What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Well, I found the (WS) (DTS) pressing at a different best buy and picked it up. Mine did not have the "playstation" sticker or anything regarding JP3. From the opening note in the credits, it is clear that this is the repressing. I have not been able to go through the whole movie yet, but in just listening to the first chapter you can tell the bass is much stronger than the original pressing. This could be my imagination, but the color also seems to have a little bit more of a red tint to it than I remember on the original. Did anyone else notice this. In all, the new disc sounds great and maybe now we can put this whole mess behind us.
Greg

Aaron Carr

Agent
Greg_t,
Glad to see you found yourself a copy. I think the stickers on the front vary from disc to disc. I was at a Best Buy this morning again and saw (WS) (DTS) discs with the playstation sticker, some without it, some with only the JP3 sticker, and some with both. So for those of you that are out looking for this disc the only thing you need to look for is the (WS) (DTS).

Kami

Screenwriter
Fellow Canadians,
Does anyone know if the ones in Future Shop in Canada are the repressed ones?
At my future shop they didn't have any security stickers so there was no way to see a (WS) (DTS) marking. BUT, the JP DTS discs were on the top rack and discounted and they had quite a few copies...and they usually do this for new shipments. I was tempted to pick it up but there was no way of being sure. All the other versions of JP were catalogued on the shelves under Jurassic Park, but only the DTS versions were up on the top shelf.
------------------
riders.jpg

-Adam
(a.k.a. kami)
My budding DVD collection

DarrenA

Second Unit
So the moral of this story is..."If you sold your old copy on eBay anytime before yesterday then you're OK, if you choose to sell it today and beyond then you should be ashamed".
The buyer has to accept some responsibilty here as well. Afterall, if you cannot contact the seller before bidding, then don't bid!
I've seen a bunch of copies of the original Se7en DVD for sale on eBay. Virtually all of these posts for sale don't list it as "this is the the non-anamorphic flipper version for sale, if you want the new improved version then this is not the one."
I think before I jump to the conclusion that these fellow HTF members are going to sell the old JP DTS DVD on eBay without notification, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that they'll do the moral thing! For those heading to eBay, always remember this slogan..."BUYER BEWARE"!!
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone post a scan of the correct version to purchase?
Ooops,
blush.gif
thanks for the heads up. I should have looked through the entire thread.

Aaron Carr

Agent
David,
Check page 3 of this thread and look at DarrenA's post with the picture of the secruity sticker. That's what you want to look for.

Jose Q

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know man. Somehow I can't help but crack a smile when I see ebay and "the moral thing" on the same sentence. If you have no knowledge of the product that you are buying then you have no business buying stuff on ebay. Chances are you will be taken advantage of.
The way I see it, if you are internet savy enough to go to ebay.com then you should also be sharp enough to do a bit of research before you start buying stuff online. Making ebay one of your primary places to shop is ridiculous.
Upon doing research you will find a place like HTF or other online community to become more aware of what is going on. The buyer has to make it their personal business to be educated.
Ebay is basically ruled by scalpers even though there are honest people there that are willing to do good business.
Let's face it, without uninformed people there would be no ebay.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Here's something else i noticed. I dug out my Amazon receipt from my pre-order to which I affix the top UPC stickers. It says:
JURRASIC PARK-DTS
COLLECTOR'S EDITION
like some people have already mentioned. No parentheses appear anywhere. However, unlike the scan of the (DTS) version that appears earlier in the thread, my UPC says 2519-20787-2 . The scan shows no hyphens and the second 2 grouped with the first set of numbers. Is this another defining characteristic?

Mike Loiterman

Stunt Coordinator
H O L Y S H I T!
Thats all I can say. I just got back from Best Buy with my new Jurrasic Park (WS)(DTS) and I'm as happey as can be. IF YOU OWN THE ORIGINAL YOU SHOULD ABSOLUTLY UPGARDE!
I just watched the opening scene and its about 1000 times better then I remember with the original pressing. That 'raptor sounds like its about to break out of that cage and crash through my entertainment room. When the T-Rex blows off the Hat of the Dr. *I* could feel his breathe!
This is what Home Theater is about! I could care less about how the fix was done...all that matters is that this disc sounds like it should.

Aaron Carr

Agent
Jose Q,
I hear what your saying and for the most part I do agree but I think this Jurassic Park issuse is a different matter. Until one of the major DVD sites post some information on this issue it is going to be VERY hard for people to find out about the re-pressing. Someone brought up the Seven dvd and I think that is a bad example because that disc has been pulled from almost every major retail store and it is out of print and secondly yes you can easily find information on both of those discs because it has been discussed and reviewed on major websites and in magazines like Widescreen Review. However as of right now the Jurassic Park issue is totally different because other than the HTF and little bit on DVDtalk it hasn't been throughly discussed or reviewed on ANY DVD news site. Speaking for myself the reason I was against people on this forum putting their discs on ebay right away is because this knowledge about the repressing hasn't been made public yet and the only place you can find it is on here. So when people started talking about putting their discs on ebay right away it came off as MAYBE people were trying to sell their old discs before everyone outside the HTF knew about a re-pressing. I just feel as of right now we shouldn't take advantage of the knowledge we now know about the DTS Jurassic Park disc. Once it has been talked about on say DVDfile or The Digital Bits then I believe the "buyer beware" can be a valid topic of discussion. I just feel that since myself and a lot of others in this thread worked hard in finding out this information for everyone I know I would feel cheated if people abused this information before it was made public. Members of the HTF are looked upon as professionals when it comes DVD knowledge and I think that this is something we need to up hold till it has been offically made public on a major DVD information site. DanR maybe this is how to feel as well? Anyways I just wanted to back up why I thought ebay was a bad decision right away.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I just got off the phone with Amazon. Big surprise, the guy hadn't heard anything about it! Damn Universal! Anyway, I called knowing what the answer would be, but I told him I would appreciate it if he used whatever CS channels they had to make it known to the employees. I assume I'm not the only one that will call, and I would like to hear what anyone else's experience is. Hopefully the guy didn't think I was just some conspiracy lunatic and disregard the whole conversation, since I'm sure that's what it sounds like when I say "Universal is sneaking the repress to retailers without any recall notice." It just sounds so ridiculous that a major company would do that, even if it is the truth. Anyway, good luck to anyone else. I'm going to find it really hard to reward Universal with another purchase, as much as I want to hear the new/old track.
P.S. Bjoern, assuming you're reading this and will seek out the new disc, how long will it take to get up a new graph? Thanks!

DanR

Supporting Actor
quote: Hey Dan, stop jumping to conclusions and accusing me of screwing people. Nowhere did I suggest to rip anybody off. Nowhere did I suggest passing the first disc off as something it isn't.[/quote]
Fair enough Rob. I think it was the way you worded it that bothers me. To me, it sounds like you are saying something to the effect of "If I can't get it replaced, then I'll just recoup some of my cost through some idiot on Ebay". Maybe you didn't mean it that way, but that's the way I read it.
For the life of me, I cannot figure out why someone would post something up on Ebay with the moniker "This the the first pressing with no deep bass. Now it can be all yours." Who the hell would want to buy that?
quote: To be honest I'm really pissed off with what you've just said. Do you automatically think the worst of people?[/quote]
Well, to answer your question specifically regarding people in the internet, ABSOLUTELY. On almost every DVD forum (including this one), I read posts of how "I screwed this idiot on Ebay and got him to buy X version of X movie so that I can buy the special edition next week." These types of posts, especially regarding Ebay purchases/sales, are prevalent everywhere on the net. I find this disgusting.
As I said elsewhere, it is really "easy" to screw over the uninformed "faceless" guy on the other end of the internet connection.
I'll go ahead and apologize publicly to Rob. Sorry for assuming the worst in you Rob However, given all the above information as precedent regarding Ebay sales, I refuse to take complete responsibility when you are in fact advocating the sale of the original JP DTS product, which was clearly defective enough for Universal to see fit to re-press with a different soundtrack.
If you wish to discuss this further, then please email me, and we can resolve to your hearts content. Otherwise, if we ever meet, I will buy you a beer and we can laugh about this whole ridiculous situation Universal Studios has created.
Regards,
Dan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Regarding Universal's handling of this, allow me to sorta play "devil's advocate."
JP must have sold millions of copies, in all it's permutations--DD,WS,PS,and a comparitively smaller number of DTS copies. I can't help thinking that the majority of buyers don't even know what DTS is, let alone that the original pressing is lacking in bass.
If Universal were to publicize a recall of the DTS discs, there would no doubt be huge numbers of casual buyers who'd mistakenly think the recall applied to the non-DTS versions they purchased. Universal would be deluged with non-eligible returns, and probably not be able to convince the uninformed there was nothing wrong with their dd versions. Think of the Firestone/Explorer debacle, and all the people who are demanding replacement of totally unrelated Firestone tires.
Those of us who noticed and wanted a correction of the DTS JP are pretty much the cognoscenti on the 'net. It did not take very long for us to find out about the repressing, and how to identify the new versions. Those who are not privy to the information are most probably those who don't care about the bass discrepancy in the first place. A publicized recall would be a financial and public relations nightmare for Universal, in light of how many non-affected people would be trying to get exchanges, and the media's likely ignorant reporting.
I strongly believe that Universal should replace the old discs for anyone who sends them their copy and requests an updated copy, but can easily understand why they aren't doing a Firestone-style recall.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I just placed an order at DVD Empire. After I can confirm the new one I'll join Dan and send the first disc back to Universal!!
I'm definately not buying The Grinch LE though!!
(The fact that it's P&S is just too much of a line drawn in the sand)
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

HankM

Second Unit
I just picked mine up at my local BB. Now I can retire my DTS laserdisc. The surrounds on the new DVD pressing aound right, my DTS laserdisc surrounds were 3db too high.
------------------

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I purchased a corrected version today and I must agree that is a marked difference! I still have one on order at dvdempire.com so if anyone wants it, just drop me an e-mail.
Dan, I'll join you in sending the defective disc to Universal. The folks at Universal can go to hell. I'm still very upset over their refusal to acknowledge the faux pas.
Now, if we could just get a new pressing of The Lost World, I could retire my laserdiscs.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
OK Dan, no problemo. Case closed.
The thing with the first DVD is that many people seemed perfectly happy with it. Of course there were complaints, but it was far from being one-sided. To anyone who had never heard the DD or DTS LaserDiscs this disc sounded good. In fact, the disc does sound good but the new one just sounds better (allegedly).
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks