What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

Brandon_S

Second Unit
This is great news! Hopefully I can swing into Best Buy sometime this week and get the corrected version and send the old one packing on Ebay.
------------------
bdohtf.jpg

http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
[email protected]

Spero D

Second Unit
Yikes DVD-Empire is out of stock. That was quick or haven't they updated there page with the new stock?
Spero D.

Werner H

Grip
Best Buy has the new version.
Also the new ones don't have the "Playstation compatable" sticker on them.
Just picked up one today.
Enjoy

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
wow! thanks for the scoop guys! Will order mine then. I hope Amazon send me the good one
biggrin.gif

thanks again for the precious info.
but it's still a nasty way of doing business from Universal!!

DanR

Supporting Actor
I hate to keep going over this, but we just want to make sure for everyone's sake. . .
We know that the (DTS) labeled one contains the new version, but are we also sure that 100% of the "old" versions have ONLY DTS and not (DTS)?
Looking for confirmatory evidence is a good thing, but we have to also look for evidence that may show that not all (DTS) labeled DVDs have the new soundtrack. It's a common flaw with the human psyche to only consider the confirmatory evidence, and then jump to a conclusion. In fact, I think there is a term in psychology for this sort of thing.
Just making sure.
Regards,
Dan

Aaron Carr

Agent
Hey guys,
I think we might be jumping the gun here. Ok as promised in an earlier post I said I would reply back once I had some new information from Don at DVDempire. Well, today Don and I have been trying to sort this all out. This brings us right to DanR's question. Don wanted me to find out if the old disc had (WS DTS) or the (WS) (DTS) on the security sticker because he sent all the discs he had back to Universal once he got the new ones in. So I went out to the local Best Buy and while looking at the DTS Jurassic Parks they had in stock ALL OF THEM had the (WS) (DTS) marking. Also the Lost World DTS had the same exact (WS) (DTS) marking on it too. Now we know for a fact that the only disc re-pressed is Jurassic Park and not the Lost World so this leads me to believe that the (WS) (DTS) is the exact same labeling that comes on the old disc as well. Which brings us right back to where we started from. Now i'm not doubting that DVDempire didn't have the right disc because Don himself tested one copy and it sounded like the LFE problem had been fixed. So we will have to wait and see what everyone has to say once they get their copies from DVDempire. I would like to point out that Don Pritchett has been extremely helpful with wanting to figure out this puzzle as much as we do. In fact he is a member of the HTF. I would personally like to say thank you Don for you help so far. He stated that if in fact the discs he had arent the re-pressed disc those who bought it can gladly return them. So I don't think we can close the book on this case just yet fellas. I believe that the all the versions old and new have the same marking of (WS) (DTS). Here is one of the e-mails he sent me today....
Hi Aaron
I read Home Thetaer and am a member also and quite frankly: I love you
guys! You are professional, courteous and the most knowledgable bunch in
the industry, so I'm always happy to give a hand.
Now, this is where you might be able to help me because I believe the
logo is on the top spine rip and it is marked with a parantheses around
the DTS . It looks like this
JURASSIC PARK (WS) (DTS)
and the only difference I can tell is the old logo has both items in the
same parentheses. Now, we do not have any of the old product in stock.
We had minimal copies left and I already shipped them back, so all we
have is this new logo.
Now the confusing part is I believe this logo to be new, but I have none
of the old to compare it to. I ripped the spine rip off my disc long
ago, but I have indeed tried Lost World out the other night and it seems
to be the correct pressing with the DTS in the correct ratio throughout.
So I have to stand by what I heard as opposed to what I see, but I do
promise that we stand behind what we sell, and if you do get a disc
based on erroneous information, we will take it back and do everything
we can to get you the right one.
I also have to mention that the only other difference was that this disc
did not include the pamphlet about JP3, and it should have.
I hope all of this helps and if I am wrong, be sure to tell me so I
don't let it go much further
thanks
don pritchett

greg_t

Screenwriter
Dan,
If it helps any, I went to two local best buy's after hearing this news. I found two copies of JP dts, both had the original DTS spine. There were no copies with the (DTS) symbol. both of the ones I saw also had the "playstation compatible" stickers on them. It looks like tommorow will be a looong day of searching best buy's.

DarrenA

Second Unit
I also tested the new Jurassic Park DTS DVD disc with the (WS)(DTS) label against my old copy, and the bass was considerably deeper and more pronounced. Didn't Cliff S from the DVDfile mention something earlier in this thread about the difference in the (DTS) label on the top of the DVD?
The copies I picked up today came straight out of a warehouse and the truck delivered these today.
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

greg_t

Screenwriter
I looked at two best buy's and a movie store called saturday matinee. all three had JP dts. the spine on all three was as follows:
Jurassic Park DTS
collectors edition
all three had the "playstation compatible: sticker on the front
There were no dvd's with the Jurassic Park (DTS) (WS)
spine as shown in the scan in the post above. There WERE copies of the dts lost world that had the (DTS) spine, and if I'm not mistaken "Jaws" also had the (DTS) spine. I am going to try three different best buys in my area tommorow and see if I can find any with (DTS) spine.
Again, I did see JP with the "original", or non (DTS)(WS)spine.

Werner H

Grip
I picked up the JP(WS)(DTS) version and compared it to the original version and it is indeed different with plenty more in the low end. My old copy does not have the ( ) around the DTS marking. I played both to compare and the (DTS) version is clearly not the same audio as the original.
It's much closer to my DTS laserdisc of JP.
Werner

Aaron Carr

Agent
Well, I went back to the Best Buy and picked one of the Jurassic Park copies that I saw with the (WS) (DTS). But what now puzzles me is why does the Lost World have the same (WS) (DTS) marking too? Maybe Universal just made a second pressing of the same disc of Lost World that is already out and the (WS) (DTS) is a way to identify second pressings of both Jurassic Park and Lost World? Could Universal have corrected the Lost Worlds audio as well? But I clearly saw copies of the Lost World with the (WS) (DTS) marking.
Aaron

Werner H

Grip
My original LW had the (WS)(DTS) logo also,so I don't believe they redid it. Also saw it at BB and it also had the () and the 'Playstation sticker" and BB never sold out of LW copies. I'm in there at least 3 times a week.
I believe that along with the (WS)(DTS) logo the new pressing will not have the 2 stickers that the 1st one and the LW have. The 1st sticker is on the upper left and states the link to JP3 and the 2nd is the "playstation compatable" sticker.
That should make it stand out easier.
A sales person at BB told me the JP's had came in on tuesday and were put out on Wed. Before that I hadn't seen a JP DTS dvd there or in another BB in over 3 months but the LW was always there.
Regards
Werner

greg_t

Screenwriter
Aaron,
Take a listen to it and post your impressions of it as soon as you get time. Werner H feels that this is indeed the new pressing and is on level with the dts ld. Please give us your opinion on it. I am going to go out and search all of my local best buy's tommorow. Wish me luck in finding one! I hope it's worth it after all the months of rumors regarding this disc. also, did your new copy have the "playstation compatible" sticker on the front?

Users who are viewing this thread