What's new

How to Get sound from AVR when External HD is connected to TV ?? (1 Viewer)

MANAN MEHTA

Auditioning
Real Name
MANAN MEHTA
Hi
I have a STB + Onkyo AVR(with Bose connected speakers) + Samsung smart TV in my home.

My current connection is :
STB (HDMI) to TV (HDMI)
AVR (HDMI) to TV (HDMI)
STB (optical cable) to AVR (optical cable)>>>> This connection gives me the 5.1 DD sound when I play HD channels and my onkyo receiver clearly shows me if the sound playing is dolby or not.

NOW

I want to ask:
When I connect my EXTERNAL hard disk to the usb drive of TV, and play a movie, the sound is coming from the Tv and not from the AVR(onkyo+bose).

The USB drive of onkyo doesn't allow all video formats so I am no other option but to use tv usb drive only. The USB drive on my tv allow all video formats, but I am not able to get the sound from my AVR.

Please help.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
You don't mention any model numbers for your TV or AVR.

If your Samsung TV has ARC (Audio Return Channel), make sure the HDMI connection from the AVR is connected to the ARC HDMI input on the TV (usually only one HDMI is designated ARC). The ARC will carry audio to and from the TV and AVR.

Otherwise, do you have an optical out on the TV to use to an optical in on the AVR?

Last edited:

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why aren't you connecting the STB via HDMI to the Onkyo.

Then that frees up the optical to use TV - Onkyo. Since you don't have that connection yet.

And "what other sources" are there that makes the HDMI from the Onkyo to the TV where it is actually "doing anything"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks