What's new

How well do Projectors display HD? (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Hello,

I will be finishing my basement sometime next year and I have already started to research what display format I would like to use for my new space. It seems that everyone on this board is infatuated with PJ, but from what I have read they are not capable of displaying 1,920-by-1,080, which is the native resolution of true HD. My budget consists of 3k or less, so my question to everyone is... How well do PJs in this range display HD? When I complete the basement, 75% of my viewings are going to be HD material so I want it to look darn good! Any insight or recommendations regarding this are greatly appreciated.

I also forgot to mention, my viewing distance will be 12 to 15 feet. I am yet to have measured the space...

Thank You.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
If you are getting a projector for HT with the intention of displaying HDef material then try to get a wxga class projector with a native resolution of either 1280x720 or 1366x768. My 11HT has the latter resolution and believe my, 1080i and 720p on it is awesome. Of course, if you want to display full hdef (1920x1080) then you wuld have to pay big dollars for it.

In your particular price bracket, one of the projectors to look at is the Sony HS20.

Thomas Willard

Stunt Coordinator
A projector such as the Panasonic PT-L300U with 540 lines of resolution scales very nicely to 1080i HDTV and also does a good job with 720p.

When I watch a 1080i signal on my 300U, I know that in a couple of years when 1080p projectors will be available, the picture will be better. However, I wonder if I will really notice the difference. The 300U is that good.

Amano Ai

Agent
I 2nd that, the l300u does a very good job for hdtv viewing. Of course, I have to add that all hd is not the same, some shows shine while others don't.

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

I have the Sony HS10 which is a WXGA PJ with a resolution of 1366 X 768. HD looks incredible on my 80 X 45 ( 92 inch diagonal ) Da-lite High Contrast screen.

You won't be disappointed.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I just tested my Z1 with HDTV(Time Warner)recently and it looked great.
I wasn't expecting the Wow factor but I got it for the price I paid for this unit.....

DavidLM

Agent
1/4 HD products will look very good with HDTV (z1 and 300u)

For 2k you can also get 720p projectors such as the sanyop z2 and panny 500u. Sony also makes the HS 10 and 20 for a bit more.

You will not be able to get 1080i yet, but 720p is very nice.

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Wow...this really sounds promising.

I was under the impression HD was not worth viewing on a budget PJ.

My HT Room build out is going to start in January, so hopefully something will be available for around 3k or less that satisfies my needs.

So far I need to look at the Sony HS10/20, and the panny 500u. I wonder where I can go to view these devices with an HD source...

Thanks for the help guys!

PS - Where can I get the specs on the panny?? Their web site is terrible and doesn't list anything like sony's does.

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator
The Panny is not yet available in the States. Try the Sanyo PLV-Z2.

I have one on the way.

You will be hard pressed to find a LCD projector on display in the Chicago area. The little guys in Homewood, IL had one on display but I am not sure if it still is. They have lots of DLP's as does/did Music In Motion in Chicago Heights.

I think that there is a Music In Motion by you but I am not familiar with your side of the area.

DennisL

Auditioning
I have an InFocus X1 and when it's working right, HiDef is incredible. EVERY single person that has seen HDNet, HBO-HD, Discovery-HD, etc. or OTA HD has had jaw-dropping WOW. And the X1 is only about $1000. Unfortunately, for me the X1 sometimes has problems at 720p or 1080i, forcing me to switch to 480p. Many people do not report this happening, but many others do. But even at 480p, TV or DVD's are just so stunning. If you have a large enough room, and you can control the light, or only watch at night :) then PJ's are the way to go.

Dennis

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks