What's new

How would this work as a sub enclosure? (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
AHPLANTER.jpg

Yeah,I know, humor me.
wink.gif
I saw these at Home depot this morning, and they're made of a thick foam material, about 3/4" thick. The one I saw tapered from 26" at the top down to about 16" or so,21" high. It stated the volume as 88 quarts (I assume "dry", making it about 96 liters), which would be enough for a Shiva using the "Adire" reflex alignment from the Shiva paper.
I though that the non-resonant material and the tapered cylinder shape might make for something interesting. Would the properties of a cylinder be preserved when tapered like this? Might it make it more resistant to standing waves?
Is there a better 12" to maximise extension in a small bass-reflex?

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>I though that the non-resonant material and the tapered cylinder shape might make for something interesting.
====
It's low resonance, but whether it's below a sub's BW remains to be seen, and I doubt it's sufficiently rigid. Back in the days when a vented 35Hz F3 was considered low, these types of pots were acceptable (and still are for fullrangers), but I doubt they're suitable for today's infrasonic capable drivers.
====
> Would the properties of a cylinder be preserved when tapered like this?
====
No.
====
> Might it make it more resistant to standing waves?
====
Yes.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks