How to get my surround sound to work with ALL of my systemsA

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by -, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Guest

Hi guys,

Okay im am entirely confused and tried putting all of my effort planning on how im going to do this.

My Mission

I am trying to hook up all of the following systems so that all of my Systems run with my surround sound. with that being said everything I have as a/an HDMI ports.

Components:

Sharp Quattron TV

• 4 HDMI Ports
    • Audio input right and left RCAx2

Panasonic Surround Sound receiver/DVD

• Right and Left "AUX" inputs
    • 1 HDMI port

Cable Box

• HDMI

PS3

• HDMI

XBOX 360

• HDMI

I was looking on monoprice and I found this http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011002&p_id=5557&seq=1&format=2

Now how would I wire this to make all of my systems work with my surround sound? If I wired my surround sound wit an HDMI cable into the "output" then wire everything else through the inputs, will this work? They're maybe an easier way? Thank You!

-Ben

2. mikeabt

mikeabt Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

I assume that the one HDMI port on the Panasonic receiver is an output to the television for High Def picture because the onboard DVD is up-converting. If that is correct and the only other inputs are a left and right channel then you will not be able to have discrete channel audio through the receiver, however you will be able to have prologic, five-channel stereo or other proprietary Panasonic surround.

If the HDMI is an input to the receiver then you will get the full discrete channel surround through the receiver. I think also you will need two outputs on the switch so you can have High Def picture while getting the surround audio throughput.

Not sure I have enough information to verify. Are there other video outputs on the reciver to the television like component?

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Simply put, the Panasonic box won't work for you. It has the fatal flaw inherent in most low-end all in one system - no support for external devices - well, support for ONE analog stereo audio connection that will provide pseudo-surround sound, but that's it.

Most of us here would recommend you get a "real" receiver that can grow with your system and can allow you to realize the full benefit of HDMI. Receivers with "built in" DVD players are generally a bad idea - one part of the equation goes out and you're down the whole system.

You have 3 HDMI sources, so you need a receiver that has at least 3 HDMI inputs. Chances are the speakers that came with your Panasonic system won't work with another receiver, too - but to know for sure, we'll need the model # of the Panasonic system you have.

Sorry - that's probably not what you wanted to hear, but with that Panny as your receiver, you're stuck.

4. Guest

Thank You very much for the replies. I 100% agree with you on the Panasonic not being compatible. I have been searching online for a reciever and speakers. What would you guys recommend for a good receiver/surround sound combo? I am mostly going to be playing video games or watching movies. I also don't want to spend much probably 500 at the most? Here is the model # of my panasonic receiver SA-HP740.

5. mikeabt

mikeabt Stunt Coordinator

Ben,

I think you are making a good decision to move up with a new receiver. You can keep the speaker system that you are currently using and possibly go to 7.1 in the future if you catch the HT bug. I would recommend two separates.

I would recommend the Pioneer VSX-1020. That is currently in the $350 range now at Best Buy. You will also need a new DVD (or BluRay) player. Not sure about the rest of your set-up or your preference, but you can get the proposed receiver and a great player for less than 5 bills.