What's new

How to get surround sound to my TV (1 Viewer)

johnRe

Auditioning
Hello,

I just bought a cheap Home Theatre in a box for my room, nothing fancy. Its not a well known brand name, its got a built in dvd player, and I can get surround sound fine from playing dvd's, but I'm not sure how to connect it to the TV to get the sound going to my speakers. I'm not sure what kind of information to give out but if you can help me and need me to give more info ill try my best.

Thanks

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
Look for an audio line out from your tv to connect to an audio line in on the receiver. It could be analog (red/white) or digital (optical or coax) depending on what kind of tv you have. If you post the make and models of your tv and HT, someone might be kind enough to look it up for you.

johnRe

Auditioning
Well, I can't seem to find out the exact model of my TV, its an early 2000 20" RCA TV that's all I know, the HT is an Electrohome HTB903E. My TV has 2 sets of analog (Yellow/White/Red) sockets on it, one set in the front and one in the back. The HT has one Yellow analog socket, and 2 sets of white and red ones that say line out on one side and line in on the other. I hope that helps.

Thanks

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
You need an audio out from your tv to connect to the audio in for your HT. If your tv doesn't have red/white line out jacks (and it sounds like it doesn't) you can try the back of your cable/sat box if you are using one, or even a vcr if you have one hooked up. The satellite/cable signal should still be pretty clean, but if you go the vcr route, you are introducing an additional device into the signal path that could cause some signal noise. You also have to have the vcr on when you watch tv and deal with the whole vcr to channel 3, or line 1 or whatever, volume and channel changing issues, etc.

In addition, you won't be getting true 5.1 surround sound this way. Most HT receivers will take a stereo signal (all that can be carried with red/white 2 channel jacks) and simulate a 5.1 surround experience. It could sound pretty good, but not like the 5.1 dolby or dts you will get from dvds.

johnRe

Auditioning
Thanks for the help. Yeah I don't think I have the out jacks coming from my TV, I noticed that our big TV downstairs has tons of line jacks and a set that says "Line Out". I;m going to try hooking it up down there to see if it works which im sure it will now that I you guys have told me how to do it. Looks like I'll have to take my old VCR from the basement and dust it off though to use it in my room:frowning:

Anyways thanks for the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks