What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

William Ward

Supporting Actor
Is it OK for high fives all around yet???
Looks like I may have to go the DVD Empire route. No Best Buys in my general area. Any idea when they'll get more??
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I picked up a (WS)(DTS) copy of JP at Best Buy earlier this evening, about 20 posts ago.
At the beginning of chapter 11, where the plastic waterglasses on the dash of the Explorer vibrate to the footsteps of the T-Rex, just before the lawyer says "maybe the power's trying to come back on", the old disc registered about 10 or 12 db lower on my RS SPL meter than the new one, at as close to base reference (VE calibrated) volume level as I could get in a hurry. I do have my sub level a bit higher than strict VE spec, so YMMV. The new one is definitely bassier. Not only is the bass louder and deeper, but reverberates longer. I am happy at last.
BTW, the new disc case is externally different from the old one. The "slot" at the edge where you open the case is about 2 1/2 inches long on the new one vs about 3 1/2 inches long on the old one. I know the security sticker covers this but if you depress the sticker area at the edge, you can feel the shorter slot. Inside, there are 6 retainer tabs for the disc hub, vs 2 on the old one.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I recieved my copy of JP DTS in the original release from Amazon.com and it has the thin opening, 6 prong case. Go with the label, as that seems to be the key. Now if I had my system and $30 bucks handy......
------------------
"Forget the training, when do we get the freakin' guns!"
"Hey pal, you don't get your gun until you tell me your name."

Aaron Carr

Agent
Yep, I think it might be time for high fives all around. I just finished spinning the new disc and I've got to say that this is the Jurassic Park sound that I've been waiting for. This new pressing really kicks ass. I agree with what Steve said that this version is definitely bassier. Oh and Greg_t my disc did not have the "playstation compatible" sticker on it. It had only the red Jurassic Park 3 sticker.

Aaron Carr

Agent
Yeah I don't think the cases are what you want to look for when trying to find the new disc. The opening on the side of my case is really long almost the full length of the case. My old one has the shorter one that Steve is talking about so go with the (WS) (DTS) when looking for the new disc.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
we've said it again but a repeat won't hurt: this is one GIGANTIC and NASTY mess by Universal!
furious.gif

mega confusion, no recalls, no press release, nothin' !!

T r o y

Supporting Actor
DarrenA -
You the Man!! I'll be picking up my copy of the new improved
(DTS) DVD of JP today at your house
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
!!
Peace brother!
Troy

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Its good they are starting to appear and some of us are getting their mits on it, I can probably hold out until I go to LA in Spetmeber where hopefully I can pick up a corrected copy. I'd feel safer holding it in my own hands and checking the stickers and what have you.
Dan (UK)
------------------
Visit: Link Removed
Latest Review: Die Hard with A Vengeance SE

HenrikTull

Second Unit
YAY! Universal fucked me over the first time with JP and now I have to buy it again! WOOHOO! SNOOTCH!
Thank you Universal for admitting you made a mistake and exchanging my defective copy of JP with the new one! Oh wait...you didn't do that did you?

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'm as miffed as anybody else over this whole sorry saga, but the point is the new disc is out there and is identifiable, so the whole issue of knowing which is which is now moot.
Concerning exchanges or refunds; talk to your vendor and see what their policy is. If worst comes to worst, you can always sell your old copy on Ebay and get a good chunk of the money back.
It would be nice if Universal just offered an exchange programme for this but I doubt if they even acknowledge the first disc as being faulty. Lots of politics, especially where DTS are concerned.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
You're right about that Rob. Does anyone know of a national B&M besides Best Buy that sells DTS discs???
I'd like to pick it up locally but the nearest Best Buy is extremely far away.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

DanR

Supporting Actor
If worst comes to worst, you can always sell your old copy on Ebay and get a good chunk of the money back.
I disagree with this statement, and would encourage people not to mislead a fellow human being by selling the faulty disc on Ebay.
Just because Universal screwed you, does not mean it's ok to screw someone on Ebay who doesn't know the truth. I'm very disappointed with that kind of logic, especially from a long time collector.
I'm not yet decided on what to do about this. My feeling is that I should go buy the new disc (since it's the only way i'll get it), and send the receipt and old version to Universal and ask for re-imbursement. I'm sure they'll laugh, but it will make me feel a hell of a lot better.
Regards,
Dan

DarrenA

Second Unit
Their are millions of people who own DVD players, but who play the audio straight through their television speakers. I doubt these folks are going to have a problem with the original DTS DVD copy of Jurassic Park.
You have to remember that the amount of people who even think that original DTS DVD sounded poor is EXTREMELY small. Even though the old disc has a low level .LFE channel, doesn't in essence make it defective (I know, I know, most of "us" here call it defective).
FWIW, I have plenty of friends, family members and neighbors that would be very content with my old copy. Most of these folks are not anywhere close to being as passionate about HT and DVDs as the folks on this forum.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Aaron Carr

Agent
I agree with DanR. I really have a hard time with people just wanting to throw their old copies onto ebay without properly identifying them. Those of you that do this are doing EXACTLY what Universal has done to us here. Your going to mislead others into buying a disc you rightfully know is mis-mastered just because you say we (HTF members) are a small niche of people that actually care about DTS 5.1 sound and others really don't??? If people on ebay are bidding on the DTS version I have a feeling they are wanting to buy it strictly for the DTS sound. I mean come on guys it's a $20 disc is it really worth sinking to Universal's level for $20. I think not and I for one am going to keep my old copy just so I can demo the difference in sound to friends and family. Plus this whole mess has been such a headache the old disc is like a collectors item for me now. This is just my two cents on this and take it as you will but I feel us members of the HTF should be bigger men and not stoop to Universal's level and sell our old discs to unsuspecting buyers. If anything we need to really get the word out and let everyone know that the new disc are available.

DanR

Supporting Actor
Even though the old disc has a low level .LFE channel, doesn't in essence make it defective (I know, I know, most of "us" here call it defective).
Ok, then when you put it up on Ebay, say the following:
"This is the original pressing of Jurassic Park DTS. It has since been pulled and replaced by a new pressing with a different soundtrack at the order of it's manufacturer, Universal Home Video. This new pressing has more bass, but if you don't have a great sound system with deep bass, then it shouldn't matter to you. THIS is the version you want."
confused.gif

Then we'll see how many people will want to buy this old version of Jurassic DTS. . .
Anyway you put it, you are rationalizing the sale of a "defective" product. Sorry, guys, it's just wrong.
Regards,
Dan

Brandon_S

Second Unit
DanR,
I think many people shop on Ebay because they believe they can save money that way. I fully plan to explain the situation to the potential buyers if and when I post my old copy of JP on Ebay. For a lot of people in the world, a DTS JP disc costing them 15 dollars with lower LFE is a better deal than say the 25 they might pay at retail for the repressed version. As far as those selling their copies are upfront about the situation, I see no problem in selling the disc on Ebay. It's not like we are forcing people to bid on them. Just my 2 cents :).
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
[email protected]

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dan, stop jumping to conclusions and accusing me of screwing people. Nowhere did I suggest to rip anybody off. Nowhere did I suggest passing the first disc off as something it isn't.
To be honest I'm really pissed off with what you've just said. Do you automatically think the worst of people?
------------------
Link Removed
"One does not simply walk into Mordor."
Link Removed

DanR

Supporting Actor
Brandon,
Hey, if the buyer is made aware of what has happened, and makes the decision to go ahead with the purchase, then go for it. The key is that the person is making the educated choice in your situation.
The way you are proposing the sale with full disclosure gives me hope for humanity. The problem is that most people won't sell it the way you are going to do so. In a day of "faceless" internet communication, people seem to be more bold and have complete disregard for the fellow human being on the other end of the line.
Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks