red ties and had a suspicious enthusiasm for some of the male students. [​IMG]
    After that class had finished, my handwriting had developed from chicken scratches into elaborate calligraphy.
    My handwriting is generally sloppy, but I can still call up my perfect handwriting when I'm in the mood to impress someone. [​IMG]
    Joseph

10. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

Mine is pretty damned good, if I do say so myself. My signature, on the other hand, is illegible. I think you can make out the "D", but you're on your own after that.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    He obviously misinterpreted what it means to "be bullish."

11. Scott-C

Scott-C Supporting Actor

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

13. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    My handwriting is pretty attrocious. I find myself so embarrased by it that I apologize before anyone has to see it. I have to print rather than use cursive or no one including myself could read it.
    I have to use the tiny keyboard rather than the handwriting recognition software on my Palm. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    THIS BAG IS NOT A TOY
    [​IMG]
    375 Reasons why I drive A 1991 Cavalier.

14. GARY C

GARY C Second Unit

My writing is terrible.
    I'm a draftsman so back when I was learning the 'art' in high school and beyond I adopted printing as my sole style.
    I can honestly say I have not written in well over 12-13 years now (save for my name when needed).
    That being said my printing is fairly bad also. When I slow down and do the proper drafting sytle it comes out as great but that takes to long. I print fast, almost as fast as I type so it comes out poor.
    I can read it which is good enough. I tend to e-mail or use Word for sending stuff out to others to save them from trying to read my chicken scratch now-a-days.
    It is a rare sight, most people I know tend to use writing.
    [Edited last by GARY C on November 02, 2001 at 03:42 PM]

15. JasonK

JasonK Supporting Actor

Same here, gang. I type more than I write, so I've grown rather lazy. Couple that with the fact that I have my own method of shorthand that I understand, but few others do, and it can be a pain trying to discern my writing.
    Jason

16. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Patrick, my story is exactly like yours. I once had excellent penmanship and that seems like many years ago. Sadly, I have lost touch with the PEN and grown more accustomed to a KEYBOARD. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Sometime after being taught cursive writing, it somehow merged with my printed writing. Now I have a strange merge of the two that makes it all the harder to understand. There are also inconsistencies in the manner in which I form some letters, especially if they are in the first half of the word or the second.
    However, when concentrating, my penmanship crosses up to legible status.

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    My handwriting has deteriorated to the point where archaeologists now use it as reference for deciphering ancient hieroglyphics.
    I remember the good old days when my handwriting was merely illegible.

19. Ashley Seymour

Ashley Seymour Supporting Actor

All your penmanship idiosyncracies are are quite revealing to a handwriting analyst. I do a little analysis and it is fun getting to know people a little better than they knowing to reveal to me. The real challenge is to study psychology to put the bits and pieces of the writing to together to form a revealing picture.
    I used it for years as a banker and a realtor. I know a few single people, guys and gals, who bring me the writing of someone they are going with. With the permission of the people writing. Of course the guys are quite direct in what they want to know. It is mostly guys that post to this site and I would bet that most of them would like to know a little about their dates or current girlfriends. Ok, lets be more direct, they want to know if they have an above average sex drive. And yes, if you are observant, you can tell a great deal.
    My handwriting? Still legible, but the more stress I feel, the harder it is to write so that even I can read it.
    I was disappointed with the movie Hannibal. The audience was shown a brief view of the letter he was writing to Clarise and it was quite elegant. This quy was a pervert and I would have been fun to have had an analyst propose a style to reflect his perversion.

20. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I find handwriting tedious now, especially when making notes. Half the time I can't read then. I remember thinking that typing took too long. Not any more.
    I too, could have been a doctor.
    ------------------
    Zardoz Online | Burt Lancaster is The Swimmer | dOc