What's new

How to sound calibrate Yamaha RXV-800 with Avia? (1 Viewer)

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
I'm not sure how to calibrate the speakers through the Yamaha rxv-800. I've got the sound meter and Avia, but what I can't figure out is when I am playing a test sound from Avia (let's say the left main), how do I use the Yammy's controls to get the desired level out of that speaker? For example, let's say that the test sound is at 80dB and I want to set the LM speaker to 85db, I've been simply upping the Yammy's volume dial to 85dB. Now I follow the same procedure for the other speakers. But when I give this procedure some thought, it seems to me that I'm not really "setting" the sound output for each speaker correctly as all I am doing is raising or lowering sound output for each speaker - but I can't see how this "sets" the volume output for each. Again, test sounds per speaker via Avia playing on BD85, which controls on the Yammy allow for setting volume while listening/watching Avia?

I just re-read this mess and now think I may have a better understanding of what to do. Please check me out. As I run the test sounds for each speaker, I am to TAKE NOTE (ie, write it down) how many dBs that speaker needs to be adjusted to reach the targeted sound level. Then go into the Yammy and adjust the dBs for each speaker.
If I am right about this, my next problem is just where in the rxv-800 manual (http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/re/RX-V800kai.pdf) do I find how to do this?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I personally would not rely on AVIA to adjust my speakers. Does the Yammy have internal test tones (it appears it does but I can't load the PDF you linked - I get an error)? IMO, these will be much more accurate. Set each speaker to 75db using the internal tones and an SPL meter.

flycaster

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam
Thanks, guys. I figured it out and the speakers are fairly well balanced and ready for PCM and bitstream playing...even the subW is OK for 6ch.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks