What's new

How to repair Drywall.. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
We have two cracks in our wall, and I'm tired of waiting for someone to get around ot fix it, because I think it's what is letting bugs into my room. Windows are new and seal tight....

But I can't find any step by step instructions on how to repair it with images..
I've got plaster patcher, but I think thholes are way to big for that. 3X3 inches...

Thanks

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Plaster? I just saw a This Old House ep. the other day where they did a plaster patch. I wonder if PBS has stuff on the web you can access. If not I can try and explain. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
That sounds like a hole, not a crack.

Can u post pics.

Best way to fix would prob depend on the crack or hole.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I usualy do the backer board method.

For small holes, you can also do the overlap method. Where you overlap the hole just a bit and then peel the drywall off, a small layer of the wallpaper off - so that theyre the same thickness.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
From the article:

I prefer Tom Silva's (This Old House) method where you cut the opening to fit the patch. In other words, let's say your hole is roughly 3x3 inches big. Cut a nice straight piece of drywall about 4x4 and then trace its outline on the wall around the hole. Then cut the opening. That way, you'll have a patch that fits perfectly and less drywall mud is required to fill in the gaps.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have had success using a piece of drywall as a patch. Drill a hole in either side of the wall and mount a furring strip to the inside cavity to hold the drywall piece in place while you apply joint compund and when it dries, sand till smooth.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
the trouble I always run into is getting the texture to match. The spray crap they sell at Home Dumpo is useless.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I patched a hole in mine with a sort of wire-mesh patch sold at Home Depot (if I recall, it's actually called a drywall patch), then plastered over it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member

I've used those as well and it works fine. If you do use a section of dry wall I suggest following the guys advice and cut the hole to fit the patch.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hey guys, thank for al lthe feedback...Home Improvement can be real tiresome....more so than I thought...

Well, I stayed up til 2 AM last night, got up around 11, started to work at 12PM. First, I spent about an hour and ten minutes peeling off the wall paper in the bathroom. I didn't know if the wall paper backing needed to come off, or if that could be painted over, so I left it on. Now I know, so that's coming off on Friday...

Then, I took down all the framed autographs and animation cells on the walls. Some of them are nailed directly through the frame so they don't fall onto the computer station, so I left those where they where. They got a nice new white frame :).

Then I patched the holes I made trying to hand 'em...plastered those. Let it sit for thirty minutes to dry... sanded them down a bit, and after putting the plastic tarp over the new rug, got to work..

First coat was done with the accompaniement of a thunderstorm....about an hour to get all the streaks out, and cover everyhting. I did half the room, because the other half didn't look nearly as bad. Second coat took an equal amount of time...after the first dried a bit.

Not bad for my first time solo. I only got for tiny drips on the rug, because even though I checked, the Paint holder developed a surprise leak as I took it out. A few of my action figures didn't surive, however. Skeletor, He-Man, and a Toddler Turtle met a undesirable end in the paint holder. Wish I had the time to take a picture of it :). By the time I was done and relaxing, it was 7PM :).

It's amazingwhat you can do when motivated...but I just got tired of looking at it for the past few months :). Sunday, as stated, will be fixing the whole in the wall, and painting the bathroom.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

Just to clarify, 3 Inches, by 3 Inches. Not a gaping hole, but definetly a hole. We've got the phone wire, and the cable wire coming in from the outside, wich is why it was created. My room never had phone or cable, so we had to modify that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks