What's new

How to go about switching component sources with sound (1 Viewer)

Tyler P

Auditioning
My tv only has one set of component inputs, however I have a PS2, DVD player, and an upcoming x-box. All of which I would like to use component cables with. I did alot of searching on this board, and have concluded that people suggest just getting a regular composite switcher instead of a more expensive component switcher. My question is, how would I go about switching both audio and video from each source? Can I just buy two of these: http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=sonsbv31g and have the video go through one switch, while the audio goes through the other. So when I want to watch a DVD i would switch both to input 1, and when i want to play PS2, I would switch both to input 2?

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Welcome to the HTF!

and have concluded that people suggest just getting a regular composite switcher instead of a more expensive component switcher.
Depends on your priorities. If all your equipment is capable of supporting component video, you should get noticeably better video using your sources' component outputs and your TV's component inputs, with an appropriate switching device between them. Again, it's your call on video quality priority and your sensitivity to it.

If you do choose composite video, it's unclear to me whether you need two of the switchers in your link or just one. I don't know whether the three sets of connectors are really two inputs and one output or if there is a hidden set of outputs on the rear.

Since you're in the HTF, there's an assumption that you'd want to integrate as much of your HT system into the mix as possible. Thus, you may benefit from switching the audio through a multichannel receiver. You can still switch the video via a separate box. The downside is that you'd have to switch two different devices (receiver and external box) when changing your source (unless you got a learning remote with macro programming, assuming the external box has remote capability). Also from an audio perspective, if you expect to be switching your audio with this switcher, then your sources are limited to outputting 2 channel analog audio. If you have or are expecting to eventually get a multichannel system, then you really would need a multichannel receiver for the audio. In this scenario, your sources can provide digital output to your receiver, thus allowing you to make use of Dolby Digital 5.1 and related multichannel material. (I'm assuming the game boxes support Dolby Digital et al; I have no experience with them.)

Hope this helps.

Doug

Tyler P

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice Doug. But to clarify the situation better, the video game systems are hooked up to a seperate TV in my game room. I leave my main rear projection TV as the HT setup solely devoted to dvd since I don't like playing games on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks