What's new

How to hook up surround sound system with projector, receiver, blu ray and speakers. (1 Viewer)

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
I have ordered all the components for my new home theater system and want to familiarize myself with how to hook everything up and what cables I will need before it gets here. The only thing that has arrived thus far is the Oppo 93 blu ray player. I have ordered and on the way an Epson 8700 UB projector, Pioneer VSX30 receiver, B.I.C F12 sub , Da-let screen and Energy shelf fronts, center and rear surround sound bipole speakers.

From what I have learned on the forums, I would need to hook up as follows below.

1) HDMI cable from Blu Ray player to receiver.

2) HDMI cable from Receiver to Projector.

3) Speaker wire from Receiver to each left and right fronts, left and right backs and center speaker.

4) 120volt power at sub woofer and cable from sub woofer to receiver. ( What type of cable is needed from sub to receiver?)

5) HDMI cable from receiver to cable DVR box.

6) Where is a good place to buy HDMI cable? I will need a 20ft cable to go from projector to receiver. The Oppo already came with a cable to go from Blu Ray to Receiver.

FYI, the Oppo 93 has dual HDMI, so would I be able to utilize both with the system I am putting together or would I just use the one HDMI port connected to the receiver.

Am I on the right track or is there something I am missing?

thanks in advance for your help.

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
( What type of cable is needed from sub to receiver?)
Sub cable or any shielded cable with RCA connectors. I use RG-6 with F to RCA adapters.

6. Monoprice or Blue Jeans for all of your cable needs.

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by Robert_J

Sub cable or any shielded cable with RCA connectors. I use RG-6 with F to RCA adapters.

6. Monoprice or Blue Jeans for all of your cable needs.

I checked out both stores. How come the HDMI cables sold at Blue Jeans are double to triple the price at Monoprice?

Is the 24AWG CL2 Silver Plated High Speed HDMI cable sold at Monoprice a good quality cable?

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
I am not sure what gauge hdmi cable I bought from monoprice. I think it was the 24 gauge. I used it to connect from dvd player to receiver (I think). Anyway, it was much too stiff. It had very little "bend" in it. The end on it eventually came loose, so I ordered another cable from them (very good company, I think), this time I ordered a more supple cable which I think is the 28 ga (I don't recall a 26 ga. which is what I wanted). Might be something to think about.

Sounds like you are putting together a really nice ht system.

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by mccambley

Thanks for the information. It looks like I should get at least the 24 gauge listed in your link. $20 is a great price. A similar cable from Monster is over $100.

The Oppo has dual HDMI ports. would I only use one port to the receiver or do you use both?

Also, I have read where people hook up the two front left and right speakers from the sub. Do you recommend that or just hooking up to the receiver along with the other speakers.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by RCPJohn42

The Oppo has dual HDMI ports. would I only use one port to the receiver or do you use both?

Also, I have read where people hook up the two front left and right speakers from the sub. Do you recommend that or just hooking up to the receiver along with the other speakers.

You would only use one HDMI cable from the Oppo to the reciever. The dual outputs comes into play if you want to watch 3D video (which requires HDMI 1.4) but don't have an HDMI 1.4 receiver. One HDMI would be used to send the 3D video directly to the display, and the other would provide lossless audio to the receiver.

As for the speaker connections, high-level (speaker wire) connections on subwoofers are really intended for folks whose receiver does not have a dedicated subwoofer output. For this configuration, you run both front speakers to the subwoofer and use the subwoofer's built-in crossover to route the lows to the subwoofer and pass the rest of the signal to the left/right front speaker.

If you have a dedicated subwoofer pre-out (RCA jack) then you should just use that instead and let the subwoofer's amp do the rest (the subwoofer's crossover won't really come into play in this case).

RCPJohn42

Agent
Real Name
John Billig
Originally Posted by Jason Charlton

You would only use one HDMI cable from the Oppo to the reciever. The dual outputs comes into play if you want to watch 3D video (which requires HDMI 1.4) but don't have an HDMI 1.4 receiver. One HDMI would be used to send the 3D video directly to the display, and the other would provide lossless audio to the receiver.

As for the speaker connections, high-level (speaker wire) connections on subwoofers are really intended for folks whose receiver does not have a dedicated subwoofer output. For this configuration, you run both front speakers to the subwoofer and use the subwoofer's built-in crossover to route the lows to the subwoofer and pass the rest of the signal to the left/right front speaker.

If you have a dedicated subwoofer pre-out (RCA jack) then you should just use that instead and let the subwoofer's amp do the rest (the subwoofer's crossover won't really come into play in this case).

Thanks so much. Yes, the pioneer VSX30 has a dedicated subwoofer pre-out, so I will use it. Understand on the HDMI connection from the Blu Ray to the receiver. All my components are HDMI compatible, so it looks like hooking up will be easy. HDMI from Blu Ray to receiver, HDMI from receiver to projector, HDMI from receiver to cable/DVR box, single cable from sub to receiver and 14 guage speaker wire from speakers to receiver.

thanks,

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks