What's new

Howard The Duck - cult classic or merely fowl? (1 Viewer)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Retitled "Howard - A New Breed of Hero" over here, just in case someone eggs on that its about a talking duck called um Howard. This now classic turkey produced by George Lucas has gained cult status and is adored by more than a dozen people (including me) worldwide, full of classic sequences and wonderful quotes "I'm a master of quack-fu!" and "Eat beak!" to name just a couple.;)

HTD also contains hints at beastiality with Howard and half naked Lea Thompson in bed snogging away until interrupted by a jealous Tim Robbins, great pre-cgi effects and a fun stop-motion monster for the climax.
An 80's camp classic, to be savored and enjoyed, an eggstraordinary film.:D

ps. Where's the dvd George?

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
This was one of the "surprise" films at the CWRU SF Film marathon, which was greeted with a lot of groans. Personally, I don't think it is a bad film. I was actually impressed with the Howard costume, which doesn't make me think "Man In Suit".

The main problem with the film is that it is one big hunk of velveta. The human performers really are not that good. (Then again, we are comming to expect that from Lucas)

Course, the big question is, why did Lucas think this was going to be a great idea for a film?

Jason

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I havent seen it since 1985 but I remember it not being so bad - Ive definitely seen worse.

Or maybe I was just lusting after Lea Thompson :D

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
It is a guilty childhood pleasure, not to mention it had a catchy song by Mr Thomas "She Blinded Me With Science" Dolby. And Lea Thompson looked good in it...there I said it.

Just because it reminds me of my childhood, doesn't mean I'll ever sit through Masters Of The Universe again. That was truly a much worse film than good ol' Howard.

C'mon, Jeffery Jones stuck his tongue in a cigarette lighter, that was COOL!

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Definitely foul fowl, the biggest Lucas turkey prior to the SW prequels. The "duck out of water" aspects were cute for a while, but got old fast, and the silly "monster" plot was dull, dull, dull.

Lea Thompson did look fetching in her underwear, though.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
John Barry's score was great, bought the soundtrack LP, pretty sure the soundtrack was never released on cd, hmmm no cd or dvd for Howard, sad, Lucas laid an egg and now wants to keep it buried, tsk tsk.[who quacked?]

ps. The bit with the tongue in the cigarette lighter was cut from the UK video release, in fact all the tongue action in the truck with Lea Thompson [Homer's Brain: mmmm tongue action Lea] was missing, but the good old BBC showed an uncut widescreen copy a few years ago, wahay!:emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
I saw this in the theater, opening weekend if I remember correctly. (I also saw Leonard Part 6 on opening night!)

I don't think I'd buy it, but I'd love to see it again because I remember watching it on HBO as a young'un; I'd like to see how it stands up after all these years.

Matthew Miller

Auditioning
Why do people keep blaming Lucas for Howard the Duck? He put his name on the picture to help sell it as a favor to the directors/writers/producers Hyuck and Katz, who did a dialogue pass on Star Wars and were good friends of his. He had little to do with the film.

Matthew Miller

Auditioning

Like I said, he was asked to put it there as a favor to help gain notoriety for the film, which was written/directed/produced by two good friends of his who had helped him out on Star Wars. He had little if anything to do with the film. It was purely a marketing move on the part of his friends, who were having trouble getting it made and getting word out.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I really hate to admit this, but I enjoyed Howard the Duck many many years ago. Cheesy as hell, but I had fun with it. I'm not sure how it would stand up today, but I doubt I would put it into a "worst movie ever" category. There are far, far worse things lurking in the darkness of the video void than Howard the Duck.

I really would like the DVD :b

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I watched this not to long ago, hadnt seen it in years and years, it is just a fun little movie I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks