What's new

How to repair a DBS receiver after soda spills inside... (True story) (1 Viewer)

Steve Mudie

Auditioning
Last week I had pulled my Dish Network 7200 PVR receiver out in front of my rack so I could run cables to my PC to capture some video for a few VCDs I wanted to burn. When I do this it's not really in the way so I left it there for a day or 2 expecting to capture some more when I had time.
I was sleeping (working nights) when my 13 year old son decided that the top of the DBS receiver was a good a place as any to set his glass of soda. It tipped over pouring the entire glass down through the vented holes all over the main circuit board and hard drive inside. Poof! No more Dish Network TV. :angry:
Being out of warranty the best Dish Network could do for me was a used replacement (trade-in) for $85. Yes I know, expensive soda. After relating the story to my highly amused co-workers one of them suggested placing it in the shower. Hmm...
Being well versed in PC build/repair I figured "Why not?". After I got home I dismantled my new DBS boat anchor and took the very sticky mainboard down to the bathroom. After running hot water over it for ten minutes or so (microchips and all) I set it to dry. After about an hour it looked ready so I put it all back together and tried it. Nothing. :frowning:
The next day (24 hours later) fully expecting to have to order a replacement I decided to give it one more try. It worked! :D
Lessons we've learned from this:
  • My son now fully understands that electronic components are NOT coasters. :b
  • I will be running a permanent connection to my PC so I won't have to pull it out in front anymore.
    and
  • Sometimes the really stupid suggestions work. :wink:
Steve

Matt Meyer

Stunt Coordinator
I feel for you, about 6 years ago my child spilled a glass of milk down the back of my Mitsi tube tv. I realized right away but the tv still did the poof thing, I quickly unplugged and tipped it upside down and drained it all out. I let it dry for a day or two and tried it and it worked. It still works today despite how corrosive milk it is still plugging away. It is amazing what you can get away with sometimes! :)
Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks