What's new

how to identify the new JP (and LW?) dts discs + who has done a review yet ? (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I doubt these sites or any other will take an official position to force Universal. As sad as it is, this is not like a disc missing from a box or whatever and can be legally considered totally subjective. Arguments could pop out such as the laserdiscs were too bassy etc. I'm playing devil's advocate here, I know.
But, hey, we can ask Cliff or Bill but they had the new disc for a few months now and no editorial was done so......

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
In retaliation, I'm boycotting any and all DVDs from Universal. It's unusual for me to have feelings that are this strong, but after everything I've been reading, the frustration is building up quite rapidly.
------------------
fightclub33.jpg

DanR

Supporting Actor
David,
You are right about getting Spielberg's attention. When I get a chance, I'm going to ask Ron Epstein's permission to print this thread (and the one in the Feedback Forum) and try to send them to Amblin Entertainment.
The only other thing I can think of is getting that Spielberg spokesperson. I forgot his first name, but his last name is Levy I think. I've seen him quoted at DVDFile . . . so maybe we should start there. Maybe Cliff S. or Peter B. from DVDFile could either 1.)put these threads here in Levy's hands for us or 2.)Give us the phone # or address, but that's doubtful.
I'm going to contact a few people I know, and ask their advice on getting some type of regulatory or legal opinion on this. I have to believe there is some sort of "consumer protection" precedent in place for this type of scenario.
I am absolutely enraged by this business practice. It goes way beyond the money. This is about the principle of the way we're being treated (not to mention those who will unknowingly buy the fualty one still on retailer shelves).
I want a straight answer from Universal on this, and no excuses.
Regards,
Dan

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Dan I agree with you however, which is worse? Having a fixed disc available or Universal possibly getting pissed off with threatened legal action and saying to them selves "Hey is this what we get for fixing the disc like they asked?" "We will never do that again" Neither scenario is good but I would rather trade my old copy and be able to have the better version.
------------------
Jeff Whitford
Hometheater Guru

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I don't think Universal would be able to say that they fixed the problem and are getting the proper one out to consumers. There is no way to know so the consumer either has to keep shelling out the bucks to find it or go without.
I am hopeful(but not optomistic) that Universal will give a release to the retailers that will be able to inform consumers that the disc they are purchasing is the corrected one. They are just waiting to get the message out so that no etailer gets an advantage over the other. (Store A has the right one and store B doesn't) It's similar to the street date thing.
------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

DanR

Supporting Actor
People read into this too much; I'm not proposing any legal action.
All I'm saying is that the proper authorities (whoever they may be) should be made aware of what Universal is doing so that they can decide if it's worth investigating whether Universal is in some sort of violation.
On top of that, I want a response from Universal on this matter, not this "slight of hand" maneuver they're pulling.
Regards,
Dan

Werner H

Grip
Just saw JP DTS at BB and noticed that there was no sticker on them stating "Playstation Compatable". Last week there was on DTS copy left which had the sticker, it was sold and know two new copies without the sticker.
I wonder if the handful of people that got the copies noticed if there was no sticker on the front of the disc???
Can anyone (Obi) reply,please. Maybe this is the answer to the question we are looking for.
Thanks

Aaron Carr

Agent
Someone on the DTS newsgroup just posted that Don Pritchett of DVDEMPIRE.COM has confirmed that they did in fact get the new re-pressed disc in this Tuesday. He said that the discs were just sent to them by Universal without DVDempire even ordering them. Supposedly Don Don Pritchett tested the disc himself and it was in fact the corrected one. I've already sent an e-mail to Dvdempire to see if any of this is correct. So I will post what I find out when I get a response.
Aaron

CliffS

Auditioning
OK, here's what I've heard as of today. The new pressing of JP apparently has a slightly different DTS logo at the top. I'm not sure what exactly this means as I haven't seen it (mine looks identical), but we're trying to get more information about it. I guess if you happen to find a copy that doesn't look exactly the same, that's the one you want. Sorry I don't have anymore information at this time, but it's hopefully a start.
------------------
Cliff
DVDFile.com

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Just recieved this email from DVD Empire:
Thank you for your recent e-mail. I have just called Don to confirm some information regarding the DTS version of Jurassic Park. The new version is all that we have in our warehouse. The difference is in the peel off label on the spine of the title. The new version has (DTS) whereas the old version has just DTS. We will continue to get these in stock, however, our ordering system is based on a first come first serve basis. Once you place the order a copy will be reserved for you either in the warehouse or in the next order that we receive. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.
Have a nice day :)!!!
I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Sincerely,
Erika
Customer Service Managerwww.dvdempire.com

DanR

Supporting Actor
The plot thickens. I wonder if there will be a "flood" of these new unordered Jurassic DTS DVDs just showing up to all retailers?
Next question: Who's going to be brave enough to buy one of these and confirm for all of us.
Final question: Assuming you get the new version, who's gonna take thier old one, crack it in half, and send it back to Universal Home Video with a nice "F*ck Off" Note to send a "message" to them? I think it would be great if we could get ~ 50-100 people to do this. :)
Regards,
Dan

Mark Ward

Grip
? the production date on the dvd or the barcode could give us a hint since the big 2.5M discs where manufactured in 2000?
Did everyone miss this comment earlier in this thread?
If there is ANY small, subtle difference that could tell us that it is from the 2nd pressing? I'd really like to know as the online store I bought from (DV-Depot) is saying they will replace the discs as faulty just as soon as they can be sure that the stock they hold is of the new pressing irrespective of Universal's position, being a Canadian store I can't rely on the cover.
Such a shame that a retailer may end up paying instead of Universal.
Mark Ward.
------------------

DarrenA

Second Unit
quote: Next question: Who's going to be brave enough to buy one of these and confirm for all of us.[/quote]
Ok, I did!! Yes, it is true. The label on the spine indicating (DTS) is indeed the repressed version.
I just tried the disc out a few minutes ago, and it was an easily noticeable improvement over the original DTS DVD. The bass was much more pronounced. This is the news we have all been waiting for.
After figuring out these are indeed the corrected versions, I bought three extra copies for HTF members. Since we are the only ones that seem to care about this movie's soundtrack, I wanted these to go to good homes. I'm not looking to make a profit, but rather sell them to anyone who wants one at face value.
The price is $21.00 + shipping. If you want one please email me. OK Folks, all three of these copies sold in about 30 minutes! Everyone who sent me email...YGM!
------------------
DarrenA
The Academy Home Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks